HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:56 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Data
ESC pulsing with dual EDFs running 2 x Phoenix 10

I just completed a project that I've been working on for some time, today was its first flight. It's a small (18" wingspan) jet with dual EDF40 fans with brushless Feigao 5800 Kv motors and dual Phoenix 10 ESCs. There was an odd problem, it ran fine up to about 80% throttle and it ran fine at 100% throttle, but in the range between 80 and 100 one motor pulsed in a wave pattern- kind of like RAAAAArrrrrrrRAAAAArrrrrrRAAAAA. The ESCs are connected to the RX in separate ports (one in throttle, the other in gear). They are mixed for differential thrust although differential is activated by a switch and the pulsing happened whether the differential was activated or not. Both ESCs are connected to the same battery (a 3S 910 TP pack). The total amp draw is 12.5 amps, or 6.25 amps per motor/ ESC. I have a link and set up both ESCs exactly the same. I spent some time changing the motor timing and PWM rate (making the same changes to both ESCs separately before bench-testing) and no matter what I did it did the exact same pulsing at the same throttle settings. I actually started typing this to ask for help, but I tried a few more things before finishing this and finally discovered that the problem was with the newest software I had loaded on them (the beta version). I downloaded the previous non-beta version and now everything is working fine again. I wasn't sure how to let you guys know about this problem so figured I'd go ahead and post it here. Thanks!!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:03 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
What version of firmware are you running on the controllers?
If it's the latest back of to 3.2 & let's see what it does.

Steve
RS Rogers is offline Find More Posts by RS Rogers
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:26 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
With the motors you are using connect the ESC to the Castle Link and change the PWM Rate in the Motor tab to 12 kHz. Default it is set for outrunner motors and this can cause synchronization issues with inrunners.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:36 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
961 Posts
Question? Some here have used a V-Tail mixer to do the differential thrust thing. Foam & Tape did this on his twin cargo plane. Would this solve the problem? Both motors were like blue wonder 24gram outrunners or something.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE