SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2010, 05:25 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
New Product
Air Hogs Helix 360 4ch Single rotor IR Heli Radio Shack Version!

Here it is, and what a great little Heli it is. yes, its a 4 channel toy grade Heli. The only draw back that I can see is that its IR controlled although it seems to work quite well in the house or living room.

Did it break after a crash? see this.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=20
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Nov 14, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2010, 05:45 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
There's already a thread on it, but it might be listed under the silverlit version.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2010
77 Posts
Yes, there are 3-4 threads here on it. For the price a Solo Pro would be a better choice. It is also IR instead of 2.4.

Here is a decent review:

4 channel Air Hogs Helix 360 Review and flight (11 min 5 sec)
Ottawa919 is offline Find More Posts by Ottawa919
Last edited by Ottawa919; Dec 18, 2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:27 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post
There's already a thread on it, but it might be listed under the silverlit version.
Yea, I saw that and it has a USB cable or something and the box is different. This model you can buy here now. I would say this is the Air Hog Version so the thread stays. Thanks for the info.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:41 PM
Joined Dec 2010
77 Posts
As you can see in the video review it is a very stable FP and likely is the most rugged FP heli out there. Too bad there's no removable battery. One 9 minute flight per hour is a drag (10 min cool down, 35 min change off of the controller).
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:49 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
As you can see in the video review it is a very stable FP and likely is the most rugged FP heli out there. Too bad there's no removable battery. One 9 minute flight per hour is a drag (10 min cool down, 35 min change off of the controller).
Yea, perhaps I will do a removable lipo mod with this thing. I was just looking at the body and I'm trying to figure out how to remove it or get access to the lipo.

I just got through flying it and all I can say is..Its very stable. Almost like the MCX but not as boring. Don't get me wrong. I love the MCX but I'm more impressed with a SR as I'm sure most of you are.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
77 Posts
Here is a flybar mod for a little more responsiveness.

Air Hogs Helix 360 Modification (4 min 41 sec)
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:18 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
Yea, I saw that and it has a USB cable or something and the box is different. This model you can buy here now. I would say this is the Air Hog Version so the thread stays. Thanks for the info.
Great let's confuse people looking for info! Let's start another thread for the Radio Shack version as well.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:44 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Radio Shack Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post
Great let's confuse people looking for info! Let's start another thread for the Radio Shack version as well.
Well, it is a different version and is the only one that I know is available at this time from a retail standpoint. I actually was confused that there was not a thread for the Radio Shack version. Matter of fact I will edit the title to reflect this I think people are smart enough here to not be confused by a thread that is for the version they may have
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:50 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Here is a flybar mod for a little more responsiveness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZrYqofEtE
That is a interesting video but I have to say that I like this Heli's pitch and roll response as is. I fly it in the Kitchen and there is not much room in there so the response is just right for those conditions. If I want more response, I will fly my Blade MSR. And if I really want response, I will fly my Blade CP PRO but thanks for posting the video Ottawa.

I like that this Heli has its own TX and I don't have to drag out the Big TX to fly a micro Heli. The TX seems to work well.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
77 Posts
I picked one up so that my wife would give it to me for Christmas, lol. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I look forward to this as my first four-channel, mode 2 heli. I plan on picking up a CB100 next month, so my 360 is for playing around and getting a little more flight time.

Quote:
That is a interesting video but I have to say that I like this Heli's pitch and roll response as is.
I was wondering about that. Here is another video that shows its stability and agility (and durability as the pilot hits walls and couches!):

Air Hogs Helix 360 flight - Big Boy Toys preview (4 min 15 sec)
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:24 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
New video soon

He makes some good points in the video. First, it is extremely durable and can take the abuse of a new Heli pilot and can be flown into walls and ceilings with no apparent damage. As far as stability goes, I don't think this video really shows it. This guy is not concerned with stability, he want to fly fast and do tricks. I agree with his price theory. This thing is not cheap but cheap is as cheap does. This Heli really does perform and is worth the money for what it does.

I will make a video showing the Heli doing scale like flying, hovering, landing and takes offs and cat avoidance. My cats want to bat this thing down and chew it up but I keep it just out of their reach.
Last edited by modfly; Dec 18, 2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:08 AM
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
So the radio shack version has the USB cable? I see these at target all the time now. I returned the one I got at Target because I was able to buy a few of these during black friday for $50. Very durable and I'm giving these to my kids for xmas. I like how I could fly them into the ceiling, chairs or tables no problem. Just don't fly with the LCD tv on it will fall out of the sky 2 ft away from you.

BTW to open this thing up you just need a really small screw driver. Read the manual it mentions how to remove and dispose of the LIPO once it has failed. To me it means it no longer is disposable heli you can replace the batteries or add connectors to make some hot swappable batteries. I want to lighten the body or trans plant it to the old 2 ch air hog frame to make it lighter and fly longer. But why mess with a good thing. Maybe when my first battery dies.
aerorotor is offline Find More Posts by aerorotor
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:04 AM
Joined Dec 2010
77 Posts
Quote:
As far as stability goes, I don't think this video really shows it. This guy is not concerned with stability, he want to fly fast and do tricks.
Yes, I agree. I watched the video again after I made the post and was going to come back here to edit and remove stability but forgot.

Quote:
BTW to open this thing up you just need a really small screw driver. Read the manual it mentions how to remove and dispose of the LIPO once it has failed. To me it means it no longer is disposable heli you can replace the batteries or add connectors to make some hot swappable batteries.
Great info and good to hear that. Have you sourced batteries for it yet? I'm going to search around. If there is a relatively easy way to get to do a few flights per hour then it would be worth it.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:36 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I agree. I watched the video again after I made the post and was going to come back here to edit and remove stability but forgot.

Great info and good to hear that. Have you sourced batteries for it yet? I'm going to search around. If there is a relatively easy way to get to do a few flights per hour then it would be worth it.
Yes, thats good to know and I guess it pays to read the instruction
I have several lipos I could use in this bird. I did not see a a USB cable but I have not even looked in the package yet as I bought the floor model and it was out of the package.

I have several small Heli's so I really don't mind waiting for this one to charge.

What does the USB cable do? Flight sim mode perhaps? Maybe I should open the package and read the instructions.