HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:00 PM
Spokane, WA
Joined Jun 2002
156 Posts
Two Meter S400 model options

I want to build a 2 meter speed 400 powered sailplane with an airframe cost of $100 or less. My first choice is the Lil Bird 2ME from Skybench Aerotech.

If any of you have words of advice or experience with Skybench and/or the Lil Bird 2ME, I would appreciate hearing from you. Any other models that you would suggest?

Drive system is already owned Rocket 400 motor, 8 cells, 3.86:1 planetary gearbox, 11x8 folding prop from a crashed model.

Why 2 Meter? 'Cause my old eyes lost my 60" model, which explains the available drive sysem.
Dave Moore is offline Find More Posts by Dave Moore
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2003, 12:03 AM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,859 Posts
Greetings,

Ya, I know very well about the being eye challanged. For quality and price, I would think the the 2ME would be the ticket.
Just for reference, the lightest production sp400 LMR is the Sky Sergio. At 2.2 meters, the kit arrives covered at a little less than 10 ozs. We have a few at the club, and they average around 22.5 ozs RTF. I would think that with some of Dreala's mods, some weight can be shaved off the 2ME.
I have a Lil Bird kit, but it is the original with fully sheeting wings. A little to heavy and over built for my needs with sp400 LMR. So off to auction block for this one.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:55 AM
.Denver, Co.
Joined Feb 2003
1,415 Posts
HI Dave:

I will have to agree with Jared that those types of planes, (Lil Bird, Aspire,Gentle Lady,et al.) are a little to heavy to be any good with just a sp400. You may fall asleep by the time they reach any decent altitude, if they make it that far in the first plane. You may have to dig a little deeper in the old pocket book and start looking at the more efficent sailplanes (NSP, Art Hobby,Aero-model, Esprit, etc) where you can use your sp400. Myself, I took a HLG (1.8M WS) cut off the nose and shoe horned the power system in. Used for sp400 F5J. And it's relaxing as a sport flyer.
flyingdogtwo is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogtwo
Old Jul 22, 2003, 09:14 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Dave,

Take a look at the Art Hobby line. They have some very light ships that might work with s400.

http://www.arthobby.com/gliders.html
Then click on electro gliders link on the left.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2003, 10:46 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,148 Posts
The lil bird 2 meter is not in the same catagory as an Aspire. The Skybench plane is very light (20 to 22 ounces). With the geared 400 it will climb decently.
The best 2 meter speed 400 glider would be Mark Drela's Allegro Lite. It flies on a direct drive speed 400 and can be built to about 22 to 24 ounces flying weight. Unfortunately it's a complicated build and few have completed one. Kits are no longer available although you can buy rib sets and the boom.
I've heard that Art Hobby planes are much heavier than advertised.
I like the lil' bird 2 meter.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Last edited by John Gallagher; Jul 22, 2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 04:06 PM
Toronto Pearson, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
92 Posts
2 meter speed 400

You might want to look at Sobox mefisto 2 meter. I fly mine with a speed 400, cosmotek 4.5 : 1 planetary gearbox , 14 X 9.5 CFK carbon prop, 8 ea 600 ma 2/3 A cells. It draws about 8.25 amps and gives me about 4+ minutes of uasble run. It climbs well to thermalling height with about 1 min. run. It thermals well however it is not a floater, and even at 2 meters you do not want to take your eyes off of it too long since it is covering quite a bit of the sky in a hurry. It requires 2 ea sub micro servos for the ailerons and 2 sub micro servos for the v tail.

Sobox Web site :

www.soboxplanes.com
black alder is offline Find More Posts by black alder
Old Jul 22, 2003, 04:10 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,148 Posts
Is the Sobox less than $100?
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Jul 22, 2003, 05:30 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined May 2000
602 Posts
Quote:
The best 2 meter speed 400 glider would be Mark Drela's Allegro Lite. Kits are no longer available although you can buy rib sets and the boom.
BTW, Polecat Aero has the WindDancer kit for $169, and my understanding is that it's basically the Allegro e-Light modified for mass-production (tube spar, etc.). Yes, it's also out of my budget.
http://www.polecataero.com/

One (subjective) advantage of the Lil Bird is that it's so dang purdy. Do a search on this forum for threads regarding the electric 2M Bird.

- Chung
chlee is offline Find More Posts by chlee
Old Jul 22, 2003, 06:30 PM
Toronto Pearson, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
92 Posts
speed 400 2 meter

Mefisto 2 meter, still listed on his web site at introductory price of $ 139.00 US
black alder is offline Find More Posts by black alder
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:18 AM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
Another option (but not quite 2M ) is the HOB 2x6. The kit cost $27 from Quantum Models.

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/quantummodels/

House of Balsa K27 2x6 Glider
The fuselage of the 2 x 6 glider is lite ply. Compared to balsa, this adds only a small amount of weight but is much stronger. The 2 x 6 will take rough landings and rough treatment better than just about any other sailplane. Slow gentle flight characteristics make it ideal for training. Specs: Wing Span: 72", Required Radio: 2 Channel

Good luck
John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:46 PM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,251 Posts
1.5 m Ascent

Hi Dave-

Check out the Ascent thread. I'm very sight challenged, having had retinal surgery on my left eye, plus I'm very nearsighted with monster 'floaters'. I've lost a couple of planes on cloudy/hazy days with poor lighting contrast. Amber or yellow sunglasses help a lot.

I can see the bright red-orange Ascent just fine, even better than some of my 2m planes that are white. It is about $69 and will fly OK with the stock motor, though replacing the prop with a smaller one (6x3 or 6.3x3) will actually improve performance and keep it cooler. It thermals well and has turned out to be my favorite plane though I have some that were more expensive.

Rich
rloose is offline Find More Posts by rloose