HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:49 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Hate to get political, but the SSI tax *rate* just went from 4.2 to 6.2%. This means that the amount you'll pay on your check will be up 47.6% over last year.

Anyway, not sure how this will pan out for the hobby.

I was reading about the history of model aviation and was surprised by the number of people involved during the great depression.

But, for a lot of people, their take home income just went down $50-$250/month, depending on how much they earn.

I think it is going to have an impact. That could be a new airframe per month for a lot of people.
SSI tax rates just went back to their pre-2011 rates. We've all had a nice 2 year vacation from the normal taxation.
nofreee is online now Find More Posts by nofreee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:51 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee View Post
SSI tax rates just went back to their pre-2011 rates. We've all had a nice 2 year vacation from the normal taxation.
I agree, and also question the wisdom of dropping the rate in the first place. But now that it is back up, at least some people are going to have to re-adjust their spending habbits I'm sure. Bu, like I said previously, maybe not, as model aviation seemed to do well during the great depression. Maybe people need an escape from the daily grind even more during periods of economic hard times.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:52 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,099 Posts
Oh, is that all. Well thats ok then.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:57 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,162 Posts
Thanks Oz, will certainly try this before opening her up
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:06 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Thanks Oz, will certainly try this before opening her up
The main reason I used the Dubro threaded inserts is so that I didn't have to do any cutting. They thread right into the blind nut hole, and the socket head screw threads into them. It takes seconds per hole. Thread them in, one drop of CA, kicker, done.

The second reason was that the front SFG screw was not accessible with the long music wire I used to use to replace loose blind nuts. With this solution, I'll never try to reattach a blind nut again.

They have wood threads on the outside, and machined threads on the inside.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aeroplayin; Feb 11, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:30 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Quick fix.... and they worked great. They were actually recommended by Chris a while back. Just make sure you get them in far enough so they are even with the wing tip edge surface. Not sure of the 70 size but these were for the 78.

http://shop.dubro.com/p/8-32-threade...ts?pp=12&pp=12
and where were you when i screwed up my laser wing.... sigh... he... ( on the second look, im not sure if there would be something for 48" wings...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:34 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
and where were you when i screwed up my laser wing.... sigh... he... ( on the second look, im not sure if there would be something for 48" wings...
Rim~ Was the link you posted the correct size for SFGs? I am bout to order...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:36 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Rim~ Was the link you posted the correct size for SFGs? I am bout to order...
wait, what link? i dont think i posted a link.... (did not intend to)
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:39 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Quick fix.... and they worked great. They were actually recommended by Chris a while back. Just make sure you get them in far enough so they are even with the wing tip edge surface. Not sure of the 70 size but these were for the 78.

http://shop.dubro.com/p/8-32-threade...ts?pp=12&pp=12
.... this was the link I posted, and it was the link that Chris Hinson sent me when I needed some SFG blind nut help with the 78. I'm not sure what the SFG socket head sizes are the different plane, but Dubro should have them once we find out.

Maybe Chris or someone else that knows the sizes can let us know.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:45 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,564 Posts
Only problem with this option is you will have an odd Screw size on one side of plane.. Mine did the same thing , Eventually I will cut into my Fix it then cover up with SFG again. Sounds easy when MLT says it..lol

Im just too lazy and scared, 2 screws are holding up fine..

On a brighter note. I picked up my new 88 edge last week form ExtremeFlight. I have everything ordered but my motor. Im still on the fence on which way to go. EME or DA

Man is the the best looking Plane EVER!!!! And so large. My youngest has been sleeping in the outer Shipping box for 4 days now. Like a big fort to him.. hehe
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:35 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,197 Posts
I just had the blind nut come out of my MXS (My fault) I removed the covering from the wingg tip, cut a square out of the balsa slightly larger than the blind nut, glued the blind nut to the square and glued the square back in place on the wing tip. Hit the end with a small piece of sandpaper to smooth it out and re-covered the wing tip. Took all of 30 minutes -

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:42 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,334 Posts
Great tips. Regarding 30 minutes...that is in MLT time.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:47 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,162 Posts
There are so many ways to skin a cat...
I appreciate all the guidance
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:31 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
Only problem with this option is you will have an odd Screw size on one side of plane.. Mine did the same thing , Eventually I will cut into my Fix it then cover up with SFG again. Sounds easy when MLT says it..lol

Im just too lazy and scared, 2 screws are holding up fine..

On a brighter note. I picked up my new 88 edge last week form ExtremeFlight. I have everything ordered but my motor. Im still on the fence on which way to go. EME or DA

Man is the the best looking Plane EVER!!!! And so large. My youngest has been sleeping in the outer Shipping box for 4 days now. Like a big fort to him.. hehe
If the cost is not the issue, the DA is just a superb engine. They had already ran Frank's engine before they sent it, and we measured 40.37 pounds of thrust with a Laminated Xoar prop. Talk about a stump puller. They really design that mid range power into the engine... pulls like crazy on the upline, and breaks on the downline. I'd consider the EME in about 6 to 8 months after all the war stories are told. Seen it too often with the DL, DLE side carb, Mintor.... Just MO.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:35 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,200 Posts
Also, the twin 70 should be out by May... and it should be very compact, and swing a 25x12S Mejzlik (3-blade). If the 88 and 91 can clear a 25, it may be too sweet to pass up... not sure about performance, but 3 blades on these fine airframes would certainly look great.
RCG Plus Member