HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:12 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
You definitely did not make any direct accusations, but you made multiple indirect accusations. I really don't care though. Freedom of speech and press never hurt anyone... wait, yes it has. If you really mean it, leave your two posts there for all to see. (I won't quote it.) It's quite pathetic in my opinion.

ISPYFROMABOVE: "I have nothing to apologize for, and if you were offended by my observations, than that is your problem to deal with, not mine." You contradicted yourself in the same sentence. On a broader perspective, you interrupted my thread to TRY and make me look bad.

Although you will not be posting in my thread any more, I know you'll be reading...

Thank you all4. Is it ok to call you by your first name?
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:17 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
I prefer to be called all4 on the forums. What do you prefer? boredom.is.me, boredom, bim, Kevon... So many names! I usually just mix it up.
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:42 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
I kinda don't care.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:03 AM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
That's what I though. As long as you aren't called Kevin, right?
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:05 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
Funny story:
There was a deep conversation going on and I was part of it. One of the guys' name was Kevin, and that day I felt like ending in Kevon. So the convo goes on, but you can tell that Kevin's tone went from serious too pissed off. I didn't know why he was getting mad. Long story short, he apologized to me. He thought I was mocking him.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:03 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Yeah, I was reading that one as it went on. That's kind of what I was referring to. I think part of the reason he was getting pissed was that people were starting to confuse your names. He was being called Kevon and you were being called Kevin by a couple people I think.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 01:33 PM
Insert comment here:
Placentia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
1,020 Posts
Would it make more sense to use a motor from electric leaf blower(or similar) vs RC brushless motor???
totalywicked is online now Find More Posts by totalywicked
Old Dec 22, 2010, 02:50 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
I think most, if not all, leaf blowers use brushed motors. Although it may be cheaper, plus you'd get batteries with the deal too, brushless is more efficient. If Kevon is on a budget, sure, the battery powered leaf blower might be a desirable option. You can get a decent motor and battery for $50 that way. But if possible, I'd recommend sticking with the original brushless plan. More power, less weight, longer battery life.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 03:06 PM
Insert comment here:
Placentia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
1,020 Posts
Do-It-Yourself Hovercraft (1 min 57 sec)
totalywicked is online now Find More Posts by totalywicked
Old Dec 22, 2010, 03:20 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
You would need more than one leaf blower. Besides, wouldn't that cost more?

I didn't realize that three posts were made about the topic. All4 basicly summed it up. The video posted only goes against the desire for leaf blowers. You would probably need two or three to achieve a 6" hover height on a hull this size. For the same weight, you could drop a 20hp equivilant plus an extra 30 minutes worth of batteries.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by boredom.is.me; Dec 22, 2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:00 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISPYFROMABOVE View Post
I Smell a prank here.
It's not a prank. How do I know? Because I started the idea off. Here is the original thread..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1351087

Is it a coincidence that it happened just after the "Wise Guy" thread? Absolutely not. In fact, he inspired the idea. Initially I wanted to try what he had suggested, but figured I just didn't want to buy that much equipment. Thus, I thought of doing a hovercraft. boredom.is.me saw my idea and ran with it himself.

I think that leaf blower is very positive. It shows just how little power you need. Not exactly sure of it's rating, but since it runs off a normal power socket it would be much less than 7kW, and most likely around 1 or 2 kW.

No reason it shouldn't work. The biggest problem I see will simply be the short run time. Good on him, he seems to have more time than me to do it.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Last edited by Harrow; Dec 24, 2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:12 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
I = 140a, but I will not be drawing that much per motor. ... 5.8ah battery
Please correct me if my math is wrong.

A x H = AH (capacity)
H = AH/A

80(2) x H = 5.8
H = 0.03625
.03625 x 60 (min) = 2.175 minutes

That isn't much, but the batteries are not heavy, so I can always just add more at a cost of $137.16.
S = amount of battery pairs
137.16 x S = 2.175 x S = cost for a given time

I like math...
I actually worked out run time in the other thread. If my math is correct, I should get 130.5 seconds of runtime on a 5800mah 12s pack if I run both lift and thrust fans at full throttle. Each pack is 2kg because there are two 1kg 6s packs per 12s pack. After doing the math I decided on adding an extra 12s pack to the final product.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:48 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,312 Posts
130 seconds is only 2 minutes. Your batteries will be rather inefficient at the power level due to voltage drop, requiring even more current to get the amount of power you need. A second set of batteries would be a great idea, a necessity really, and a third would be even better.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:24 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
Ya I was trying to get the batteries sponsored as that is the mos costly part of the project.

Here is an idea, but I want some opinions.

The motors have a dual shaft output. Can I put a 18x6 or 18x8 on top and a 18x8/10/12 on the bottom?

I found that the motor can spin a 24x6 on 12s within the limits of a 100a esc, and that it can handle a 24x13. I even saw a 28x12 on 10s.

But if the 18xP are still too big, I saw 16x6, 16x7, 16x8, 16x10.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:07 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,312 Posts
boredom,

are you thinking of doubling up the props to try and approximate a fan? Two 4-blade props, doubled up would do a pretty good job of not allowing any air to leak back past the lift motor.