Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:00 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
New Product
FMS Messerschmitt Bf109F 1400mm

Hi folks,

yesterday Fletchace broke the news that the prototype of this plane that some of the people in RCG have contributed to was finally ready. The model should be due in March.

As there is already confusion going on in the thread for the older version Bf109, it is time for an own thread for this completely new built bird.

As this model is released, production of the old one will cease as it was very unscale and did not sell well at all.
The new model however looks very good, every major issue was corrected and it sports very neat scale features like the round spinner, vacuumed nose guns&channels, vacuumed exhaust stacks, scale prop, scale canopy and also (as it looks on the photos) scale ailerons and flaps, including inner split flaps.
It only could use a little more wing dihedral and therefore the outward rake on the gear is less than on the original, which could cause delicate ground handling. It therefore would be a good idea to rake the gear both forward and outward to the scale positions as seen on other FMS warbirds to improve ground handling.

See photos of the prototype below. Also attached below is a sideview of the paintscheme that was elected here in the Groups during a poll to be the one on the model. We don't know yet if FMS are gonna use it though.
The Bf109 F had a large variety of paintschemes, one of them also being the Africa camo. This would not be scale on the model though, as African theater Bf109s had a dust filter mounted on the supercharger intake scoop on the left side of the nose, which this model does not have.

FMS has done a very good job on this model, really looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Bernhard
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Last edited by Beltpilot; May 17, 2011 at 09:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:15 AM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,033 Posts
That looks pretty good to me. Even the prop looks almost the right size. It will be interesting to see if anyone has any problems regarding scale features on this one. If they keep improving like this everyone will be happy. Poor jbc. Sorry mate, you'll have to get a bigger house to store all these models.
Chris F is online now Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:59 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
3,976 Posts
Bernhard, you have great connections in China !!

Looking good !!

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:01 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post
Bernhard, you have great connections in China !!
Obviously I don't
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:32 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
3,976 Posts
Well where do you get these pictures from then ... ?

KM
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:36 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Well as I said: Fletchace posted the news and pictures over in the FMS-development thread... I waited for him to start a new thread, but as he hasn't done it so far and there were already things mixed up in the old thread, I went ahead and started this one.

Cheers,
Bernhard
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:38 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
3,976 Posts
Ah okay ! found the thread you mentioned... Leys hope both the planes come out, the bf 109 as well as the as Ju87... However i hope if they ever bring out a Focke Wulf wit will not be the Dora, since that plane is ugly (LOL) .

KM
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:50 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Props to FMS for turning an absolute 'pig-dog' of a 109E into a much more scale appearing 109F (with mods this should serve as an excellent base to represent 109F's including trops, 109G's either earlier G2-4 etc with out the fuselage MG bulges or even a decent G5-6's etc by adding them - Yes I know the G5-6 had other subtle diffences to the cockpit glassing etc).

This early pre-production version bodes well for the finished product and with the news of a 190D as well, axis warbird fans should be reasonably happy very soon.
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:54 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
KM,

presently there is no reason to doubt that those two planes will be released as they are almost finished...

As for the 190, Fletch reported they wanted to do a Dora... in the end it doesn't really matter. as both the A and the D have their fans and as soon as one of them is done, you'll always have cheers and mourns.
After all, the Dora has some advantages over the A when looking at making a flyable RC-model, most obviously the long nose which makes it easy to get the CG right...

Yes, the D is somewhat ugly, but it also looks brute, mighty, powerful! A real nasty machine!That said, it has its own, unique appeal. Gotta get used to it, then you'll like it. Like with certain songs

Cheers,
Bernhard
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:02 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
3,976 Posts

Proper scheme of a Bf-109F

JG-54 1942

The paint scheme which is put in the small picture is sadly to say, wrong, since it is a Finnish type winter scheme.

If i am wrong please post PHOTOS of the particular plane in question.

Here is a list of all colours used by the Luftwaffe:

http://www.scalemodels-bg.com/files/...W2_colours.pdf

Btw the Ta-152 *or Dora, was indeed a brute plane, but did not engage the enemy as much as people seem to think...

KM
Last edited by kusunokimasahige; Dec 19, 2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:04 AM
Joined Dec 2009
534 Posts
looks sweet

count me in, if it flies as good as my old FMS 109 and looks even better this is gonna be great
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:15 AM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
[QUOTE

Proper scheme of a Bf-109F

JG-54 1942

The paint scheme which is put in the small picture is sadly to say, wrong, since it is a Finnish type winter scheme.

[/QUOTE]

What do you mean with"Finnish type"?
During the WW2 both Luftwaffe and Finnish Airforce operated in Finland independently, as also sometimes collaborated during the operations.
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:36 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
3,976 Posts
I mean the camouflage scheme in green and white and the not angled way in which it is painted... (actually the old scheme with whitewash over it)

I know JG-54 did have some pretty off the scale and out of order paint jobs, as did some other Jagdgeschwader.

I base my references mainly on my extensive study of the Luftwaffe, as well as on photos. This particular scheme to me is unknown in JG-54 context. I just was told by Bernhard its a late 42 scheme so i will look into that part of the war more closely.

I am more of a Modder than a builder, thats why i love these FMS birds in foam, which are easily repaintable...

KM
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:39 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined May 2009
503 Posts
Man I tell ya, FMS is REALLY setting the bar high! The other manufactures are gonna have their work cut out for them(PZ,Eflite,Etc.)!!!Don't EVER see myself buying outside FMS. Now just deciding which one I want between them. Thanks ALOT FMS for making the decision so hard!lol
Rc247 is offline Find More Posts by Rc247
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:46 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post

If i am wrong please post PHOTOS of the particular plane in question.

Here is a list of all colours used by the Luftwaffe:

http://www.scalemodels-bg.com/files/...W2_colours.pdf

Btw the Ta-152 *or Dora, was indeed a brute plane, but did not engage the enemy as much as people seem to think...

KM
KM,

what do you mean by "wrong", the colors of that drawing or the camo pattern?
If you mean the colors, you might be right. However on the description there is reference to RLM 70 and 71, I sent color patches of that to FMS. As for the pattern, it should be pretty much right. Remember that winter camo was added at the field with white paint and therefore had kind of a random pattern on each plane. Actually the ones you posted don't look that different...

I attached both a photo of a smaller scale kit of that plane and a color patch for RLM 70/71 to this post, see for yourself.
Do you have any reference for Finnish camo? I wasn't aware that it resembles the camo on this Bf109...

On a sidenote, the Ta-152 is a different plane than the FW-190 D. Basically the successor to the FW190, the Ta-152 was focussed on high altitude interception and only some 30 were built, they actually never saw combat. Of the FW-190 D, more than a thousand were built, but as the Me262, it came to late to have significant impact...

Cheers,
Bernhard
Closed Thread