Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:00 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Yeah, I agree. SEFF and Nall are a must-attend for us all. But it is a bit different for us. I went to the FFAA get-together in November and there were 60 pilots there and maybe 150-plus planes, for a one day event that they scheduled two weeks in advance. All-out 3D and 90% giant scale... well one giant P-47 warbird that flew twice that was fun to watch too.
I could only wish we had a 3d crowd like that! The only local 3d guy I fly with is wamsy so that's fun but there really isn't a 3d crowd.
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:29 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,038 Posts
I wish the Nall was in my radius of travel. It is the Mecca of events.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:40 PM
fly low, fly fast, fly 3d
United Kingdom, England, Luton
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
i wish there was more major uk events
nathan100 is offline Find More Posts by nathan100
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:48 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Using an 85MG with the long Durbo heavy duty arn, and the ball link on the second from the outside hole, you can get between 82-88 degrees. I did have one that I had to turn back because t had 91 degrees!
Doc,

Thanks for your answer. I posted a question about the three rates in the 48" Laser thread and Ducati Mechanic also gave a helpful answer.

Perhaps the 48" Laser EXP thread is the place to have this discussion.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:03 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
I have a question that I have not seen addressed in any of the EF threads. Now that I think of it, I do not know if I have seen any reference to this in any thread I have read:

Would there be any benefit to adding some weight to the counterbalanced portion of the elevator (nearest the horizontal stab's leading edge)?

Would doing so lessen the load on my elevator servo? Or does it have the opposite affect?

The reason I ask is because of the constant buzz from my elevator servo is significantly more audible than the rest of the servos- when I put a little lead on the counterbalanced portion, the buzzing stops entirely.

So what do you all think?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:08 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,282 Posts
Have you heard the trick about putting some fuzzy velcro between the stab and the counterbalance?
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:13 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
I did, velcro quieted down all my other servos, had no affect on elevator.

When I power off, the elevator falls down with gravity (like pushing the stick forward); that is why I thought adding weight to the counterbalance might help.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:28 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
When I power off, the elevator falls down with gravity (like pushing the stick forward); that is why I thought adding weight to the counterbalance might help.
The falling down when the power is off is normal with digital coreless servos. The elevator is a big surface and the servos are very smooth so gravity wins out.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:30 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,864 Posts
Well that explains why my 65mgs remain rigid.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:31 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
The falling down when the power is off is normal with digital coreless servos. The elevator is a big surface and the servos are very smooth so gravity wins out.
I totally understand that- which is exactly the issue which led me to asking the questions to begin with:

Would adding weight on the counterbalance ease the workload of the elevator servo? Or would it be a greater workload on the servo?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:32 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I did, velcro quieted down all my other servos, had no affect on elevator.

I think I'm following you. It sounds like a good idea, especially if you need tail weight anyway. But you should wait for the thoughts of the pros.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Jan 21, 2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: weight wait ugh
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:35 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I think I'm following you. It sounds like a good idea, especially if you need tail weight anyway. But you should weight for the thoughts of the pros.
I appreciate your input; I will definitely be weighting () for the advice from more experienced flyers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:35 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,063 Posts
Digital servos are supposed to fall like that. The buzz is because the digital servo is working to hold center while gravity pulls down on it. Once it's in the air, the pressure on the airfoil will make that go away, just like holding the control surface with your fingers will make it go away.

Most of what you see and hear are really not an issue. Severe jittering is another thing entirely, but the Velcro trick should take care of that. None of this should happen in the air, but what we see on the ground is like a fish out of water. I would never consider adding weight because that can cause issues where there may not be one to begin with.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:36 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
solid answer, thank you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:42 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
And I thought growing up in Chicago was rough. Yikes!!
It was a record breaking year last year for snowfall.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes