HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:50 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,449 Posts
Yeah, we used to go skiing in the Laurentians when I lived in the NE and they had huge trucks with 12 foot stacks to blow snow. No such thing as a plow. 40 below at night... that's where Celsius and Fahrenheit meet to warm each other. Spit froze before it hit the ground. Can't imagine that kind of cold anymore. Tom's never seen snow.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:09 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,319 Posts
Last year at SEFF (2012), I saw a pass that was using some extreme mixing and I was curious if you all could help tell me how to program it.

I am not sure if there is a name for this or not, but the plane flew straight and level down the runway- but did so with nearly a 45 degree nose-down attitude and did not loose any altitude. It was jaw-dropping to watch.

Does anyone even know what I am talking about? Has anyone else seen this before?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:22 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Last year at SEFF (2012), I saw a pass that was using some extreme mixing and I was curious if you all could help tell me how to program it.

I am not sure if there is a name for this or not, but the plane flew straight and level down the runway- but did so with nearly a 45 degree nose-down attitude and did not loose any altitude. It was jaw-dropping to watch.

Does anyone even know what I am talking about? Has anyone else seen this before?
Flaperons, down elevator and power
Practice up high!

Edit to add: Yes I've seen it, but the above is purely a guess.
Maybe we get lucky and one of the ones actually doing it will answer.
I wanted to play around with it one day but saw where I might get into trouble really quickly. (Was trying with about 30 degrees flaperons)
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by C_Watkins; Jan 21, 2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: swag
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:25 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Doc,

Thanks for your answer. I posted a question about the three rates in the 48" Laser thread and Ducati Mechanic also gave a helpful answer.

Perhaps the 48" Laser EXP thread is the place to have this discussion.
I run pretty much the same set up on all my 48s" and I'll probably set the Yak up that way too.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:29 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
For Trill. (and whoever else wants to burn up some data I wuld have gotten more footage,but i was just a couple weeks out of my surgery and was still pretty sore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvapOl_6KMs
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:32 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Three position switch rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I run pretty much the same set up on all my 48s" and I'll probably set the Yak up that way too.
For "insane" 3D on your insane rate, do you find it necessary to have more than thirty five degrees of aileron?

I take it that you have forty five degrees of elevator on mid rates and up to ninety degrees of elevator on insane rates.

Rudder is elevator half to elevator half on all rates.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:42 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Eager to see the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
For Trill. (and whoever else wants to burn up some data I wuld have gotten more footage,but i was just a couple weeks out of my surgery and was still pretty sore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvapOl_6KMs
Thanks for uploading, but it says the video is private and I am unable to watch it.

I am signed into my YouTube account.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:56 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,200 Posts
That was joe smith and as mentioned above it was flaperons mixed elevator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post

U
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:59 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
That was joe smith and as mentioned above it was flaperons mixed elevator.
I have this mix, just haven't used it to that effect. Bet doing it up high for the first time would be smart. I'll try it on the sim first, since I have it programmed there too.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:17 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I have this mix, just haven't used it to that effect. Bet doing it up high for the first time would be smart. I'll try it on the sim first, since I have it programmed there too.
Once you get it dialed in - if you dont mind please share the settings of your mix. It is an impressive maneuver.
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:43 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,747 Posts
Yeah I wanna do that! Any video?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:13 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
622 Posts
I posted this on the 3D forum, but didn't get any answers...anyone know where they can point me:

Is there a list of 3D maneuvers out there? I started writing on the backs of a red bicycle deck all the maneuvers I know, shuffle the cards and then someone at the field reads them out and do the maneuvers. I've got about 26 right now and realize there can be hundreds, but looking for a list so I can cross check against.
TheMagician007 is online now Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:15 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
I would assume a TON of down flaps with a touch (maybe more than a touch) of down elevator and some power. I haven't seen this maneuver, but you did a good job of describing it and it reminded me of what some of the scale planes at my field look like when they're coming in fast with flaps down and a down elevator mix for when the flaps go down so the plane doesn't balloon. So, I think it would be a ton of down flaps and down elevator with some speed.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:22 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Avllino View Post
I posted this on the 3D forum, but didn't get any answers...anyone know where they can point me:

Is there a list of 3D maneuvers out there? I started writing on the backs of a red bicycle deck all the maneuvers I know, shuffle the cards and then someone at the field reads them out and do the maneuvers. I've got about 26 right now and realize there can be hundreds, but looking for a list so I can cross check against.
I don't know if there is a list anywhere, but here are some you can check against your list.

-Hover
-Torque roll
-rolling harrier
-harrier
-inverted harrier
-switch rolling harriers
-snake
-knife edge
-death slide
-elevator
-inverted elevator
-flat spin
-inverted flat spin
-knife edge spin
-Aussie Toilet Bowl (Doc taught me that one)
-Enema, aka Pop Top or Zwimbleturm
-Inverted Pop Top, zwimbleturm, enema
-positive Knife edge spin (with up elevator)
-weeble wobble (i've heard it called a falling leaf as well)
-Lomcevak (sometimes called a crank shaft)
-stationary spin
-pinwheel spin
-rolling loop
-rolling figure eight
-rolling vertical figure eight
-wall
-parachute
-knife edge wall
-the other kind of knife edge wall (they're two completely different maneuvers, but I've heard them both called a knife edge wall)
-cascade
-rolling cuban eight
-knife edge cuban eight
-rolling half and reverse half cuban eight
-knife edge half and reverse half cuban eight
-knife edge loop

Those are the ones I can think off right off the top of my head. Come to think of it, that's a pretty good list of maneuvers now that I read over it... I may do a video or blog article on those... gotta learn a couple first, though

I think there's 35 there.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:28 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Avllino View Post

Don't know, but if you find please do tell!
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC