HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:45 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Discussion
E-flite Carbon-Z Yak 54

Just put this plane together and was trying to check CG. The manual says measure 6 inches from the trailing edge at the "WING TIP."

I am accustomed to using my CG machine that is setup to check CG at the FUSE. I haven't really ever done it at the wing tip... I suppose I could mark 2 spots at the wing tips and connect a string to them so I could get the CG at the fuse and then use the CG machine.

Anyone have any problems with this or do anything about this? I called Horizon and the gentleman basically told me to just do it like the manual says and hold it on two fingers. Personally I am a little OCD about CG and I didn't want to throw it up on my fingers. Maybe John R. could offer a bit of advice if your out there!?

THANKS!
shoeler is offline Find More Posts by shoeler
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2010, 04:36 PM
SoCal
Joined Feb 2004
412 Posts
The CG is not that critical, but if you really are concerned, do it with the string method you described. I just checked mine on my fingertips and it dropped the nose a bit so I flew it. Only have two flights so far and I may move the CG around just to see what happens.
TonyF is offline Find More Posts by TonyF
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:22 AM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
As Tony stated you can use the strign method you described to find the location at the fuslage.

Not everyone has a CG stand as you use and for the first 60 years we didn't have any. It isn't as critical as you think with a foamy. The planes have all been molded the same and pass many weight checks during manufacturing so your is probably spot on if using the included equipment.

Meassure the 6 inches at the tip and pick it up with your finger. You will be fine I promise. Give it a try, I am sure you will be sucessfull.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:39 AM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Jun 2010
239 Posts
Ok thanks a bunch gentlemen!
shoeler is offline Find More Posts by shoeler
Old Aug 13, 2013, 05:47 PM
Joined Oct 2005
11 Posts
Updating this thread for history's sake and save someone some time.

I like to use my CG machine which measures from leading edge at the fuse. Using string method, I determined CG at the fuse should be 106mm from leading edge. This results in perfect balance with the included 2800mah battery centered in the battery tray.
BluMiniMe is offline Find More Posts by BluMiniMe