Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:37 AM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
571 Posts
Question
Question about matching esc to motor

Hi,
I i have a question concerning matching an esc to a motor. do you match as closely as possible the same amperage's, or do you get an esc that is slightly stronger?

I am getting a monster 32:
Continuous Current:
42A
Max Burst Current:
55A

I was thinking of getting the Volcano 40 amp: continuous 40, burst 55
http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-40...oller-esc.html

would i be better off with their suggestion that they add to the shopping cart? volcano 60amp:continuous 60, burst 80
http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-se...hless-esc.html
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:23 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,514 Posts
Theres is two ways of doing it.

#1 you go based on what the actual PROP and motor will draw
or
#2 you go based on motor max.

The second is kinda better as this will allow you to use it in different application is it could handle more.

Example of #1 - motor max amps 50 but the prop and motor will only pull 20A so you could get away with using a 25-30A esc.

or

Example of #2 - motor max is 50A and you get a 60A or higher esc regardless of the amp draw the current setup uses.

SO now you have a 60A that you could use in a bigger setup or a more amp demanding setup...

This is my esc to motor selection for Dummies..
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:25 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,065 Posts
You ought to go with the 60 amp ESC. The extra capacity will allow it to run cooler without adding significant weight.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:27 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlescd View Post
Hi,

I am getting a monster 32:
Continuous Current:
42A
Max Burst Current:
55A

would i be better off with their suggestion that they add to the shopping cart? volcano 60amp:continuous 60, burst 80
http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-se...hless-esc.html
Always go with one which is rated for more than you will ever draw... especially with some Chinese brands which really are at their limit (or over it) when you are running their rated max!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:29 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,523 Posts
I always err on the side of caution and go one size higher than the peak amps... I like 10-20% safety margin. I would recommend the 60A, and don't forget the programming card!

The ExceedRC Volcano series are re-branded Hobbywing Pentium's. Also sold as Turnigy Plush from HK. They are pretty decent ESC's.

Note: The 40A and higher (excluding the opto versions) have 3A switchmode BEC's. There are my favorite for larger planes as I can safely run 4 servo's off them.
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:37 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
Always go with one which is rated for more than you will ever draw... especially with some Chinese brands which really are at their limit (or over it) when you are running their rated max!
Monster 32 (4250): 210g (probably inaccurate)

So using the 3w/g rule, no more than 630W.

3S = 56.7A

4S = 42.6A

I would suggest even those numbers may be optimistic.

If you really want to see some grossly overinflated specs... look at what XYH publishes for these motors:

7S lipo & ~1100W!

http://www.xingyaohua.com/web/en/pro...id=13&proid=78

BTW, I have no experience with this motor. Others may have some better first hand experience.
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Last edited by philipa_240sx; Dec 18, 2010 at 12:44 PM.