HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:34 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Another fun day of flying at the field with my 60" Extra (maiden done today), 48" MXS, and 48" Edge... Until the Edge's elevator froze full down while I was inverted. All I could do was cut power and let her fall. Knocked a good amount of paint off the cowling, and a couple of cracks in the top of the rudder.
Not as bad as I was expecting. I've already fixed the rudder, I just need to re-cover it. Cowling needs lots of paint.
(pics are Pre-mishap)
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:47 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
Doc Austin's Avatar
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,455 Posts
What the heck happened to the elevator?
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:01 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,647 Posts
savox servo?
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:01 PM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Space Bat's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Damn sorry to here G - sounds a bit strange servo locked out?? Savox Servo??

Had some fun today when wind calmed down - went flying with son - and a guy was flying his 50" sebart Katana - pretty nice plane.... - really getting the feel of this edge on some pretty insane tumbling and spent some time just doing some slow flying as well
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Last edited by Space Bat; Mar 10, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:07 PM
Registered User
Cabledawg1's Avatar
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Anybody else have the hinges fail around that time? Was thinking the cold possibly could of had something to do with wearing them out faster.
Every hinge except 2 on my 48" Extra has failed. I use blenderm to seal my gaps, so when they do break, its hardly noticeable. Ive replaced them with Radio South hinges and all is well.
Cabledawg1 is online now Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:12 PM
Shut up and Fly!!!
jw357_23043's Avatar
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickg66 View Post
Another fun day of flying at the field with my 60" Extra (maiden done today), 48" MXS, and 48" Edge... Until the Edge's elevator froze full down while I was inverted. All I could do was cut power and let her fall. Knocked a good amount of paint off the cowling, and a couple of cracks in the top of the rudder.
Not as bad as I was expecting. I've already fixed the rudder, I just need to re-cover it. Cowling needs lots of paint.
(pics are Pre-mishap)
If you need to fill voids in your cowling go to your local hardware store and pick up some marine epoxy paste. It comes in a 2 part container with a paste consistency. It works very well as I used it on my 70" cowling. Very lightweight, paintable, and easy to sand. It's called PC-11.
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:20 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
Doc Austin's Avatar
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,455 Posts
A new cowling for a 48" plane is only like $19.95. You'll probably spend $10 on a can of paint and I can guarantee you there's gonna be $10 worth of aggrivation.

Just sayin'.

I'm sure the canopy got some damage too, but the last time I landed my Edge upside down it was not so bad and I was able to buff it out with McQuire's Cleaner Wax. These canopies have enough tint in them that you don't have to get them pefect. When they are on the plane a few nicks aren't going to show up.

If the canopy got scuffed up bad, wet sand it with 2500 grit until you get it smooth and then hit it the the McGuire's. If it's real bad you might even have to use a dremel and buffing wheel. Worst case just put a decal over it!
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Mar 10, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,346 Posts
There's nothing like new parts.....
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:09 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
Every hinge except 2 on my 48" Extra has failed. I use blenderm to seal my gaps, so when they do break, its hardly noticeable. Ive replaced them with Radio South hinges and all is well.
Blenderm... Can it be removed? Even on ailerons? Covering should work right?
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:13 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
What the heck happened to the elevator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
savox servo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat View Post
Damn sorry to here G - sounds a bit strange servo locked out?? Savox Servo??

Had some fun today when wind calmed down - went flying with son - and a guy was flying his 50" sebart Katana - pretty nice plane.... - really getting the feel of this edge on some pretty insane tumbling and spent some time just doing some slow flying as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw357_23043 View Post
If you need to fill voids in your cowling go to your local hardware store and pick up some marine epoxy paste. It comes in a 2 part container with a paste consistency. It works very well as I used it on my 70" cowling. Very lightweight, paintable, and easy to sand. It's called PC-11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
A new cowling for a 48" plane is only like $19.95. You'll probably spend $10 on a can of paint and I can guarantee you there's gonna be $10 worth of aggrivation.

Just sayin'.

I'm sure the canopy got some damage too, but the last time I landed my Edge upside down it was not so bad and I was able to buff it out with McQuire's Cleaner Wax. These canopies have enough tint in them that you don't have to get them perfect. When they are on the plane a few nicks aren't going to show up.

If the canopy got scuffed up bad, wet sand it with 2500 grit until you get it smooth and then hit it the the McGuire's. If it's real bad you might even have to use a dremel and buffing wheel. Worst case just put a decal over it!
Thank you all for the concern and advice. Yes, it was a Savox servo, the SH-0255MG. When I went and picked up the airplane, the servo was full down, and not moving. I left the battery in and checked everything when I walked up to the plane, everything worked except the elevator.
As for the repairs, I fixed the rudder pretty quick, as you can see it just needs to be recovered. The cowling was dented and the paint chipped, but as soon as I popped out the dent, it regained it's shape. I'll probably add some CA, sand, and repaint with some testors paints that I have on hand... if it looks like crap, I'll order another one, no biggie.

I'm honestly just really pissed about the random servo failure!
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Last edited by -= GYRO =-; Mar 10, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:20 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,647 Posts
iirc that's not the first exp a savox servo has killed.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:22 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
iirc that's not the first exp a savox servo has killed.
I didn't know there have been others... BUT, mine is far from Killed! She could be flying again tomorrow, but I'm busy tonight...
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:27 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,647 Posts
ach, you're right, sorry. totally jumped the gun there.

I think MLT had one lock up and kill his extra. someone else have had an issue, too. I seem to remember Tom K. saying that the savox were particularly fond of perfect linkage geometry.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:34 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickg66 View Post
I didn't know there have been others... BUT, mine is far from Killed! She could be flying again tomorrow, but I'm busy tonight...
Thats a bummer that the savox did that... Could of been much worse. Sux when it's caused by something out of your control.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
ach, you're right, sorry. totally jumped the gun there.

I think MLT had one lock up and kill his extra. someone else have had an issue, too. I seem to remember Tom K. saying that the savox were particularly fond of perfect linkage geometry.
I'm somewhat shocked. I just got a 3dhs 74" Edge, and everyone over in that thread keeps raving about the 1258 titanium geared servos... I'm not sure about buying them now...
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool New - Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP!!! hercdriver7777 3D Flying 10367 Today 12:00 AM
Sold Extreme Flight Extra EXP 48 RTF HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 15, 2010 09:47 PM
Sold 48" Edge EXP Extreme Flight, make offer crazyflyin Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Sep 14, 2010 06:45 AM
Sold Extreme Flight EXP Extra 48inch (Red n Black) HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 12, 2010 01:43 AM
Sold Extreme Flight Edge 540 EXP Rc_heli_flier Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Sep 01, 2010 11:51 AM