HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2010, 03:51 PM
United States, MA, Wareham
Joined Dec 2002
215 Posts
Discussion
Hobbywing Pentium 40A Brushless ESC with UBEC

Just received this controller from HobbyPartz. It has an encapsulated coil wound into the receiver leads. Anybody know what this is for and if it is necessary?
frdeluca1 is offline Find More Posts by frdeluca1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:26 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
It is a toroid coil to reduce interference... beyond that, ask someone smarter than I am!

From an RC Groups post:

It is more likely that the ESC noise is radiating from the motor wires and being picked up by your Rx antenna and/or servo wires. Toroid rings can be effective in reducing the noise conducted by the servo wires. They should be placed as close to the servo plugs (where they connect to the Rx) as practical. The energy radiated by the motor mains can be reduced substantially by simply twisting them together. This simple expedient may be enough to resolve the problem you have experienced.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:29 PM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,097 Posts
That would be a "ferrite ring". It suppresses high frequency noise in electronic circuits.
I'm unclear if it is needed with 2.4GHz.
Dr.Kiwi beat me to it.
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Last edited by gofish; Dec 17, 2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: tad late
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:29 PM
Sleepy Hollow, IL
Joined Dec 2008
448 Posts
The ferrite rings are mainly used on ESCs that have a switching supply for the BEC. The ring as others have stated is to reduce the switching noise from entering the receiver.

Since linear BECs don't have this switching noise the ferrite rings are really not needed.

ampmaker
ampmaker is offline Find More Posts by ampmaker
Old Dec 18, 2010, 05:26 PM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdeluca1 View Post
Just received this controller from HobbyPartz. It has an encapsulated coil wound into the receiver leads. Anybody know what this is for and if it is necessary?
If you decide to leave the ferrite ring in place be sure to tie it down to the airframe!

I have seen 2 planes disconnect their Rx power due to the ring flailing about and pulling the plug out of the RX. Both times it happened during violent manoeuvres so the control surfaces stayed at near full deflection!
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:32 AM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,044 Posts
With switch mode bec's, the bec can introduce high frequency noise into an FM reciever, but 2.4ghz systems aren't affected by these high frequencies.

For 2.4ghz, you can remove the coil ( I use a pair of diagonal cutters to break the coil since they are rather brittle and soft.

for fm systems, its a must that you keep it on.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38