Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:10 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsocio View Post
Man, it looks you really had fun!

awesome vid!

Thanks MAX!

It gave me a excuse to buy a new MSX! I've never laughed so hard, at the field!! It was worth the sacrifice..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:21 AM
I fly em', there for I am.
SBOTI74's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Morning EXP fellowship. Tim, I just wanted to say thanks for doing the build videos. I've already learned a few new tricks for when my Edge gets here. Anyway, thanks man.
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:41 AM
They Call him Dead!
YellowJacketsRC's Avatar
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74 View Post
Morning EXP fellowship. Tim, I just wanted to say thanks for doing the build videos. I've already learned a few new tricks for when my Edge gets here. Anyway, thanks man.
Didn't someone do a build log for the 60" Edge? Was it Flop?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:06 AM
I fly em', there for I am.
SBOTI74's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
Didn't someone do a build log for the 60" Edge? Was it Flop?
There is a 60" Edge thread but there's nothing like this build log Tim is going. I wish there was... But, watching the 60" Extra build log has helped me look at some things I've never done before..
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:32 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Tom K.'s Avatar
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
Here's the un-boxing video of my new 60" Edge EXP! Woohoo!

Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP__Un-Boxing Review (9 min 54 sec)


--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:03 PM
Registered User
leespaddock's Avatar
USA, WA, Redmond
Joined Aug 2010
231 Posts
Propeller Pondery / Brand Comparison

Ever lie awake at night wondering what is the best propeller brand for a given setup? Is a $14 prop better than a $7? Is there really a performance difference between a wood or composite prop? Can you really tell a difference between a dedicated electric prop vs. a glow prop? Which prop is better for 3D or IMAC? Which prop fly’s better not just tests better? Inquiring minds want to know!

In the coming weeks I will be testing multiple propeller brands both measurability (bench test) and subjectively (flight test). I have also solicited a couple of creditable RC groups contributors to give their insight as well. I wanted to find out just what is the best prop brand for the (60" EXP plane / motor 4016T/500 / esc 80A / batt 6S 3300mah ) combination. Note, I am not getting paid to do this propeller comparison nor was I provided any propellers for free, this will be a straight up test.

Here are the brands I will be testing:
Xoar PJN
Vox
Vess Sport
Falcon
EMP Neodym Scimitar
APC E

Oh yes there will be armchair critics because like anything else part of it comes down to personal preference. However after my testing, if you can prove that you are a legitimate RC contributor, have the skills, background and attention to detail, I will send you the entire prop array for a second test run. A second posted independent test using the same props with the same or different equivalent power set up.

Beware if you derogatorily speak up then get ready to man up (3D/IMAC posers) and do the whole prop test your self. The first potential criticism... how am I qualified to do the test? I am Project Manager for a Seattle based Airplane Mfg...

Sit back and prepare your self for some fun, lively debate and cool results in the coming weeks. So just who is the best prop mfg? We are going to find out.

Lee
leespaddock is offline Find More Posts by leespaddock
Last edited by leespaddock; Oct 16, 2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Updated Pic
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:10 PM
They Call him Dead!
YellowJacketsRC's Avatar
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74 View Post
There is a 60" Edge thread but there's nothing like this build log Tim is going. I wish there was... But, watching the 60" Extra build log has helped me look at some things I've never done before..
I will check it out. My guess is that there is little difference between building the Extra and the Edge. Anybody care to comment on known differences that I should be worried about before building my Edge?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:14 PM
They Call him Dead!
YellowJacketsRC's Avatar
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leespaddock View Post
Ever lie awake at night wondering what is the best propeller brand for a given setup? Is a $14 prop better than a $7? Is there really a performance difference between a wood or composite prop? Can you really tell a difference between a dedicated electric prop vs. a glow prop? Which prop is better for 3D or IMAC? Which prop fly’s better not just tests better? Inquiring minds want to know!

In the coming weeks I will be testing multiple propeller brands both measurability (bench test) and subjectively (flight test). I have also solicited a couple of creditable RC groups contributors to give their insight as well. I wanted to find out just what is the best prop brand was for the (60" EXP plane / motor 4016T/500 / esc 80A / batt 6S 3300mah ) combination. Note, I am not getting paid to do this propeller comparison nor was I provided any propellers for free, this will be a straight up test.

