HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:25 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
Build Log
F4U Corsair: My Marines Dream Re-Paint

In my quest to personalize my F4U I chose the Marine's Dream Corsair as the plane I wanted to emulate! I really liked the tri-color livery, and debated between the "Jolly Roger" scheme or this one? Okay, maybe the nose art did have something to do with it!

Marine's Dream #19 is owned by Ray Dieckman and piloted by Lt. Col. Ken Walsh. It's classified as a FG-1D and it's Reg. #NX773RD.

This is how my version turned out!

During my research of the Corsair it was brought to my attention by the resident Corsair guru, MerlinV16/John, that the FMS Corsair is NOT a F4U-4, but rather a F4U-1D. His knowledge and help has been greatly appreciated! Thanks John!

To prep the plane for painting I needed to first remove the old paint. I used a tried and true method that has worked for me in the past. I used a needle nosed air gun coupled with 120 psi. This method works great, and will remove paint from panel lines, crevices and other recessed areas without having to touch the foam surface itself. I might add here that it's an excellent way to remove decals without harming the surrounding paint also. The paint FMS used on the Corsair is pretty good, and a lot of it I couldn't blow loose, so I just left it alone. Once I got all the loose paint off, I ran over the entire plane with Acetone to remove any oily surfaces. Once I was satisfied everything was clean, I started laying on the primer.

Because of some mods I had done, eg. wing gun housings, I decided to use Krylon Gray Primer #51318 for my base. Because of it's cost effectiveness I like using Krylon on these EPO foamies whenever possible.
For the dark blue I chose Testors ModelMaster Insignia Blue #FS35044 enamel. For the mid-tone light blue, John once again steered me in the direction of the MM's Navy Blue/Gray, and it turned out to be a perfect match. I used Krylon Flat White #51502 for the belly, and for touch-ups I'll use MM Flat White #FS37875. I also painted the interior wheel bay and doors with MM Green Zinc Chromate, and the interior with MM Interior Green #FS34151. I thinned all the Testors paint to 50%, and set the pressure to 30 psi. for both the Paasche & Badger air brushes. I would estimate I used 2-3 1.5oz. bottles of both blues as I still have some left over.

After applying the primer coat and the first coat of white, I tried testing the paint with tape and it ended up pulling everything off the foam, so instead, I made some paint masks out of card stock and used that process with the airbrush to blend the lines.

I still have a ways to go before I can start applying the Callie graphics, so here are some preliminary pics of the first stages.

UP-DATE 1/09/2011: After much deliberation I decided a finish coat had to be applied. I ended up using something I already had on hand, Krylon Clear Satin #51313 . It was not until after I had already clear coated the plane that I got information about Valspar's Clear Flat enamel #65060 which probably would have been a better finish, but I'm happy with the results I got!

Once the clear coat cured out I started applying the really great Marines Dream graphics I got from Callie Graphics. To compliment her graphics I made my own set of identification numbers using the font AmarilloUSAF TTF on clear vinyl label sheets I got from Online Labels.com. I like this vinyl material much better then the regular water slide decal paper I used for the graphics on the P-51, they stick much better on the painted surface.
Sandancer is online now Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Jan 26, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:53 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,084 Posts
Very well done! I recently used Callie Graphics for the first time as well and I've been very pleased with her work. I will use her again for sure.

I like the way you did your flaps, it seems like a very light weight and simple (yet effective) way to incorporate the flaps.

Thanks for documenting your progress.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member