Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Mini-HowTo
STARTED - Rhino Online Workshop For Beginners

Hello Guys!

The motivation:
Reading many of the Rhino related threads here in the rather new born CADCAM channel on RCG, I often felt way confident with the problems discussed there. My feeling is, that there has not much changed regarding the difficulties and issues coming up with digging into Rhinoceros CAD since that time I started with. But answering that many different questions is a huge effort, remembering that those problems would only be snap shots taken out of different creation processes without a "before" or an "after" situation . Such an answer could only fully satisfy the "owner" of that specific problem, but would not really help another beginner having a similar problem, but beseen from a different view or in another situation. What I'm trying to explain here is, that we need bridges to bind a problem into a certain creative workflow to make it possible for beginners to estimate the usability of a method for their problem. With this motivation I
loudly thought ( remember the other thread) about taking the effort on setting up another Rhino beginners workshop.

The targets would be to give a newbie a strategy on hand which would be easy to apply due to its relation to the "normal modeling process" or just like physically building a plane. To give the participants a guideline to follow, just to get over the starting issues into the learning curve... and perhaps further ... but thats a thing only time can show!

Support

Being in a little bit unsure situation regarding the possibilities to spend the time for such a rather long term project vs the need of my job, I got encouraged by the support of some of our colleagues willing to help and to support you within this project.

Just wanted to say that I absolutely appreciate your offer and kind help for now and in future and I just want to let some credits here:

Thanks ClausXPF ; thanks Konstantin S. ; thanks Dlinegar for your offer to support this project

Subscriptions

This will be a list of the participants where I also will control the state of progress:

Project History

Kick Off 1/3/2011

Unit 1: to be Started 1/3/2011 Dead line 1/17/2011

Unit 2: to be Started 1/17/2011 Dead line 1/31/2011

Unit 3: to be Started 1/31/2011 Dead line 2/14/2011

Unit 4: to be Started 2/14/2011 Dead line 3/11/2011

Unit 5: to be Started 3/14/2011 Dead line 3/24/2011

Subscriptions

2. Thermaled /Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized/Unit 3 finalized/ Unit 4 finalized / Unit 5 finalized / Unit 6 shared / Unit7 shared /

3.Thomas.S /Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 shared /Unit 3 finalizedUnit 4 finalized/Unit 5 finalized/ Unit 6 finalized/ Unit7 shared /

4.tommyt /Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized Unit 3 finalized/ Unit 4 finalized/ /Unit 5 shared / Unit 6 shared /Unit7 shared /

5.jsfrench /Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized/Unit 3 finalized/Unit 4 finalized/Unit 5 finalized/ Unit 6 finalized/ Unit7 shared /

6.roger2525 /Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized/ Unit 3 finalized/ Unit 4 finalized/Unit 5 finalized/ Unit 6 shared /Unit7 shared /

7.Mike Hall / Contact received / Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 shared /Unit 3 shared /Unit 4 shared /OFF

8.Rotobob / Contact received/ Unit 1 shared/Unit 2 shared /Unit 3 shared / OFF

9.FlyDave / Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized /Unit 2 finalized/Unit 3 finalized/Unit 4 finalized/ Unit 5 finalized/ Unit 6 shared /Unit7 shared /

10.FlyB / Contact received / Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized/Unit3 finalized/ Unit 4 finalized/ Unit 5 shared / Unit 6 shared / Unit7 shared /

11. Ediaz / Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized /Unit 3 finalized

Unit 4 finalized/ Unit 5 finalized// Unit 6 shared /Unit7 shared /

12. jweber009 / Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized Unit 3 finalized/Unit 4 finalized/Unit 5 finalized/Unit 6 finalized/

13.Vendorf70 / Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized /Unit 3 finalized/Unit 4 finalized/disengaged on own decision

14.Fubar 123 / Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized /Unit 2 finalized /Unit 3 finalized/Unit 4 finalized/Unit 5 finalized/ Unit 6 finalized/Unit7 shared /

15.Neil Stainton / Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized / Unit 2 finalized/Unit 3 shared /Unit 4 shared /Unit 5 shared / OFF
16. anton-anton / Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 shared /Unit 3 shared /Unit 4 shared /OFF
17.n1k0l4s/ Contact received/ FInalized
18.Aname / Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized/Unit 3 finalized/Unit 4 finalized/Unit 5 finalized/Unit 6 finalized / Unit7 shared /

19.MitchK / Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized/Unit 3 finalized/Unit 4 finalized/Unit 5 finalized/ Unit 6 finalized/ Unit7 shared /

20.Johannlochner/ Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized/Unit 3 finalized/Unit 4 finalized/Unit 5 shared/ Unit 6 shared / Unit7 shared /

21.Marco Vergara/ Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized /Unit 3 finalized/Unit 4 finalized
Unit 5 finalized/ Unit 6 shared /Unit7 shared /

22.Alexhaben/ Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized /Unit 2 finalizedUnit 3 finalized/Unit 4 finalized

Unit 5 shared/ Unit 6 shared /Unit7 shared /

23.Mistairjoe / Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 shared /Unit 3 shared /Unit 4 shared /OFF

24.DLineagar / Contact received/ Unit 1 shared /Unit 2 shared /Unit 3 shared / OFF

25.ClausXPF / Contact received/ FInalized

26.Ribotero / Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized / Unit 2 finalized/Unit 3 finalizedUnit 4 finalized/Unit 5 finalized/ Unit 6 finalized/ Unit 7 finalized

/Unit 5

27.Jodey / Contact received/ Unit 1 finalized/Unit 2 finalized/Unit 3 finalized/Unit 4 finalized/Unit 5shared/ Unit 6 shared / Unit7 shared /

Subscription Period Finalized
Last edited by Harpye; May 16, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:39 PM
Joined Apr 2005
64 Posts
Howdy,

I'd like to "help" out as well.. What i can offer is the Internet/Web based conferencing (voice, video & screen sharing) solution called Webex. We can even "record" the sessions to allow for those who can't make it, to play it back at their convenience.

Oh, and for me, I'm "stuck" with the beta-version of Rhino on Mac... No PC's here, BTW...

Cheers,

--d
dlinegar is offline Find More Posts by dlinegar
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:50 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Rules of Engagement

Rules of Engagement ( RoE)
To give this activity a certain frame to take place in and with the experience, that it is always good to have a basement I would like to establish some rules of engagement before the kick off of the project . One reason is, that I have to ease my efforts on managing progress and state of work of each of the participants and so being able to adapt my speed on the progress and the abilities of the group. Another one is to get you all through this workshop as a group and not to support everyone in individual way and at individual state of progress.
Subscription And Unsubscription :
When the workshop will be initiated, there will be a certain subscription period of about 10 days. During this period every person interested in the project may subscribe and join the workshop. Necessary for the subscription is a functional account on the RCGroups forum and a working email address. Plus a functional release of Rhinceros 4.0 ( Commercial ; Student or Trial).Subscription after the end of this period is not possible. Unsubscribing from the workshop due to other priorities would be possible, but would be a one way ticket due to the continuing progress of the group.
Minimum / Maximum Number of participants:
To make the effort, to be invested into this workshop pay, the initial amount of participants should be more than 15 students. Not to exceed our possibilities of support the group would have to be limited to a maximum of 30 participants .
Effort,Time and Timeout:
The workshop will take place in the way of a guided project. This means, we will support you with prepared units, including a content volume of 1 to 2 hours of work per week. We will share the documents together with the unit specific solution in the form of a Rhino file. - So anyone using the Trial version is not in need to save his results unless he always finishes a whole unit. Another advantage would be that all students would start with the same base model so support would be much easier.
About the timeout I have to say, that we will have to avoid a spread in progress all over the group. As mentioned before it is impossible to support every student individually on his current state of work.
This means: - Each unit shared, has to be finalized by the participant in a given time and afterwards reported as finalized ( the units time frame will be adapted to the amount of work , shared). Each student falling back behind the group due to not finalizing the given lections in more than 3 units will be taken off the group.
During the time of the project documents and data will just be shared between the participants. ( We would not be able to support an second external group working separately on the same stuff)

So this would be the RoE: If you would be ok with this rules, feel free to join the class!

Hansjoerg
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Last edited by Harpye; Dec 21, 2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:58 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Also howdy! -- Great to have so much help in here!

I already heared about the webex thingy, but unfortunatly in my case it is a bit difficult to use . Claus made a suggestion using another program with which I have the same problem - I have customer related data on my PC and would like to reduce the use of foreign web based software to absolute minimum.

So project would have to work via the forum.

About the Mac : Since I guess the 3DM files on Mac and Windows are rather same, It should not be a problem !

Thank you again!!!

Hansjoerg
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:07 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Subscription Period

So subscription period has begun

Subscription period starts by the 12/20/2010 now
and ends by 12/31/2010 23:59

Name

Nickname

Working EMail adress ( For the share of the lections)

Country

p.S.: a proposal of the target is shown below...
Last edited by Harpye; Dec 20, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:17 PM
Joined Apr 2005
64 Posts
From a Webex standpoint, you control what get's shared, a application, a document (if it's in a generic format, like word, ppt etc), so in order to preserve your customer Intellectual Property, I suggest you fire up the Webex, and only share Rhino, using a blank design. Only that gets shared.

I'd be happy to demonstrate if there's any interest. When we did this with TCAD/ACAD classes a while ago, it was very well received...

Cheers,

--d
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:07 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
hmmm - Perhaps you could help me with some doubts

I'm working on HD resolution and just taking an MP 4 vid by screen capture
( about 1 hour ) was about 190 Gbyte... this would kill all my connectivity.. even when we work with a reduced resolution...on a good day I just have about a short 1 MBit rate ( I live in a very little village and they were not able to get the "thick cables " up to my house ) on a bad day its lower , so having 500 to 600 KBit traffic rate, I have no idea how to drive a video connection through this ...

Another thing would be that this workshop should be documented and available for other beginners after the course ... For this I decided to create a written tutorial which will be published after the workshop! Already Mc Neel had some suggestions about this issue and offered some ways for sharing the information, but all systems collapse when it comes to necessary connectivity!!

issues on second level would be interaction due to time shift and the related support onthe forum . (Who is going to host the WEBEX server and who grants the availablility of the data for future nneds ?)

Questions I didn't have the last time when I did such a WOrkshop in 2004- that time it was not the maximum of comfort, but steady and transparent all the time!

But I'm interested in a demonstration on the possibilities if you would not mind... ( woud you be available on skype to talk about this- > Please pn your account name)

Hansjoerg
Last edited by Harpye; Dec 21, 2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:34 AM
Joined Apr 2005
64 Posts
Hey Harpye,

Good questions. Let me see if I can answer that:

1) Webex doesn't do video-screen capture of one's screen and replicates to everyone else, it be hard to do "selective" screen capture, and as you surmised, the B/W would be intense. Webex tries to be smart and optimize the amount of information so that screen updates are only for what changes (unlike video captures) and so can run in low B/W connections (< 256 Kbps) although with some delay.

2) What we did with our other class is to find a document storage area for CAD files we shared (like a FTP or Free Sharing Web site, Google, Yahoo, Mac etc...) The recordings are large (depending on the length of the session, 1 hr is about 600 Mbytes) but that kept on the Webex site that you can replay/download at any time.

3) Webex is 24 hrs, I can host it.. We found with the other TCAD/ACAD class that early AM in East-Coast USA, Earlier AM for West Coast USA, PM for Central Europe, and Late PM for Australia works best. Some people can not make it for a variety of reasons, but then, that's what the recordings are for. if you miss a class, no big deal, you can catch up.

I've set up a test-Webex, details in your PM, so I can walk the stuff with you for tomorrow. If anyone else is interested, send me a PM.

Cheers,

--d
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:50 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
You already gotta PM!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 03:37 AM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinegar View Post
3) Webex is 24 hrs, I can host it.. We found with the other TCAD/ACAD class that early AM in East-Coast USA, Earlier AM for West Coast USA, PM for Central Europe, and Late PM for Australia works best. Some people can not make it for a variety of reasons, but then, that's what the recordings are for. if you miss a class, no big deal, you can catch up.
Ehy dlinegar, just for my curiosity.. the TCAD class you mention is the one made by Gary Hethcoat from rcscalebuilder ? i've followed the same class.

David
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave
Old Dec 24, 2010, 08:06 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Wishing you Harpeye and all of the group a Merry Christmas.
Looking forward to the course.
Chris
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old Dec 24, 2010, 08:29 AM
Joined Apr 2005
64 Posts
Yes it is:

http://www.wingsontheweb.com/wow_cad_class.php

Cheers,
--d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDave View Post
Ehy dlinegar, just for my curiosity.. the TCAD class you mention is the one made by Gary Hethcoat from rcscalebuilder ? i've followed the same class.

David
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:11 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
I also wish you all a merry Christmas and hope to get that stuff ready for the kick off in the new year!!!

Hansjoerg
Old Dec 24, 2010, 03:37 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Here is something I did from a rendering of the CAD model

Merry Christmas to all of you!!

Hansjoerg
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:13 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
The first step!

Hello guys!

It took me several hard days around Christmas to write this script for the CAD workshop. In preparance for the kick off of the workshop in early January I'd like to share the very early revision of this skript to gather some feedback from you guys!

the workshop is not yet started, but some comments would really be appreciated ( also regarding my low level English - If there would be something not understandable or would have to be corrected - please tell me!! )

http://www.magix-website.com/mppo06/...5357B4D596.pdf

Hansjoerg