HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:42 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Look at how much trim you were carrying! Nowdays we hardly ever touch them!
Thats a picture I found on the internet. I sold mine around 1982 to buy guitar gear.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:58 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,081 Posts
By 1982 we had reversing switches, so I doubt you missed that old radio much!
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:33 PM
Canada, BC, Saanichton
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
Fun... Fun... Fun...

The wayback machine!

The 80's had me traveling around western Canada, standing behind behind a Soundcraft 24-4-2, in front of a fairly large Martin PA with about 8000 watts of H&H power. Sometimes we travelled in a really crappy car... Sometimes we travelled in the back of a cube van with the equipment... Sometimes we travelled by Greyhound.

Life was great. I made twice as much as the musicians - $300 per week.

It's interesting the paths we take
Stiletto135 is offline Find More Posts by Stiletto135
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:38 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto135 View Post
Fun... Fun... Fun...

The wayback machine!

The 80's had me traveling around western Canada, standing behind behind a Soundcraft 24-4-2, in front of a fairly large Martin PA with about 8000 watts of H&H power. Sometimes we travelled in a really crappy car... Sometimes we travelled in the back of a cube van with the equipment... Sometimes we travelled by Greyhound.

Life was great. I made twice as much as the musicians - $300 per week.

It's interesting the paths we take
ok i will bite who were you roading/soundman for?
furballll is online now Find More Posts by furballll
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:10 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
4,850 Posts
Brings back a lot of memories for me
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:35 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankjp View Post
Sansui Amp, 100 watt speakers, Akai Reel to Reel, Dual 1219 with a 2# platter,,,,,Those were the days My Friend
I still have the first demo tape we distributed to the record companies in Manhattan, Frank. If you still have that R2R, we can listen to it and laugh... I remember seeing Lennon and Yoko walking toward FAO Schawrz (Julian's birthday) when I was just about to walk into Arista -- mid 70's. Thought it was a good sign, but all we got was a local radio gig out of it, and an offer to travel on the east coast college tour. I also won an award in the America Song Festival in 1979, but was already out of it by then.

Ten years earlier was my first plane -- Senior Falcon from a Goldberg kit. Doping the silk in the basement on a cold NY winter can get you hooked on the hobby real fast.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:38 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,437 Posts
It took me a min to figure out which long haired guy was Hinson!! lol

Awesome!
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:01 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,317 Posts
I was offered a chance to tour and open for the Felshtones in '87. Remember Peter Zaremba from MTV? Then the bass player fell off the top of their station wagon while trying to car surf and broke his leg! I remember him writhing in pain all night long and crying for "Heyrone".

In hind sight I imagine I got lucky
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:50 AM
Canada, BC, Saanichton
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by furballll View Post
ok i will bite who were you roading/soundman for?
No one important. Just some cover bands from Edmonton. Spent a couple of years with a band called Sniper. It was a fun time
Stiletto135 is offline Find More Posts by Stiletto135
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:42 AM
2.3 D Hack Bradenton FL
Joined Dec 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
I still have the first demo tape we distributed to the record companies in Manhattan, Frank. If you still have that R2R, we can listen to it and laugh... I remember seeing Lennon and Yoko walking toward FAO Schawrz (Julian's birthday) when I was just about to walk into Arista -- mid 70's. Thought it was a good sign, but all we got was a local radio gig out of it, and an offer to travel on the east coast college tour. I also won an award in the America Song Festival in 1979, but was already out of it by then.

Ten years earlier was my first plane -- Senior Falcon from a Goldberg kit. Doping the silk in the basement on a cold NY winter can get you hooked on the hobby real fast.
That would be cool.
I had all this stuff shipped to my home while in Viet Nam. Soon after returning all was stolen but the Dual 1219. Still got it and a bunch of LPs
While in Nam I Built a u control Bipe out of broken antennas for leading edges,copper wire soldered to them for ribs,don't remember what for covering,painted it psychedelic,and name it Jefferson Airplane. It flew 3/4 of a circle and nosed in hard. Didn't know anything about Balance. Still have the Fox 35 with the gouge in the backplate from that crash.

Lots of changes since then

Going out now to dial this motor in a little better.
What a Great Flying Airplane you built here Chris What a TREAT
Frankjp
frankjp is offline Find More Posts by frankjp
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:27 AM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Jan 2009
576 Posts
Frankjp and all the vets out there...thank you guys for your service! Really appreciate what you guys did for us!
daedalusrobert is offline Find More Posts by daedalusrobert
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:29 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I had the old Futaba radio with the closed ball-type gimbals, four trim levers and an on/off switch. Nothing but state of the art, baby! That and a K & B .40 with Perry carb.

I remember when we saw the first transmitters with servo reversing switches behind the battery door. We thought that was the ultimate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
I had an EK Logictrol Champion radio and an O.S. 30 in mine. Just enough power to get airborne!
My first radio was a 3 channel that came with the firebird freedom plane and a disc on how to fly.
My next radio was a dx7 spekles.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:39 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalusrobert View Post
Frankjp and all the vets out there...thank you guys for your service! Really appreciate what you guys did for us!
This is worth repeating. God bless our vets.

Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:17 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
4,850 Posts
Thanks for the kind words and including us Viet Nam Vets. When we came home it was a lot different than today, much appreciated.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:46 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
5,672 Posts
Yeah, Frank... Saturday is going to be "Take a Vet to the Flying Field Day" ...

The FOG's at MCRC fly Extreme! Between you, me and Maynard... any idea how may EF planes we've built, Frank? Do you think it's 20 yet? Maybe if you pull that last box out from under your bed...
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member