HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:59 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
actually...I know a guy at my field that has exactly that, a QQ Yak with all HK gear. turnigy servos. he flies IMAC with it and says it flies great. pretty sure he has had it for a few years even!
Hahaha... . A guy with a Quique Yak, the godfather of 3D, flying the plane in IMAC, with hobbyking components, telling you it flies great. I guess everything is relative. Notice how quickly they stopped selling those planes. Must have been because they flew great. We don't want any of that goin' on

I can say that, right?
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:00 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
actually...I know a guy at my field that has exactly that, a QQ Yak with all HK gear. turnigy servos. he flies IMAC with it and says it flies great. pretty sure he has had it for a few years even!
Nice. I'm glad he's had no issues. I couldn't do it at that size.
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:01 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
ah, no. I don't care what you fly or what you have in it. his setup is pretty neat in fact, he made his own battery isolation circuit, has an onboard voltage display, most of the servo wiring is custom made.

he's helped me a bunch with precision flying also, for example he flew one of my planes and said the low rate elevator sensitivity was higher than the aileron, and that ideally they should feel the same or similar. he landed and I reduced the elevator dual rate by 5%, went back up, and it was like a new airplane.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:17 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,442 Posts
Quote:
ah, no. I don't care what you fly or what you have in it. his setup is pretty neat in fact, he made his own battery isolation circuit, has an onboard voltage display, most of the servo wiring is custom made.

he's helped me a bunch with precision flying also, for example he flew one of my planes and said the low rate elevator sensitivity was higher than the aileron, and that ideally they should feel the same or similar. he landed and I reduced the elevator dual rate by 5%, went back up, and it was like a new airplane.
Cool. Maybe I should have said, everything is relative to setup.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:32 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,586 Posts
I have a flying buddy that runs HK stuff up front in his 71 slick and a 72 extra... he is a very smooth pilot and makes it look real good. One thing he buys is name brand servos and BECs. That said he is not winning a speed/power contest. He is going to do a electric powered 50cc with HK motor and ESC with 7955s on HV running through a power safe. I call him crazy and it's not for me but good pilots could make HK gear look good. So far never lost a plane due to failure and he flies a lot. I try to put the good stuff in my 3D planes, but I definitely spend a lot more for doing it.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:03 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post

As for the EME, Taildragger seems to be hands-on, straight-up company and the early reports are good. I still wish I had gone with DA the first time around with a gas engine, because, like MLT said, it actually would have saved me money, and a ton of aggravation. You can load a DA up until you bring the RPMs down, and it will pull like a mule. The other engines I've had need to be propped down, and spun up, like a 2-stoke glow, or they would quit in the air no matter much you fatten them up. And, of course, there's that ring thing. The firs time I took my DLE apart, the ring fell off the piston in three pieces. Guys were talking to me like I should have known that.

Have you tried an EME? How did that work out?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:05 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,442 Posts
No, I said this on the previous page...

Quote:
I'm in no rush because I have another two electric projects coming up, so I get to see how they hold up to the test of time. It's no deal if I pay $350 now, have the headaches I had with the early DLE's, then end up having to buy a DA anyway. It's no fun to pull engines off planes that should be in the air to change out bad parts that came with the engine the first time. Valleyview is already offering an optional Bowman ring for the EME.

I would really kick myself if I made a decision that caused me to go through that again. They seem to have sold a lot of these EME engines, so the good news is that we should be hearing the unbiased stories soon.

One thing about the DA-35... my guess is that they waited to get it right, while the other companies jumped on the market in their absence. Won't be the first time I'm wrong about things like this, or the last, but time will tell if the other companies kicked their product out the door and made us beta test it for them, or if they were able to complete their R&D do-diligence faster than DA.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:24 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,740 Posts
Thx
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:40 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
He's a nut case! Very sharp guy. Even designed and built his version of a servo tester. I have to admit I got nervous when he plugged into one of my servos and showed me how it works, but it worked great ! He also admits the hk stuff has issues. If he needs four servos, he buys six, Test the components, then builds four servos from the best parts. Really he's buying components

He made me Prove that I could fly a routine without sfg's, I had to laugh because he kept calling me a cheater with them on.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Jun 2008
155 Posts
Quote:
Hahaha... . A guy with a Quique Yak, the godfather of 3D, flying the plane in IMAC, with hobbyking components, telling you it flies great. I guess everything is relative. Notice how quickly they stopped selling those planes. Must have been because they flew great. We don't want any of that goin' on

I can say that, right?
Even better have you ever owned or flown a QQ 102? Nor just a great 3D airframe but also a fine IMAC aircraft. You do not know what you are writing about.
The two best RC aircraft that I have ever owned and flown are 1. QQ 102 Yak and 2. EF 64 " MXS. Both outstanding.
Richard
rppoind is online now Find More Posts by rppoind
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:21 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,965 Posts
Here's a couple pics of my buddy Kyle's new 88" Edge with some bling on it.

B&E rocks!

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:05 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
Here's a couple pics of my buddy Kyle's new 88" Edge with some bling on it.

B&E rocks!

Look real nice
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:44 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppoind View Post
Even better have you ever owned or flown a QQ 102? Nor just a great 3D airframe but also a fine IMAC aircraft. You do not know what you are writing about.
The two best RC aircraft that I have ever owned and flown are 1. QQ 102 Yak and 2. EF 64 " MXS. Both outstanding.
Richard
Wow... Sorry I laughed at your favorite plane.

Unfortunately, there are not may QQ Yaks around anymore to test so I'll have to take your word for it. I know that they only offered them for a short period of time, and I'm glad that you like them so much, but it is sad that they are just not available anymore. I won't debate you on why they never found a big following, considering the name recognition.

Telling me that I don't know what I'm writing about is, though, something that I can debate you on because I never said anything negative... I laughed because they are not relevant anymore and I would bet that QQ would much rather that you, or anyone else for that matter, buy the new H9 Yak than the old QQ Yak... I would also suggest waiting to see what the EF 91 Yak flies like before you did that, or try the EF 104 Extra.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,312 Posts
Quote:
Wow... Sorry I laughed at your favorite plane.

Unfortunately, there are not may QQ Yaks around anymore to test so I'll have to take your word for it. I know that they only offered them for a short period of time, and I'm glad that you like them so much, but it is sad that they are just not available anymore. I won't debate you on why they never found a big following, considering the name recognition.

Telling me that I don't know what I'm writing about is, though, something that I can debate you on because I never said anything negative... I laughed because they are not relevant anymore and I would bet that QQ would much rather that you, or anyone else for that matter, buy the new H9 Yak than the old QQ Yak... I would also suggest waiting to see what the EF 91 Yak flies like before you did that, or try the EF 104 Extra.
Did someone say Extreme Flight 91" Yak-54?
Here are a few pics from last week. Flight testing is going very well!
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:06 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
Did someone say Extreme Flight 91" Yak-54?

Here are a few pics from last week. Flight testing is going very well!
Damm. Now I gotta have one of those too.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin