HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:07 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
Granted there is not much to these 2 stroke engines and if your even slightly mechanically inclined and have a few key tools, you can tear them down to replace rings, bearing etc. However, if you want a "plug and play" type engine that will consistently give you same reliable performance EVERY single flight and is backed by the best Customer Service you will ever see - Get a DA.

If the only think keeping you from enjoying an awesome Extreme Flight Giant Scale plane is the extra $$$ - then go with DLE or EME.

MLT
I agree DA is where it's at, but at over twice the price with muffler, I'll have to keep it on my wish list for a while longer. with the money I saved by not buying the da, I'm already stashing funds away for another ef frame!

I will be using a Falcon 24x9.
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Last edited by DaaBears; Feb 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:10 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaBears View Post
I agree DA is where it's at, but at over twice the price with muffler, I'll have to keep it on my wish list for a while longer. with the money I saved by not buying the da, I'm already stashing funds away for another ef frame!
Amen. Like, if I can get my parents to pay half... (unlikely... lol) ill get the DA. If not, EME for me
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:59 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,644 Posts
I've had several airframes that started with the bare minimum (ie, cheap) components. I flew them and enjoyed them thoroughly and got used to the way they flew. then after I was completely in love, I gradually upgraded the gear, better servos, bigger motors. it just made me love the plane even more, and combined with the gradual increase in my skill, made my flying even better.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:09 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I've had several airframes that started with the bare minimum (ie, cheap) components. I flew them and enjoyed them thoroughly and got used to the way they flew. then after I was completely in love, I gradually upgraded the gear, better servos, bigger motors. it just made me love the plane even more, and combined with the gradual increase in my skill, made my flying even better.
I used to do this as well, then slowly made sure i always used good servos, then good servos and esc's, then good electronics all the way around... now i use good batteries, motrofly motors, usually stick with hitec digital hv's.

On my 50cc project, i didn't cut any corners, but I still couldn't pull the trigger on the DA.. 7955's, fromeco batteries, powersafe rx, hd extensions all add up quick, but nothing made me pucker like that da.. just couldn't do it yet. If it was $100-200 more, it would be a no brainer.. But when the motor would have cost me more than the airframe, I couldn't get the wife to approve that one. This doesn't mean I don't want the DA, i just couldn't justify the cost yet.

I've seen dozens of happy pilots using the DLE55's, and I'm really curious to see if these eme's bring DA60 power at half the price.. This season will be a big test for these engines!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:18 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,644 Posts
yeah, I should have been more clear.

by "bare minimum" and cheap I meant lower end of high quality. for example, the hitec 985mgs or an older less expensive hacker. I wasn't talking hobby king lol.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:24 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,329 Posts
Make whatever purchase you want.

But these sorts of purchasing decisions are a major part of why american industry has been in decline.

You won't stop the end of american industry if as an individual you make your decision based on "buy american".

Only a political move from fair trade to sane trade can do that, and it wouldn't be without consequences.

Meanwhile, in the absence of trade law chagnes, and until formerly third world wages rise to meet falling U.S. wages, American industry will continue to decline.

Henry Ford once warned that trade with China would bankrupt American industry. Ross Perot and Pat Buchanan also warned about this. But elecected officials only listened to Henry Ford, and only for some decades.

I will likely by an EME for comparison purposes in the future, just as I have bought a hobby king plane in the past. And that hobbyking plane flies better than many reviewers claim and is not such a bad deal, especially for working up the courage to fly low. But it doesn't compare to an EF plane, who keeps their airframes reasonably priced.

But for the 91", I got the DA. Just like my first fully 3D airframe was Extreme Flight. DA is reputed to be the best, and the 91" Extra deserves the best.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,165 Posts
I'll get a DA one day.

I might have given the DA35 more thought but the release kept getting moved back so i got the EME35. So far i'm happy with my purchase and my wallet is thanking me.

I feel like the folks who buy DA are still going to do so but the guys who are using DLEs or similar now have another option.

More good engines on the market at reasonable prices will only sell more airframes for EF.

If the EME was a direct clone of DA i'd be against that but they're their own engine. While they might look similar there are some key differences that someone on FG pointed out. EME is getting it right so hopefully they hold up. I know i'll be beating the poop out of mine so if i have any issues you guys will hear about it.

But with DA you don't have to wait for people to report back on the engine, you can buy with confidence.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:59 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
yeah, I should have been more clear.

by "bare minimum" and cheap I meant lower end of high quality. for example, the hitec 985mgs or an older less expensive hacker. I wasn't talking hobby king lol.
Lol, I'm sure someone out there is flying hobbyking everything on a 50cc plane. Ooo I'd be terrified... how do you have a conversation with that person at the flying field? "Oh, yeah, hobby king? I've heard great things about.... I can't do this!"
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:03 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I'll get a DA one day.

I might have given the DA35 more thought but the release kept getting moved back so i got the EME35. So far i'm happy with my purchase and my wallet is thanking me.

I feel like the folks who buy DA are still going to do so but the guys who are using DLEs or similar now have another option.

More good engines on the market at reasonable prices will only sell more airframes for EF.

If the EME was a direct clone of DA i'd be against that but they're their own engine. While they might look similar there are some key differences that someone on FG pointed out. EME is getting it right so hopefully they hold up. I know i'll be beating the poop out of mine so if i have any issues you guys will hear about it.

But with DA you don't have to wait for people to report back on the engine, you can buy with confidence.

I'm looking forward to your experience this season with that eme 35. I know you'll definitely putt some gallons through it this year. Chad from taildraggerrc invited dwight and I over to bowling green to get pulls on all the eme lineup. He's got a 120 on a few birds I'd like to try! :-)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:05 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,177 Posts
It looks like the EME60 has the power to pull the 91 on a stock muffler, and the guys selling it will certainly be around to help out with warranty issues (taildragger and valleyview), so the price makes it attractive at the time of purchase.

I'm in no rush because I have another two electric projects coming up, so I get to see how they hold up to the test of time. It's no deal if I pay $350 now, have the headaches I had with the early DLE's, then end up having to buy a DA anyway. It's no fun to pull engines off planes that should be in the air to change out bad parts that came with the engine the first time. Valleyview is already offering an optional Bowman ring for the EME.

I would really kick myself if I made a decision that caused me to go through that again. They seem to have sold a lot of these EME engines, so the good news is that we should be hearing the unbiased stories soon.

One thing about the DA-35... my guess is that they waited to get it right, while the other companies jumped on the market in their absence. Won't be the first time I'm wrong about things like this, or the last, but time will tell if the other companies kicked their product out the door and made us beta test it for them, or if they were able to complete their R&D do-diligence faster than DA.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:14 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,165 Posts
I can tell you right now that my 35 doesn't need a Bowman ring. I have no plans to change from the stock ring and many others have said the same thing about the 35,60, and 120. Plenty of compression.

But don't worry guys i fly more than most people so this engine will get the test of flight time.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:29 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I can tell you right now that my 35 doesn't need a Bowman ring. I have no plans to change from the stock ring and many others have said the same thing about the 35,60, and 120. Plenty of compression.

But don't worry guys i fly more than most people so this engine will get the test of flight time.
.... and you fly the pants off it too, so it's a great test. Keep us posted, and keep track of the number of flights, because I will buy one if they will swing that 20A Vess you are buying for it, and it makes you happy for at least 120 flights. I'll spend the money I save on a the Mac header and ES pipe.

What oil are you using and what mixture did you use for the break-in?
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:47 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
.... and you fly the pants off it too, so it's a great test. Keep us posted, and keep track of the number of flights, because I will buy one if they will swing that 20A Vess you are buying for it, and it makes you happy for at least 120 flights. I'll spend the money I save on a the Mac header and ES pipe.

What oil are you using and what mixture did you use for the break-in?
I used Stihl HP at 30:1 for a little more than a gallon then i switched to Redline racing oil at 40:1

I'm up to 20 flights now so i'll keep you posted. It's spinning 7500-7600 RPM with the Xoar 19x8. I'll try the Vess 20A this weekend.

I'll be putting a pipe on my 78 eventually.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:49 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaBears View Post
Lol, I'm sure someone out there is flying hobbyking everything on a 50cc plane. Ooo I'd be terrified... how do you have a conversation with that person at the flying field? "Oh, yeah, hobby king? I've heard great things about.... I can't do this!"
actually...I know a guy at my field that has exactly that, a QQ Yak with all HK gear. turnigy servos. he flies IMAC with it and says it flies great. pretty sure he has had it for a few years even!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:53 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,329 Posts
Quote:
actually...I know a guy at my field that has exactly that, a QQ Yak with all HK gear. turnigy servos. he flies IMAC with it and says it flies great. pretty sure he has had it for a few years even!
Thanks for talking to him, Irg. Glad to hear it's not just MN that people are humble and friendly, spektrum/futaba wars aside.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f