HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:13 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
F4U Corsair: The Navigation Lights

This plane has to be identified in the dark of night so of course it get's a set of Navigation lights too.

UP-DATE 2/12/2013: I have taken a different approach to how I wanted to configure the landing lights on the Corsair!

I've removed that single light pod design from the belly, and I've installed a more conventional 2 light system on the wing's LE. I used two 1W 90LM LEDs mounted in 1/16" ply and recessed in the LE of both wings. I have the wiring channeled back in to the flap servo cavities and the routed in to the compartment in the wing where I changed out the light controller to a Lazertoyz Maxi, that way I can turn the landing lights on & off separate from the other nav lights. I then covered both light's recesses with pieces of 3M packing tape to simulate lens covers.

Finishing up the mod, I used strips I cut from the roll of white Oracal651 vinyl I have, painted them to match the MM Navy Blue/Gray that I used on the bottom of the wings, and covered all the wire channels.

The Corsair looks much better now!

~~~~Thumbnails~~~~
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Feb 12, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:09 AM
Joined Dec 2005
33 Posts
How did you run the wires in the wings and fuselage? I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have an AIRFIELD Corsair (same plane) and a RC LANDER F9F Panther, with afterburner and lights.

I've been checking out your mods and was thinking of making my Corsair more F4U-4-like.
rmasterd is offline Find More Posts by rmasterd
Old Mar 08, 2014, 04:01 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,390 Posts
you cannot use 1W 90LM LEDs on the Lazertoyz Maxi unit,
you will never get 1W out of it, due to the serial resisitors of 90Ohm used on that unit. 1 Watt leds needs a current of max 300mAmp , one output of the unit will gave a max of 20mA.
i use also a Lazertoyz Maxi unit but i have modified it to use 1W LEDS

on my request he put a note on the MAXI webpage :
Kit works with most Leds 2.2 V to 3.2 V and will supply 20 mAmp no resistor required
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies