HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:13 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpilot View Post
I have a question about the Airfield 50 amp esc. I have noticed that Banana Hobby is now selling the t28 with a 65 amp esc. I also was told by a friend of mine that somewhere on rc groups people have been reporting that the 50 amp esc seems to go out after several flights. Has anyone had this happen?

I have the 10 amp castle creations bec added to the 50 amp esc. Do you think that I will need to change the fms esc, the stock one that came with the plane or is it ok with the added 10 amp bec?

Also, after the maiden flight, my friend reported that he thought it was flying slowly and he had to use full throttle to keep the speed up. Could it be a setting on the esc? We were using a thunder power 4s battery (fully charged) with good amperage. Or could I have a bad esc?

Thanks to all.
It's kind of a crap shoot as far as the ESC, but for the most part I don't hear much bad about it powering the motor. Just the BEC. You've addressed that issue, so you should be good. The ESC usually works or don't. Unless you hit LVC and it's set to slowly power down the motor.
I know it seems like it fly's a little slow, but it always pulls through. Unless you have an old battery or one with a low C rating. What is the C rating on your battery?
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Dec 2006
854 Posts
I had both my t 28 and corsair esc burn out luckily just after I landed
I personally wouldn't use them
but as for speed they aren't rocket ships but seeing as I have gone to 80 esc I run both on 5s and 6s but rarely go of 2/3 throttle mainly only when pulling up through a big round loop or maneuver
iceaxe is offline Find More Posts by iceaxe
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:05 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,416 Posts
I replaced my 50Amp ESC with a Castle 75Amp just for the simple reason that when checked with my watts up meter it was pulling 47Amps. I prefer a little bigger buffer than just 3 Amps.

While the Trojan doesn't look like it's going very fast, I clocked mine with a Bushnell Radar Gun, straight and level it does 70mph, all stock.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperscott View Post
How about a link?
I hope I don't get banned for advertising. That is why I was refering back to the video that had the link. Here it goes.

www.mrrcsound.com
MrRCFlying is online now Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:18 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
I hope I don't get banned for advertising. That is why I was refering back to the video that had the link. Here it goes.

www.mrrcsound.com
Just use the PM system here to avoid the issue all together.
Mike.
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:33 AM
Flying!!! Got to love it
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Hi All, Went to the WRAM show in N.Y. last weekend on Sat with my buddy. We were at the Nitro Planes display and we both picked up one of the FMS 1400mm T-28's. He got the silver Air Force Huff & Puff and I got the orange & white Navy one. The nice thing was they were both the V2 version with the 65 amp ESC. We got them both for a real good price. A bit less then they had them marked for sale at the show . I was told that by the end of Sat. show Nitro Planes was sold out of just about all of the planes they had. The new WRAM show was better than the years before and we will be going back again next year for sure. All I can say we both like the T-28's we got. They both fly great and for the price can't be beat in my book. We both put a 2.5 wheel on the nose gear as we fly off grass. I have about 15 flights my T-28 on both 4s & 5s packs and have not yet used the flaps to take off or land. I myself see no need for them as she takes off and lands so easy. Here are a few pic's of them at the club a few days ago.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
raido56 is offline Find More Posts by raido56
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:21 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the replies and ideas from "Down Under". After seeing the collections it's almost worth a trip, I've always wanted to visit your beautiful country! Fishing line is one thing I have plenty of.

I did cut some 1/4" x 1" aluminum flat bar stock. I will see how everything fits this evening.

Question, if I coulkd pad the wing enough will the horizontal stabilizer hold the weight?
ovrclkd is offline Find More Posts by ovrclkd
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:50 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrclkd View Post
Anyone hanging the T-28 to keep it out of the way?
I made a twin "J" hook out of 1/2" aluminum rod, powder coated it black and used pipe insulation. It looks great but after a few days it began to dent the horizontal stabilizer even though I have the hooks positioned very close to the fuselage where they are pretty beefy.
The planes too large for me to keep anywhere but on a wall or ceiling.

Ideas, help, suggestions?
I made up some hangers so I could suspend mine from the ceiling. I show how I made them on the Utility pg.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
50 amp esc

To GaryK

The thunder power battery we were using was either a 45C or a 65C battery, 4S.

Eric
ericpilot is offline Find More Posts by ericpilot
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:42 PM
United States, CA, Shasta
Joined Apr 2008
10 Posts
V1 or V2 T-28

Very nice thread guys. Live chat with Andy at NP tonight, he said as far as he knows the RTF T-28 are still the V1 versions in stock. I see the ARF are out of stock. I sure like to have the new version without goofy. Anyway new to threading and RcGroups. Thanks you all for the great info and will be pulling the trigger soon.
BKM55 is offline Find More Posts by BKM55
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:29 AM
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM55 View Post
Very nice thread guys. Live chat with Andy at NP tonight, he said as far as he knows the RTF T-28 are still the V1 versions in stock. I see the ARF are out of stock. I sure like to have the new version without goofy. Anyway new to threading and RcGroups. Thanks you all for the great info and will be pulling the trigger soon.
Welcome Bryan,
Yes mate, there is a wealth of info to be gained from this thread, and others like it.
This model is a real joy to fly, and executing 'Greaser' landings is pretty common with it.

Look forward to your contributions soon.
Rob
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spektrum Gratton Air-Fair
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:32 AM
United States, CA, Shasta
Joined Apr 2008
10 Posts
Thanks Rob.
BKM55 is offline Find More Posts by BKM55
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:00 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
ESC / Receiver Recommendations

I am going to change out the stock 50amp ESC and have read the Hobby Wing 60amp Platinum is a decent product. I will be using the Castle BEC w/2200 Lipo along side it. Any recommendations on this or another, I also need receiver advice. I would like to change that as well and would appreciate suggestions.
Radio is a Spektrum DX7i / DSM2

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-platinum-60a.html
ovrclkd is offline Find More Posts by ovrclkd
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:12 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
I made up some hangers so I could suspend mine from the ceiling. I show how I made them on the Utility pg.

Gary
Yes I want to try this method. I have the parts list in my truck. Need some of that brake line......
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:19 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrclkd View Post
Anyone hanging the T-28 to keep it out of the way?
I made a twin "J" hook out of 1/2" aluminum rod, powder coated it black and used pipe insulation. It looks great but after a few days it began to dent the horizontal stabilizer even though I have the hooks positioned very close to the fuselage where they are pretty beefy.
The planes too large for me to keep anywhere but on a wall or ceiling.

Ideas, help, suggestions?
I made this last week to get mine off the ground. Works well.
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow