Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:45 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,378 Posts
Gear driven tails are common to the old g30 tail motors that were used on the HBFP, Walkera#4, Hummingbird FP, etc. There's probably a lot of them still around and they are dirt cheap, cost is about $0.20. They just don't last long.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:53 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Well thanks for the clarification but you do know that "self stabilizing" has been used interchangeably with the function that gyros perform on many helicopter specification descriptions, and even on hobby oriented websites that I've visited in the past. So I guess you're right, it is a misused term. A WIDELY misused term.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
That isn't what self-stabilizing means at all. All single rotor helis have a gyro to hold the tail and 95% of them are not self-stabilizing. But, your confusion is justified, because it's a misused term. In simple terms, it means the heli will attempt to cancel movement, much like a coax does. It has also been used to describe helis that attempt to remain upright (due to long center of gravity), also much like a coax. There are several helis that do both. There are lots of people who won't buy a self-stabilizing heli because they assume that if it has a 45 offset flybar or head, that it will try to remain upright, which is a physical impossibility.
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:03 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
A geared tail doesn't seem to me like a very efficient method, and also noisy. But we'll see when it gets there. Still think it's a little premature to call this a FAKE 4 channel. I think it was just listed wrong on that webpage. Happens more often, some advertise the Revell Proto Max as Bell Hiller and Heading Hold gyro, while it's head design is Bell, and it has a rate gyro. Can't blame the company that makes this heli for that, and this seems like a similar case...
From the spec description below, the directions/channels it has makes sense for a 3-channel heli. Up/down, fwd/rev, right/lef yaw. There is no left/right motion listed, which is what a real 4 channel would have. I have to believe this is really a single prop that has integrated controls to make it a single prop 3-channel heli.

-New digital full 3 Channel control remotely
-Full function: up/down, forward/backward, turning left and right, fixed-point hovering
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:05 PM
Joined Oct 2010
23 Posts
Someone should buy one and write a review!
chanerz is offline Find More Posts by chanerz
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:11 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
From the spec description below, the directions/channels it has makes sense for a 3-channel heli. Up/down, fwd/rev, right/lef yaw. There is no left/right motion listed, which is what a real 4 channel would have. I have to believe this is really a single prop 3-channel that has integrated controls to make it a single prop 3-channel heli.

-Full function: up/down, forward/backward, turning left and right, fixed-point hovering
I don't doubt that it is written 3 channel remote etc, but I am still considering the option the description is faulty. Websites are sometimes very badly checked, keeping older pics for a thing on sale, where appearance has already altered in a next revision for instance. Or like the examples I mentioned, with the "heading hold gyro" where it really is a rate gyro, and remember the "full 3d flight" that is used so often for 3 channel coaxes? Well, let's try a looping with it...

Why make the head appear like it is controlled by 2 servos, so it should have aileron as well, and not include the function on the controller? That would be complete madness... Like making a CP head and then only connecting one single elevator servo, locking the rest.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:14 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Earlier in the thread, we speculated that 3 channels can in fact work in a single rotor configuration. Well it looks like it's not speculation any longer.

The two main differences from a 3 channel coax being that yaw is achieved by varying the tail rotor speed like in a real helicopter, and "advanced" RC models, forward or backward pitch via a single servo connected to the rear of the swash plate, and throttle is exactly the same like in all other models.

I have always questioned why someone hadn't come up with something like this, and now we have it. Should be a very easy transition for people who are used to flying S107s, 6010s, San Huans, 9808s, or any of the larger 3 channels. And it looks great!

Ed

Quote:
From the spec description below, the directions/channels it has makes sense for a 3-channel heli. Up/down, fwd/rev, right/lef yaw. There is no left/right motion listed, which is what a real 4 channel would have. I have to believe this is really a single prop 3-channel that has integrated controls to make it a single prop 3-channel heli.

Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:18 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanerz View Post
Someone should buy one and write a review!
I believe the OP is trying to get his hands on a 9100 from one of his sources as we speak.

Ed
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:19 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
Earlier in the thread, we speculated that 3 channels can in fact work in a single rotor configuration. Well it looks like it's not speculation any longer.

The two main differences from a 3 channel coax being that yaw is achieved by varying the tail rotor speed like in a real helicopter, and "advanced" RC models, forward or backward pitch via a single servo connected to the rear of the swash plate, and throttle is exactly the same like in all other models.

I have always questioned why someone hadn't come up with something like this, and now we have it. Should be a very easy transition for people who are used to flying S107s, 6010s, San Huans, 9808s, or any of the larger 3 channels. And it looks great!

Ed
Yeah, someone here has to have already pulled the trigger on this thing. It does look good, and I would suspect it will have much better fwd/rev flight speed than a coaxial 3-channel due to the main prop plane being able to tilt enough for some good "bite".
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:31 PM
Z24
Tamiya For A Me A
Canada, ON, Strathroy
Joined Feb 2010
286 Posts
At the X now, the 9100 and 9101 are out of stock.
Z24 is offline Find More Posts by Z24
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:34 PM
Centreville, Va
Joined Nov 2010
88 Posts
They lasted less than 12 hours, They must not have had very many. (if any)

Edit: did anyone here order one and get a confirmation
lerninmore is offline Find More Posts by lerninmore
Last edited by lerninmore; Dec 21, 2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Question
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:57 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2006
453 Posts
OK, so if the gyro is good enough to keep this single-rotor heli stable then why do all these other 3-channel gyro-equipped helis have two rotors?
overedline is offline Find More Posts by overedline
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:06 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overedline View Post
OK, so if the gyro is good enough to keep this single-rotor heli stable then why do all these other 3-channel gyro-equipped helis have two rotors?
To keep it from yawing since the tail rotor is JUST for tilting the tail boom up or down to make the heli fly forwards or backwards.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:27 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2006
453 Posts
Quote:
To keep it from yawing since the tail rotor is JUST for tilting the tail boom up or down to make the heli fly forwards or backwards.
Yes, but that is only partly right. In the gyro-quipped 3-channels the gyro is what mainly keeps it from yawing (although the coax does cancel yaw by design) but the the dual rotors mainly keep it upright/stable. This is why I've been saying that if this is indeed only a 3-channel heli then it would have to be a very unstable one (no aileron control to keep it upright). It would start to drift left or right and quickly crash.

My point in a nutshell:
If this is a 3-channel heli then what is preventing it from rolling left or right and crashing. Only aileron control OR an additional main rotor can do that.

This is actually one reason why the old piccoz heli was such a big breakthrough. The designer (who is/was a member here) spent years trying to develop a stable single-rotor design for a 2-channel heli. If you look at a havoc heli's main blades they have a very unique shape to them.
overedline is offline Find More Posts by overedline
Last edited by overedline; Dec 21, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:32 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overedline View Post
The two rotors are for stability. The upper rotor defeats movement signals sent to the lower rotor. The extremely long, vertical center of gravity, coupled with a low mounted battery, acts like a pendulum to prevent the heli from rolling. If it can't roll and has very limited movement, it will be real stable. A single rotor will never be as stable, but they can come damn close. The gyro on a single rotor heli does nothing but control yaw.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Dec 21, 2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:39 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
There IS one servo in the back, it raises/lowers the back of the swash only, giving it fore/aft.

If you look close at all the pics, you see a dummy ball-link on each side of the front of the swash.
How can you tell they are dummy ball links from looking at this photo?