HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:02 PM
United States, OH
Joined Dec 2006
207 Posts
Question
Painting question latex paint and Gas

I am building my first True gas (not nitro) powered bird. Quick question, I have painted electrics with water based latex, however I thought I saw where it was gas proof, but couldn't remember for sure.

I am sure someone has experience. Thanks
Blue Jacket is offline Find More Posts by Blue Jacket
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:58 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,875 Posts
While I am not a fan of using latex on models, you will be fine.

If you spill raw gas on your finish, just wipe it off as soon as it is practical.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:21 AM
United States, OH
Joined Dec 2006
207 Posts
Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:40 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
You just need the proper paint brush for the job, Tom:-)))))))

And much retarder to keep the latex from setting up too fast and plugging up every orifice in sight (and most of them that are not in sight).

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:05 AM
Joined Apr 2009
120 Posts
Blue Jacket:

I've been using latex for years with great sucess! Use windshield washer fluid for your thinner, put a few drops of a product called "Flotrol" in the mix which can be purchased wherever they sell latex, and I use about 30-35 psi on my little old Badger airbrush. Painted many 1/4 scale planes this way. One thing I found is that each color has to be thinned accordingly because the amount of pigment is different in each color, and the beauty of it all is that if you get a run just wipr it off with a damp rag and shoot again. It works best to build uplight coats just like you would with any other paint. Good Luck!
destrat is offline Find More Posts by destrat
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:37 PM
United States, OH
Joined Dec 2006
207 Posts
Thanks, I have been using the windshield fluid, but will try the fotrol.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:40 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,875 Posts
I wonder what the effect is, of adding alcohol (in the windshield washer fluiid) and ammonia(same) are in the latex.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:13 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
861 Posts
I used latex on this Sig 1/4 Scale Clip Wing Cub. The covering is Sig Koverall applied with Modge Podge latex sealer/glue. The weave was filled with MP thinned with Floetrol and water. I did not have any success with alcohol, so I just used water to thin it with. The white was sprayed on using a HVLP spray gun. The blued was applied with foam brushes. A clearcoat of Varithane outdoor water based polyurethane. It will have a gas motor for power. This is my third latex painted plane. I use craft store acrylic latex paints, lots of factory colors and mine were purchased from Michaels Craft Store.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps