HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:53 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
It all depends with who's flying. Some people you just can't fly with. At one event I was at recently I was up flying alone for a couple minutes around dusk, and one kid (great pilot) came up with this 100cc Edge. I figured I could pick a spot on the field and fly there, like on-the-deck low in show center... nope, he found a way to fly that thing full throttle through there. Maybe up high? Nope, his rolling vertical figure eights were up there. Out to the side? Nope, his high speed knife edge circles were over there. So I had to land 3 minutes early just because I literally got scared several times that we were going to collide. I didn't think it was very courteous for him to fly like that when technically I was there first, but it was more exciting to watch him fly than fly myself, so I bit the bullet, landed and watched him finish his AWESOME flight.

But other times there could be 3 other planes in the air, 100cc and up, and I could have no problem. I'd pick the space around show center on the deck, we were all vocal so when somebody wanted to do a low pass or hover over the runway we all knew about it. Another guy picked to stay up high. I played follow the leader with a 104" EF Extra around the "Huckfest" banner out past the runway, and we had a lot of fun.

A tip from experience if you're uneasy about flying at big events when there's 3 other planes in the air: when you get to the event, don't be in a hurry to get unpacked and in the air. Walk around, find some friends, grab some food and a soda and watch people fly. After an hour you'll see who flies a lot and who you don't want to fly with. Then just pick your time wisely and you'll have a helluva time. That's what I do. I'll go find some guys I know, grab a burger and a soda, chill for 45 minutes or so and I'll know "Don't fly with the 40% S-Bach, he's all over. Don't fly with the big Bipe, he does low passes constantly for 15 minutes, and that kid over there is crazy." And then I'll know when not to fly. Most people are really good about flying with tons of planes in the air at events, and everybody should have a caller anyway. Also, once you get in the air, if somebody else is for whatever reason uncomfortable with flying with you, they'll land and get out of your way... which is also a good thing.

Basically what I'm trying to say is 90% of the pilots at events are courteous about sharing the sky, and as long as you're courteous and mellow as well there won't be any issues.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:01 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
manta you going to learn Rolling Harriers this year?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:08 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
It all depends with who's flying. Some people you just can't fly with. At one event I was at recently I was up flying alone for a couple minutes around dusk, and one kid (great pilot) came up with this 100cc Edge. I figured I could pick a spot on the field and fly there, like on-the-deck low in show center... nope, he found a way to fly that thing full throttle through there. Maybe up high? Nope, his rolling vertical figure eights were up there. Out to the side? Nope, his high speed knife edge circles were over there. So I had to land 3 minutes early just because I literally got scared several times that we were going to collide. I didn't think it was very courteous for him to fly like that when technically I was there first, but it was more exciting to watch him fly than fly myself, so I bit the bullet, landed and watched him finish his AWESOME flight.

But other times there could be 3 other planes in the air, 100cc and up, and I could have no problem. I'd pick the space around show center on the deck, we were all vocal so when somebody wanted to do a low pass or hover over the runway we all knew about it. Another guy picked to stay up high. I played follow the leader with a 104" EF Extra around the "Huckfest" banner out past the runway, and we had a lot of fun.

A tip from experience if you're uneasy about flying at big events when there's 3 other planes in the air: when you get to the event, don't be in a hurry to get unpacked and in the air. Walk around, find some friends, grab some food and a soda and watch people fly. After an hour you'll see who flies a lot and who you don't want to fly with. Then just pick your time wisely and you'll have a helluva time. That's what I do. I'll go find some guys I know, grab a burger and a soda, chill for 45 minutes or so and I'll know "Don't fly with the 40% S-Bach, he's all over. Don't fly with the big Bipe, he does low passes constantly for 15 minutes, and that kid over there is crazy." And then I'll know when not to fly. Most people are really good about flying with tons of planes in the air at events, and everybody should have a caller anyway. Also, once you get in the air, if somebody else is for whatever reason uncomfortable with flying with you, they'll land and get out of your way... which is also a good thing.

Basically what I'm trying to say is 90% of the pilots at events are courteous about sharing the sky, and as long as you're courteous and mellow as well there won't be any issues.

--Tom K.
Lol.. so true.. Didn't even know what a spotter was until my first event!

It was funny how I recognized people's planes from the forums but had never seen their faces. I can fly by myself any day of the year... but i can't wait to see the big boys flying the huge gassers inches off the deck!! I had absolutely zero interest in gas until Knoxville last year when I watched all the amazing gas planes. The noise, the $$$, and the risk just took the hobby to the next level! I felt like a little girl with my 60 edge... immediately left with a 70 and a 71 in hand and kept telling myself, I'll have a 50cc plane by next year's events!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:25 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Lol.. so true.. Didn't even know what a spotter was until my first event!

