SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2001, 04:18 PM
crashnburn
n/a Posts
Herr Engineering Pitts Special

Anybody flying one of these ? I'm having a blast with mine.
Speed 480 (6v.), 3.45:1 gearbox, 9x6 prop, and 8-1200 ma battery pack.
Gives me 7+ minutes of screamin' or 12+ minutes of fun flying.
How about yours???

Don
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2001, 10:31 AM
crashnburn
n/a Posts
Come on now, I know at least one e-zoner has this model.
I'd like some input to compare with my setup.
Don
Old Oct 10, 2001, 10:38 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Mine is in the 'rebuild cue' needing a replacement leading edge of lower wing and the front bottom balsa/landing gear replaced.

Flew mine with Kontronik BL400-22, 2.3:1 mini-oly gearbox, 9x6 and 9x7 props, 12x1300mah NiMH cells. Flew great! One of my best flyers ever. Good power, speed was not all that great, but hey - it's a Pitts! Would maintain level flight at tick-over idle. SLowed for landings.

I attempted a flight with 800AR cells and was not prepared for th quick dump the cells take at the end of the discharge. Could not line up with the landing strip and put it down hard and into a barbwire fence (hence the LG and leading edge).

I replaced the landing gear with an allow set and larger wheels - left off the pants. Worked much better than the stock gear which folded on the first few landings.

Overall, I was impressed with it and will certainly rebuild to fly another day!

Steve McBride
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Oct 11, 2001, 01:25 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Carson City, NV
Joined Nov 2000
888 Posts
Steve and Don:

What are the all-up weights of your Pitts? I'm currently building that one myself, but I'm using a lesser power system than you guys(Permax 480, 2.33:1, 9x6, 10 1100AAUs), and I'm hoping to keep it to 30 oz. or less.

Thanks
Jeff
astroboy is offline Find More Posts by astroboy
Old Oct 11, 2001, 01:45 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
I believe mine came out at 32-34 ounces. Still flew great. Don't prop for a lot of speed as you don't need it (not sure of the 480 constant).

Good luck and let us know how she goes!

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Oct 11, 2001, 04:42 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Carson City, NV
Joined Nov 2000
888 Posts
Thanks, but it'll be a while--like Christmas at the earliest, and likely later. I'm not a fast builder, and I'm doing a fair amount of modification to the model.

Jeff
astroboy is offline Find More Posts by astroboy
Old Oct 12, 2001, 07:52 AM
crashnburn
n/a Posts
Astroboy,

Mine came out about the same as Steve's, weightwise.
Mine weighs in at 33 oz.

Don
Old Apr 22, 2003, 06:50 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
My 30" Pitts

I`m building the Herr Pitts as well.

Very nice kit. Balsa is fantastic quality!

Having fun building it and plan on a Mega 16/7/8 motor with 2:8.1 gear.

Cheers

Warren
Warren Jones is offline Find More Posts by Warren Jones
Old Aug 15, 2003, 01:03 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
My Herr Pitts

Pics are comming.

What a nice flying aircraft!

Not the easiest "Bipe" to fly, but tracks through the air on rails.

Despite my attempts to lighten the airframe, in the end it seemed insignificant. If you run out of power, expect to come down like a stone. I modded the upper and lower wing to scale ailerons. (barn door style). The snap rolls are incredible.

I took it to the local club and it left a good impression. One quote," It blows glow away".,,,,,,heheeheheh.

Oh,...I guess I should tell you what power system;

Mega Acn 22/20/3E Direct drive, Phoenix 45, 8 Cell 1300`s, 9x7 APC.

She`s squirelly on the ground. My solution is to (grass or all weather field) start roll out slow up to mid throttle and then if trouble is detected,.....punch it as you pull up! The Mega will "yank" it to the heavens.
Flys good on 1/4 throttle. Performs all manuevers in the book if you are up to the task which I am not.
Flight time seems rather short. Landings are fairly tame with power on. Likes to fly by the throttle. Easier to land than take off.

Very impressive for a rather crude "sport scale".

I think I`ll keep her,.......for awhile.

Cheers

Warren
Warren Jones is offline Find More Posts by Warren Jones
Old Aug 16, 2003, 01:41 PM
St. Louis Bi State, Missouri, United States
Joined Nov 2001
87 Posts
I dont have an electric version but I built it for glow when it first came out a few years ago and I may have a few tips for you to save you some weight and aggrevation. The plane really flies great but ground handling (especially on grass) is reall tough. A mini gyro on rudder would probably make it a pure joy to take off with little weight penalty. Also the rudder is quite powerful and will overpower the ailerons if you attempt knife edge flight. It does awesome snaps and tumbles though (like a Pitts should). I have often though of building it without ailerons as it flies great with just rudder and elevator. This would save you a ton of weight. You could just build a second bottom wing to try it. Adding ailerons to the top wing would help their responsiveness but I dont know if you'd appreciate the added weight and complications involved in that mod. The landing gear also leaves a bit to be desired. After several flights the wire bends allowing the wheels to toe out further aggrevating the ground handling, not to mention frequent nose overs on grass. I think a .10 size set of aluminum gear placed a bit forward of the stock ones would give much better service over the long haul with little if any weight gain. This is one tough bird. I've dorked it a couple of times pretty hard with not too terribly much damage. Needless to say if you're a bit more careful with it you could lose some weight on the fuse by cutting some lightening holes. That's about all I can think of. Best of luck with it.
roberts is offline Find More Posts by roberts