HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:57 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Discussion
Foam and Balsa Profile Spitfire

I had a partially built F/G fuse/balsa over foam wing Spit in my rafters for a long time. Unfortunately the heat got to the fuse and it's ratched.

I've used the 2" construction foam to cobble up the fuselage, fitting the already built wing. The horizontal stab is a re-shaped piece from one of my wrecks and the vertical is a lamination of two pieces of dollar store foam with a 1/64 ply sandwich. Winspan is 70".

Motor is an EFlite 46, 5 cell 5000 mAH LiPO. It has a hook for bungee launching for the first couple of flights, then probably hand launching.

I'll be covering it with newpaper/WBPU and Latex camo paint.

Still some work hiding the wires, etc, and shaping around the cockpit.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:44 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
SJ, looking Good Dude !!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:13 PM
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
I am pleased to see somebody else is building a profile spitfire. I am busy building a 44" profile with a fully symetrical foam core wing. I plan to cover the wing and fuse with brown paper similar to you using newspaper. Not much progress to date due to all the other things happening at this time of year.

Are planning to have a removeable wing on your spitfire. It looked like it may be removeable based on your first picture. If it is removable I would be interested to know how you plan to attach the wing.

Please keep us updated on progress.
bluecrane is offline Find More Posts by bluecrane
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:40 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Bluecrane: Here are pics of the wing attachments. It should be apparent, but the ply is good grade 1/4" for the piece the dowel is epoxied into and same for the aft piece that's threaded to take the nylon bolt.

Tex.
Last edited by Sabrejock; Dec 26, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:24 PM
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
Thanks SJ. I will probably do something similar. It is a good idea to cut a notch into the front of wing, I didn't think of that. Are there any issues with the fuse rocking on the wing since it is a profile. I am thinking of making my fuse 3/4" thick.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:29 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrane View Post
Are there any issues with the fuse rocking on the wing since it is a profile. I am thinking of making my fuse 3/4" thick.
No problems, but mine has a wood surfaced wing and the fuse is 2" wide. I think that if your piece of wood for the bolt to thread into is well glued into the fuse it should be stable. If your wing is foam, you might want to laminate a small piece of thin ply at the mating surface. Tex.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:56 PM
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
I am thinking of possibly making the fuse a bit thicker (30mm) so that I can bury the battery and ESC like you are doing. Are planning to hide the ESC and battery with some sort of covers maybe balsa.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:10 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
I'll probably make one side solid with a thin ply and the other side removable held with magnets. But I'm not too concerned with bits of wire etc., sticking out. I've found that in the air nobody notices these small discrepancies. Tex.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:55 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Wing glassing in progress. Bottom of the wing took less than 10 minutes with the 3/4 oz glass cloth and WBPU. When it dries I trim the edges with a razor blade and sand any fuzz. Tex.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:36 AM
INDEPENDENTLY POOR in OHIO
Joined Dec 2001
1,028 Posts
Hi, I have two Spits flying on KF airfoils
One is a single thickness profile of 1.5" blue foam from Lowes that lasted two seasons of hard flying (no FG ) and the other is a double thickness that has been hand sanded to a more streamlined shape

54" wingspan, both great flyers---- Hope I can find pic's

Roger aka GIFLYRC
GIFLYRC is offline Find More Posts by GIFLYRC
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:01 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Roger: It's nice to see more succesful large profiles. The KF is next for me in this sort of thing. My wood wing is 'cuz I had it. Tex.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Dec 2001
1,028 Posts
Tex,
The KF wing is a Q&D way to get in the air---the step actually belongs on the bottom of the wing and not on top like I done mine, My planes do fly better inverted though!

May do a ME 109 next.

I know that most people would find it hard to believe, but I always seem to be re-inventing the wheel and experimented with the KF airfoil before I knew anything about it. (I swear,I never heard anything about it!) and thought I was blazeing a new trail!

Several years ago I was showing "my experimental wing" to the local airport owner where my club flies and he remarked "Oh sure, that is a Kline- Folgelman airfoil and has been around for years" (Dash it all)

Mabe I will re-invent fire next!

Roger aka GIFLYRC
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
Foam and Balsa Profile Spitfire.

Roger seeing your great spitfires encouraged me to do some work on mine. I have attached a picture for you guys to see it. It isn't exactly scale, messed around with the dimensions to hopefully make it fly better so I think it should be classified as a sport scale model. Both the wing and fuse are made from expanded polystyrene. The wing is hot wire cut with balsa ailerons. The body was cut from 2" thick sheet and then carved and sanded to shape by hand.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:23 PM
Joined Dec 2001
1,028 Posts
Bluecrane

Lookin good, post finished product, OK?
I hand launch mine gripping the fuse ahead of the wing, works great!

Roger aka GIFLYRC
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:24 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Way to go Blue! The Spit has one of the best, most forgiving wings there is, on a par with the P-47 Thunderbolt. It should fly well. Tex.