Here are the brands I will be testing:
Xoar PJN
Vox
Vess Sport
Falcon
EMP Neodym Scimitar
APC E

Oh yes there will be armchair critics because like anything else part of it comes down to personal preference. However after my testing, if you can prove that you are a legitimate RC contributor, have the skills, background and attention to detail, I will send you the entire prop array for a second test run. A second posted independent test using the same props with the same or different equivalent power set up.

Beware if you derogatorily speak up then get ready to man up and do the whole prop test your self. The first potential criticism... how am I qualified to do the test? I am Project Manager for Seattle based Airplane Mfg.

So sit back and prepare your self for some fun, lively debate and cool results in the coming weeks. So just who is the best prop mfg? We are going to find out.

Lee
Awesome Lee! I can not wait to get this party started!
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:11 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Tom K.'s Avatar
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
I heard APC had the best efficiency rating... Xoar was either the next best or the best wood... my dad, Aeroplayin, has a lot of this stuff on a spreadsheet somewhere... I think.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:01 PM
KING of PING!
JDMCARPETS's Avatar
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2008
1,044 Posts
Vox and xoar will bury APC as far as highest static thrust,highest rpm,lowest amp draw,and lowest watts per voltage ps. will spool up faster,too
JDMCARPETS is offline Find More Posts by JDMCARPETS
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:07 PM
It's gone...
_OZ_'s Avatar
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMCARPETS View Post
Vox and xoar will bury APC as far as highest static thrust,highest rpm,lowest amp draw,and lowest watts per voltage ps. will spool up faster,too
Well crap, you spoiled the story. No need for the test now .
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:10 PM
3D Hack
JC Spohr's Avatar
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,859 Posts
The data is only part of the equation...

What really matters is the actual in-flight performance and how it feels.
That feel varies from pilot to ilot and from aircraft to aircraft.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JC Spohr; Oct 16, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:57 PM
Registered User
leespaddock's Avatar
USA, WA, Redmond
Joined Aug 2010
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I heard APC had the best efficiency rating... Xoar was either the next best or the best wood... my dad, Aeroplayin, has a lot of this stuff on a spreadsheet somewhere... I think.

--Tom K.
Great Idea Tom. I am one step ahead of you as your dad Aeroplayin is one of the experts that I have solicted for his insight and opinion. Flopgun is the other.

Kindest Regards,
Lee
leespaddock is offline Find More Posts by leespaddock
Last edited by leespaddock; Oct 16, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:01 PM
Registered User
leespaddock's Avatar
USA, WA, Redmond
Joined Aug 2010
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
The data is only part of the equation...

What really matters is the actual in-flight performance and how it feels.
That feel varies from pilot to ilot and from aircraft to aircraft.

JC
Excellent Point. That is why I will be testing the props not only mearsurable (static bench testing) but also subjective (flight testing with a few expert pilots, flying my 60" Extra EXP, possibly a 60" Edge EXP and prehaps a 60" MXS EXP when it becomes available).

This should really stir some people up. I am excited to see some interest out there. Let the debate, speculation and trash talk continue.

The results will be what they will be. Six props tested...One prop wins!!!
Kindest Regards,
Lee
leespaddock is offline Find More Posts by leespaddock
Last edited by leespaddock; Oct 16, 2011 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:48 PM
3D Hack
JC Spohr's Avatar
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leespaddock View Post
Excellent Point. That is why I will be testing the props not only mearsurable (static bench testing) but also subjective (flight testing with a few expert pilots, flying my 60" Extra EXP, possibly a 60" Edge EXP and prehaps a 60" MXS EXP when it becomes available).

This should really stir some people up. I am excited to see some interest out there. Let the debate, speculation and trash talk continue.

The results will be what they will be. Six props test One prop wins!!!
Kindest Regards,
Lee
Lee,

That's what I'm talking about - real life resuults from those in the know.

I very much look forward to your final report. It is going to heavily influence which prop I put on my 60" Extra.

Thanks in advance for the effort you and others will be putting into this.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JC Spohr; Oct 16, 2011 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool New - Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP!!! hercdriver7777 3D Flying 10272 Yesterday 06:02 PM
Sold Extreme Flight Extra EXP 48 RTF HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 15, 2010 09:47 PM
Sold 48" Edge EXP Extreme Flight, make offer crazyflyin Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Sep 14, 2010 06:45 AM
Sold Extreme Flight EXP Extra 48inch (Red n Black) HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 12, 2010 01:43 AM
Sold Extreme Flight Edge 540 EXP Rc_heli_flier Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Sep 01, 2010 11:51 AM