It was funny how I recognized people's planes from the forums but had never seen their faces. I can fly by myself any day of the year... but i can't wait to see the big boys flying the huge gassers inches off the deck!! I had absolutely zero interest in gas until Knoxville last year when I watched all the amazing gas planes. The noise, the $$$, and the risk just took the hobby to the next level! I felt like a little girl with my 60 edge... immediately left with a 70 and a 71 in hand and kept telling myself, I'll have a 50cc plane by next year's events!
Yeah, I felt the same way when I went to a huckfest last year with my 60" Edge. So I got a 78" Extra and went to one in November... and still felt dwarfed. I have an 84" Extra, but that's my IMAC ship so it's not really huckfest material.

I hope to get into a 100cc in the future, but it all depends where the priorities are since I'm graduating next year, still need a car, and the tuition for the college I want to go to (Embry-Riddle) is VERY pricey. Fingers crossed for scholarships! I know AMA has some scholarships and every year some graduates win 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize scholarship money. Just gotta keep my head up!

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:58 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Pheonix flight sim "FunFlyExtremeFlight" no password
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:23 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
manta you going to learn Rolling Harriers this year?
dang man way to call a loser out!!
Probly not lol I'm beginning to think my brain/hand coordination doesnt exist for me in that area lol.. Maybe? I have started torque rolling once or twice every now and again. Flight time has been kinda eluding me lately due to this recovery from surgery and family issues.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:26 PM
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,262 Posts
diggity2424 is offline Find More Posts by diggity2424
Last edited by diggity2424; Jan 22, 2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:38 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
dang man way to call a loser out!!
Probly not lol I'm beginning to think my brain/hand coordination doesnt exist for me in that area lol.. Maybe? I have started torque rolling once or twice every now and again. Flight time has been kinda eluding me lately due to this recovery from surgery and family issues.
you aren't the only one that takes it easy, maybe this year I will learn inverted harriers. Once I learn a new manuever I do it over and over and over again instead of learning more and more.

rollerz, can't get the hang of them.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:40 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Jan 21, 2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: This was an awesome post though others don't like the diarrhea
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:58 PM
Wingman II
Joined Sep 2011
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Wrong. Looks like a 3DHS supplier also selling planes to hobbyking.

Wrong again. But funny you mention stirring up stuff.

Get real dude! There is a reason I try to avoid any thread that your on. When on these threads, this is my time to enjoy myself and my hobby. You somehow squash that for me and I'm sure others too. Just saying! I'm done reading B.S from you. Bye bye EF thread.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:59 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
48" Laser EXP three position switch settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
The mxs has the most pitch authority, the laser fits between the extra and the edge where once you stay in harrier IT STAYS THERE and it draws pretty good lines. The extra draws better lines but the side profile of the laser is something no other plane has.

It does do weird gyroscopic thing though where you can just muscle it through tumbles and into stuff that the other exps can't.
I'm using the Spektrum DX8 transmitter. If I want to set up three rates, low rates, 3D (high rates), and "insane" 3D rates, what are the throws you recommend for the ailerons, elevator, and rudder?
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Last edited by Trill; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:02 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
I'm using the Spektrum DX8 transmitter. If I want to set up three rates, low rates, 3D (high rates), and "insane" 3D rates, what are the settings you recommend for the ailerons, elevator, and rudder?
This is how I set up all my EXPs..............

Ideally you set up the low rates to match the manual. Then set up the mid rate to match the high rate from the manual, but with the elevator turned back to 45 degrees. Set up the super high insane rate to match the high rate in the manual and get all the elevator you can steal.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:14 PM
Wingman II
Joined Sep 2011
1,262 Posts
Someone please remind me to drop by again when I need motor advice.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:14 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
This is how I set up all my EXPs..............

Ideally you set up the low rates to match the manual. Then set up the mid rate to match the high rate from the manual, but with the elevator turned back to 45 degrees. Set up the super high insane rate to match the high rate in the manual and get all the elevator you can steal.
Will the elevator on the 48" Laser EXP give you ninety degrees of throw?
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:20 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Don't do it Dwight, don't take the bait. .. Go to sleep and tomorrow everything will be back to. .... wait, it'll be the same. Nevermind-proceed. .

Ps saw that pic on Facebook
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears