HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:53 AM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,334 Posts
I just push the trim up, no mixes needed for that.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:39 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,711 Posts
So for the 2814/820 I should do this trim thing too? Makes since to do it
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:55 PM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
I'm definitely going to be trying this with all my electrics, sounds nifty
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old Apr 29, 2011, 01:34 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Same here - I'm also going to try and figure out how to program spoilerons as well.

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:13 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,044 Posts
I ran five really hard packs through my new Edge 540T EXP today. I am using my older Thunder Power 3s 2700 30 Pro Power packs. I thought saince I have so much more time flying EXPs now that my initial observations about the Edge on 3s would chane.

They have, and they haven't.

First, 3s is very gentle and easy. It makes for an extremely easy and relaxing, fun to fly plane. You do have to be careful not to get really overtly stupid with it because you don't have unlimited bail-out power, but it's still enough that you have enough to get you out of the kinds of mistakes a sane person makes.

With 3s everything seems to slow down a lot. Obviously it's going to be slower on top speed, and acceleration is not blinding, but also the plane becomes floatier and more gentle. It's mucyh, much easier to fly.

Downside is that you really have to manage your energy for snaps and tumbles and such. On 4s it doesn't much mattter becauseif you don't carry speed, power replaces speed. On 3s, you have to first convert the power into speed, but then the tumble dissapates so much energy, and then you don't have the power to pull it through. It's not bad, but it's also not as violent as 4s.

This is going to be a nice go-to plane for the days I want something smooth and easy. If I change my mind after a flight or so, I can change out the prop, jam a big 4s in there and she will turn into a monster.

Something else is that the Edge flew really well with the small SFGs, though KE suffered. Part of this is because we are dealing with less speed and power, but also there is considerable less side lift now. I flew it like that for three flights. The Edge still didn't show any sort of bad habits, and harrier and hower and such didn't suffer at all.

Then, for the final two packs I put the standard SFGs on and the difference in KE was day and night. The edge was good with the little SFGs, but with tyhe big ones it's KE performance was transformed.

KE performance is so increased by using the standard SFGs that I am going to go back to them. The smaller SFGs were fine, but I lik the big performance gains of the larger ones.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:20 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,044 Posts
Oh, sorry, here's the 3s battery placement. Remember that I am running an HS85MG on the elevator.....
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:23 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
wow thats a long ways to the front..I think the motor I put in mine must be a tad heavier than yours.Or i run my planes a bit more AFT CG than you...Windy as hell here today but me and powerlines been flying some.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:38 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
wow thats a long ways to the front..I think the motor I put in mine must be a tad heavier than yours.
Yes. It's not much, but it is heavier. that, and rekember I am using the HS85MG on the elevator.

Quote:
Or I run my planes a bit more AFT CG than you..
I like the nose to drop a little when I roll them over. If they don't, and I am not holding a little down to correct, I can lose orientation. Too many years of sport flying, I suppose.

Quote:
Windy as hell here today but me and powerlines been flying some.
It's been howling all week her, but we got a break for about two hours today and took advantage of it.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:40 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
woot 85 mg in the back for me too but me thinks the motrolfly is heavier if i remember right when i put the plane together.glad you got a break.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:49 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
600 Posts
@Manta, which Motrolfly are you using?
chq28 is offline Find More Posts by chq28
Old Apr 29, 2011, 04:17 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Any videos Doc?

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:21 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Oh, sorry, here's the 3s battery placement. Remember that I am running an HS85MG on the elevator.....
My edge is tail heavy with a 4s 2500 pack in that position. All recommended equipment except 70 amp esc mounted on the motor box and hs85mg in the tail. Loved my first edge exp but with all of the quality issues I ran into during the build of this one plus this cg problem has made me want to pull my electronics and sell the airframe.
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:51 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Doc, those are some great pictures! That profile shot on the tarmac could be screen saver material.

I have my pack in about the same place on my Edge with 94809s in the tail (and a few repairs).
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:02 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
That profile shot on the tarmac could be screen saver material.
It's mine right now! Great Pic Doc!

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Tom K.; Apr 29, 2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:11 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K.;18105951-
It's mine right now! Great Pic Doc!

--Tom K.
Your dad is teetering between this plane and the Extra. Show him that picture and I think the Edge will have him.