HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by peacekeeper94, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:49 PM
Romans 8:28
California
Joined Mar 2010
413 Posts
Gallery
Vintage Tamiya Wild One

While I was in Iraq back in 2003, my brother sent me a pic of this unbuilt kit that he found on e-bay. He said if I came home alive, I could keep it. I was planning on doing that anyway, but I still accepted his offer.

Well, after starting this project at the beginning of summer, I finally finished it. I ran into a few complications along the way though.

As it turned out, this kit was actually from Japan, with all Japanizes instructions. As I began assembly, I noticed that all the metal gears were crumbling in the package. Fortunately, the Frog used all the same metal gears, and I was able to order new ones direct from Tamiya. Then, another tragedy: As I was assembling the chassis, the right rear corner where the axle mount attached, crumbled away. I was devastated, but too far along in the build to just give up. With a little grinding and creative metal work, I was able to fabricate a bracket to hold the axle mount. The rest of the build went very smoothly.

I contacted the guys at Tamiya101.com to get their opinion on what happened to this kit. They thought for sure, it was poor storage, and was probably exposed to extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, which weakened the plastic and metal. I've run it twice now, and so far everything else seems to be solid. I thought I was goint to keep it as a soft runner, but it's just too much fun! I'll try not to run it too hard.

So here it is, cruzin down the trails of Baja on a rainy day. (Or maybe the hills in California behind my house. )
peacekeeper94 is offline Find More Posts by peacekeeper94
Last edited by peacekeeper94; Feb 05, 2011 at 06:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts