HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by superdave42, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:28 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,299 Posts
Discussion
MK Flying in the rain

The rain did not stop me from flying today I put rain coats over the esc's on the arms and the AR Drone body work protected the FC. it was a lot of fun
My son took the pics and video.

MK Quad flying in the rain (0 min 32 sec)

MK Quad flying in the rain 2 (0 min 54 sec)

Mikrokopter in the rain (0 min 54 sec)

MK flying in the Rain 1 (1 min 57 sec)

superdave42 is offline Find More Posts by superdave42
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2010, 01:14 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Hah! Good stuff, looks like fun.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:19 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,299 Posts
Totally fun. kinda feels like I'm doing something I'm not supposed to be doing lol
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:35 PM
"Let's put a camera on that.."
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
Don't brushless motors need to be kept out of water, too?
spagoziak is offline Find More Posts by spagoziak
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:44 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagoziak View Post
Don't brushless motors need to be kept out of water, too?
depends, there are no exposed conductors in it, so it will not short out while submerged, un-coated stator plates can rust, and cheap bearings can rust etc.

I just spray some WD-40 into the motors, fly in the rain, and when done wash the water out of the motors by spraying them with WD-40 again. no rust yet :-)
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:01 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave42 View Post
depends, there are no exposed conductors in it, so it will not short out while submerged, un-coated stator plates can rust, and cheap bearings can rust etc.

I just spray some WD-40 into the motors, fly in the rain, and when done wash the water out of the motors by spraying them with WD-40 again. no rust yet :-)
Wow that's wild! I had no idea.. so if I wrap my esc openings in plastic wrap or something that keeps water out, and secure my controller & misc electronics in something watertight (like the traditional tupperware)... oh and somehow wrap the lipo... I could fly in the rain lol
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:30 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagoziak View Post
Wow that's wild! I had no idea.. so if I wrap my esc openings in plastic wrap or something that keeps water out, and secure my controller & misc electronics in something watertight (like the traditional tupperware)... oh and somehow wrap the lipo... I could fly in the rain lol
Lol yea, within reason of course. I was not lifting any extra weight, so my sec's were running cool anyway. The body work shielded the flight controller and RX. I wrapped my esc's but am going to spray the boards with an "conformal coating" basically a really thin silicone shield. Still transfers heat well, we use it on our rugged series of power supplies at work.

Honestly I let my lipo get wet. Was not worried about it.

Unplugged batt, removed bags from esc's and let it all dry over night.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:55 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave42 View Post
Lol yea, within reason of course. I was not lifting any extra weight, so my sec's were running cool anyway. The body work shielded the flight controller and RX. I wrapped my esc's but am going to spray the boards with an "conformal coating" basically a really thin silicone shield. Still transfers heat well, we use it on our rugged series of power supplies at work.

Honestly I let my lipo get wet. Was not worried about it.

Unplugged batt, removed bags from esc's and let it all dry over night.
This is great info... Minnesota may be frozen solid under two feet of snow right now but come spring there will be plenty of rain. Knowing this will get me airborne all the sooner