HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
66 Posts
Discussion
Dihedral vs. Poly-Dihedral

don't want to start a math war but is there a noticeable difference in the flight characteristics between a sailplane with dihedral vs one with poly-dihedral with the EDA's being equal.
kamakasi is offline Find More Posts by kamakasi
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:59 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,416 Posts
"EDA's being equal".. i'd say no, no great difference. The polyhedral plane should be slightly more efficient but we are talking about very small margins.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:47 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,290 Posts
Yeah, but to get the same EDA (I'm assuming that EDA means Effective Dihedral Angle) the one with plain dihedral will have to have the tips further up in the air than the polyhedral wing. The greater angle in the tips of the poly wing means that you're getting a bigger shift in angles of attack from a given yaw angle out in the tip panels where there's more leverage to roll the model.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 18, 2010, 05:02 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,000 Posts
Then there is always elliptical dihedral.

Also more threads in the 'Similar Threads' list.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:36 AM
greg
somerset, nj
Joined Feb 2005
371 Posts
AMA articles

Blaine Beron-Rawdon wrote series of articles entitled "Dihedral" in the Aug-Nov 1988 Model Aviation magazine. The AMA has a digital archive where you can search for them. Try looking for "Dihedral" in 1988.
ciurpita is offline Find More Posts by ciurpita
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:50 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I've found poly is fine with a conventional rudder-elevator control system.
And not so fine with a vee-tail, but OK with an inverted vee-tail, these with rudder-vators.
The rolling input from the rudder on the vee-tail rolls the plane opposite the turning direction, and creates problems taking off and landing.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:50 PM
Joined Nov 2005
66 Posts
it seems the biggest difference is aesthetic. while 3 to say 5 degs. looks ok. with a single break 9 or 10 degs as you would find on a large res ship looks ridiculous. I know you should do the math and trust the #'s but my current projects name will pretty much say it all WAG-TLAR. I have the Sailplane Designer's Handbook by Eric Lister and while some of the airfoils are dated the equations and such are valid. This is how I went about determining the tail movement and fuselage dimensions. The planned wing span is 160" with an aspect ratio of 18.5 to 1 basically a big thermal ship I don't want to say XC and open myself to the argument as the mean cord is just over 9". I'm still messing around with the airfoil. I don't really need another bit floater I have my Sail-Aire for that. I want to start playing with ballasting and getting the wing loading up to a range where "stored momentum" has a meaning. The attachment shows a cheesy front view so you can get an idea of the form I have chosen for the dihedral. The ship is going to be Rudder, Elevator and Flaps. Don't know if I'll install spoilers but you can bet the provisions will be there. Oh. the dihedral shape comes from applying PHI (1.61803399) to the angles. The wife went back to college to finish out her ancient art's degree (going to be a prof.) so the suggestion was hers
kamakasi is offline Find More Posts by kamakasi