HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:35 PM
Australia, QLD, Flinders View
Joined Dec 2010
10 Posts
Discussion
Convert 3D model into laser ready 2D slices

Hi.

I am a long time viewer of this forum and heli flyer.
I am now moving to scratchbuilding and would like to build a plane from a plan. I intend to have everything laser cut and I was wondering if anyone has experience in converting 3D models into 2D plans. I would like to make the plane as easy as possible to build such as these laser cut kits that can be purchased from hobby shops.

I have a few models that I downloaded from Google warehouse and I am handy in Sketchup. I can slice the models up using Slicer tool.

Anyone has done that before? Any tutorial available online?

Thanks for any input.
techasist is offline Find More Posts by techasist
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:18 AM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,626 Posts
I've never done it with 3D digital models, but I have bought plastic model kits of the plane I want to make (buy the biggest scale you can afford). You glue it together then slice it into as many sections as you want, scan them in, import them into your favorite CAD program and trace them out. It only gives you the outline but it's not a bad start
Frenche is online now Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:30 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
ask your question in this thread. I'm sure you'll get further on your topic. hope that helps you.

Rich

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920416
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:05 AM
SDF
Joined Sep 2002
272 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...469391&page=22

Look at post 328 on page 22 of the thread. That outlines my procedure for doing just that. Feel free to ask questions. I might be able to help. It's a time consuming process, but yields fantastic results.

Will
FOShowNoClass is offline Find More Posts by FOShowNoClass