I probably will!! Thanks
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 01:08 PM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
I have flown the Cox Sky Ranger and Extra 300. I like both, but I prefer the Sky Ranger. You can fly it in a Middle School gymnasium. It is also fun to fly with a couple other buddies in the air. You can fly it around yourself in tight circle. Can try dragging the wingtip on the ground. I have beat the sh#$ out of both planes. The prop collets bend back into shape after about 30 crashes already. The motor shafts do bend, but you can bend them back relatively straight. After bending one back about 30 times, I did have a motor shaft break. Not hard to fix though. The Cox batteries are weak. The white balance wire will break off after a couple dozen charges, which makes it useless. I was thinking of ordering some different brand batteries. Maybe Nine Eagles.

Just to clairfy: I fly this thing like an idiot trying to hit my buddies and any other thing on purpose.
jhall2242 is offline Find More Posts by jhall2242
Last edited by jhall2242; Jan 31, 2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:51 AM
Seattle, Wa
Joined Jul 2007
25 Posts
Flight 2

Due to a very rainy Seattle and other commitments, I just got to flight 2 a few days ago. With 2 dimes (=5gm) on the nose, it flew a lot better. It was fairly windy (~8mph; pilots of larger models were struggling with the wind), but the plane handled the conditions quite well. No crashes; landing okay but not perfect due to grass I had to land it in; only elevator landing would have resulted in anything other than "grab and flip" behavior. It flew a lot faster this time, so I think I'll try to take a bit of weight off of the nose and see how it does. More reports when I do.
banjeff is offline Find More Posts by banjeff
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:35 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Nov 2002
464 Posts
After trying out the sky ranger, it was kind of fast, so I added around 25% more wing area (foam flaps) taped to the trailing edge with bamboo as stiffeners. Also bamboo added to the leading edge. That prop setup didn't last long as the props fly off in mid flight. Switched to a gws 4025 prop. The motor shaft is pretty short and needed to cut back the front cowling a little for prop clearance.

<The white balance wire will break off after a couple dozen charges, which makes it useless>

After mine broke off, I just alligator clip it to the battery board during charging. Works fine.

Is this plane capable of looping? Me and my 9 yr old son are learning to fly rc on this thing and we haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe a dozen flights so far. My son Would switching batts really make much of a difference?

Also, anyone know what the stock range of the radio is?

Thanks,

Bill
FFFlier is offline Find More Posts by FFFlier
Old Feb 05, 2011, 09:52 AM
United States, NC, Newland
Joined Nov 2005
90 Posts
Thanks for all the info on this little Extra guys, I got one yest. and also found a batt. that hopefully will do OK its a 300 mah PZ also from Hobbytown, might be a tight fit though. If this thing flies as well as my erc spitfire I'll be a happy camper!
1funwingflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1funwingflyer
Old Feb 20, 2011, 03:46 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2007
170 Posts
Cg

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjeff View Post
Due to a very rainy Seattle and other commitments, I just got to flight 2 a few days ago. With 2 dimes (=5gm) on the nose, it flew a lot better. ......It flew a lot faster this time, so I think I'll try to take a bit of weight off of the nose and see how it does. More reports when I do.
Both my CG calculators recommend it to be 42mm from the leading edge while the actual is 53mm.

The plane does loops when adding power even with low power and a lot of down elevator. Obviously tail heavy indicating a need for nose weight. A 7 gram nose weight seems to correct the CG to 42mm.

Will report the results when the weather clears.
bob2fly is offline Find More Posts by bob2fly
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:04 PM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Partille
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Better manual

EDIT:Ooops! slight misstake...

Since the Nine Eagles Xtra 300 got rebranded in US, there is now a better and more complete manual!
Free at http://manuals.hobbico.com/cox/coxa6502-manual.pdf

Regards/ Tommy
jimjim06 is offline Find More Posts by jimjim06
Last edited by jimjim06; Feb 23, 2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Sorry I posted in wrong thread, this was aimed at the NE Xtra 300 one.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:46 PM
United States, WI, Janesville
Joined Apr 2011
305 Posts
So has any one flown this yet. My local guy sold it to me for 80$ cuz he found out I got the Champ from some one else for 89.........It's a Hobbico product
weedan is online now Find More Posts by weedan
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:55 PM
Bucknell
Joined Nov 2010
14 Posts
I just got back from flying mine, and I'm going to have to strongly recommend not getting one. I was looking for a small, mildly aerobatic plane to mess with when not doing more serious flights with my UAV. I'm going to replace this plane with a Champ tonight.

The propsavers on this plane are useless. You can bend them back into shape, but it takes some effort and only works so many times. If you don't bend it right, the prop will fly right off. I ordered two extra prop/saver sets, and have already gone through them all. Some break, some are crooked, and some don't even have the proper size hole to fit on the motor shaft. The propellers are similarly lackluster, and are mostly crooked and uneven.

My Extra 300 also died in the air today, which I soon found was the result of a broken solder joint to the motor. I also had trouble with pitch control, which led me to discover a failed elevator hinge. I unfortunately paid more than I should have for this model between extra batteries and spare propellers, but I suppose I'll just bite the bullet and call it an expensive lesson learned. This plane is simply terrible quality wise. The airframe itself is mostly strong (there is a weak spot right above the leading edge of the wing on the fuselage), but the components are simply terrible. I take good care of my models, and have never encountered this many problems at once. If you're looking for a nice portable sport plane, take your money elsewhere.
spike109u is offline Find More Posts by spike109u
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:25 PM
Joined Apr 2005
27 Posts
So far, having good luck with mine. Good flight times, an no issues with the prop coming off. Needs more rudder throw out of the box but other than that, it flies great (even in a small breeze). Would like to be able to bind it to a REAL transmitter though for some fine tuning though.
aceisback is offline Find More Posts by aceisback
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:39 PM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
832 Posts
Hi I need have a battery hatch for the cox extra 300, I believe it is the same as the nine eagles/hobbyking plane, does anyone have one laying around thanks Geoff
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:47 PM
Greetings from Santiago, Chile
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
Extra 300

Hello everyone,

My name is Giordano, I'm writting from Chile and I need yor help or opinion about the next problem.

Few days ago, I bought the Extra 300 from Cox Models. In the first flight, the plane suffered a big damage in the prop saver clip (or the base of the propeller attached in the pinion gear of the motor (engine)). I have the replacement (included in the box), but it's impossible to detach it from the motor. Have you any advice, instruction or idea about how to fix this problem?

Thank you very mucho for your help
GiordanoChief is offline Find More Posts by GiordanoChief
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:13 PM
United States, IN, Salem
Joined Jan 2013
41 Posts
I got mine in a "bulk" deal. It didn't have a prop, so I used an old Peck Polymer 6" prop for rubber powered planes, they have a lot of flex, and I believe it will solve the problem of props flying off. I may install regular servos in it also. I also solved the c/g problem with larger wheels, and collets. Am making a battery cover also, and to solve extra space in battery compartment, I stuffed some cotton in there.
roger staton is offline Find More Posts by roger staton
Last edited by roger staton; Feb 27, 2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: More info.
Old Apr 09, 2013, 11:16 AM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Apr 2013
2 Posts
Does anyone know what is wrong with mine the battery shows a charge but the plane does not come on I checked all the plugs for volts
Knifeedgelaborde is offline Find More Posts by Knifeedgelaborde
Old Jul 04, 2013, 04:55 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
1,687 Posts
I've owned the sky ranger for 9 months and the extra 300 for less than a week. I've done A LOT of repairs and a little tweaking to the sky ranger (mainly several motor changes).

In my nearly newbie hands the sky ranger is underpowered and too light to handle much wind. I REALLY wish they'd put the same N60 in it as the extra. Incidentally, I measured the N50 in the sky ranger at 1mm and the N60 from the extra is noticeably larger (probably 1.5mm). I was afraid the extra I took home would be a dud but it does loops from medium speeds just fine.... I swear on a full charge it almost feels like it would hover lol.

I've killed a prop or two, bent sky ranger motor shafts til they broke, but never killed the prop adapters. I think I got a few bad N50 motors from my LHS. My extra's N60 is rather quiet.

The servos in my extra are quite effective so far (though the aileron stuff is super noisy when moved under control).

My extra is also VERY tail heavy. I REALLY don't want to spoil the plane with more weight, but unless I can cook up something fancy like more room forward for the battery or relocate the wing backward I might have to add... for some reason that really irritates me.

I think the cox extra 300 is a far better deal than the sky ranger because of the power, weight, and ailerons/maneuverability (it's also prettier lol). They should put the same N60 in both and sell the sky ranger for the current $100 and sell the extra for $115 to be fair.

edit: I @*#%O&$#@( cracked the fuselage on both sides where the front of the wing meets it. I guess I should look at the bright side and see this as an opportunity to mod it to make the CG more appropriate without adding weight. I think I'll mod the rear of the wing where it meets the fuselage and the matching part of the fuselage so they both get as little chopped off as possible. I'd imagine CF rods on both sides to reinforce where it cracked is probably a good idea. I'm also tossing around the idea of making the battery opening larger so I can put the battery all the way forward if necessary.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Last edited by failboat; Jul 04, 2013 at 05:53 PM.