SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:01 AM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
205 Posts
Brady, is this a RC craft you're looking to build? If so, then it would be great to start a new thread to log your progress. If it's not RC, you may need to find more suitable forum...
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:14 AM
Glover
Joined Jun 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Brady, is this a RC craft you're looking to build? If so, then it would be great to start a new thread to log your progress. If it's not RC, you may need to find more suitable forum...
Hey. Sorry about that. I am still in the idea's stage, so i didn't think it was worth creating a thread until i knew if i was going through with it. I will keep posts relevant from now on, sorry for the hijack.
And yes, it will be RC.
Brady93 is offline Find More Posts by Brady93
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:21 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
"But you never know" is exactly right. I used latex based paint to seal the exposed surface. It is not as heavy as epoxy, which is crucial for my objective (electric), but isnt as strong. However I wouldn't need the extra strength though. Motors don't weigh nearly as much as engines. The support is needed around the battery bay, but being near the center, there is a bit of inherent strength.

As for ideas and info, this thread could use some activity. Go right ahead.

Kev
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:06 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Any updates? I'd love to see this thing carrying you around!
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:45 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
School is around the corner. Once I get settled in, I'll try to get access to the fancy machinery. It is just a big cnc router, but I don't have one (yet) so I call it fancy machinery.

Why do I want to start over? It is very simple. The tolerances of the other hull were way too high. I had about a 1/4" overlap around some of the sides and corners. The rear duct was also a pain in the...so I don't really care how much work my friend and I put into it. He'll ride it one of these days (if he makes it to Florida which is a strong possibility).

Hull:
The objective is to cut an entirely new hull. I am actually going to redesign it to have interlocking parts. I do not want tolerances any greater than 1/8" (3.175mm). I am sticking with the polycarbonate/plexiglass cockpit surface.

Ducts:
The rear duct needs to go together much easier, as in no sanding required. The lip and taper would all be done by the machine. The same goes for the forward duct. They will both have appropriate slots for the motor mounts and associated wiring.

Aesthetics:
One word - seamless. They would all be cut to the appropriate angles so that there is no guess work involved. I despise guess work. I will also use a thinner foam, most likely 1/2". The newer choice is a result of much more options. The previous choice was riddled in dimples which only sucked up paint, which will only increase weight. I would like the ability to simply cover the newer foam with something like a vinyl, flat black of course.

Power:
I will be using the same batteries, but I am going to look into better and bigger motors. (Do not start posting links.) I am not interested in buying any motors. I am going to ERAU, currently at the top in aerospace related fields. As a result of this project, I will most likely become associated with...you get where this is going. The ESCs may also go out the door.

Props:
I figure that this topic should have its own bracket. I need a new impeller. The thrust prop is still open to anything that can fit the shroud and give the motor a proper workout.

Overall:
Remove all guess work. Yes, there is a big difference in guess work and winging it. Strive for a better performance.

Side notes:
HK and I had a little disagreement. I guess both parties are wrong in this case. Either which way, I need to make that right. Their logo is still going to be found along the sides (or where ever is appropriate).
There are also a few other logos and thanks that will be placed on the side for spectators to see.

When this is all said and done, and everything works out to satisfactory results, I would like to offer it as a kit - just the foam and plastic/wood parts. This would be incredibly cheap compared to all other hovercraft kits. Again, I would not be looking for profits, simply a little funding to go further. That can't be too much to ask for. I have much bigger ideas in my head, and do not ask me what they are because I most likely will not tell until the time comes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:26 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
The first phase of redesigning: hull and shrouds. Almost there...

Would anyone happen to have a source for 4" thick eps, wallboard, or xps sheets?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:04 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,670 Posts
Hey mate, found this http://www.instructables.com/id/10-HP-Hovercraft/ and though there might be some info in there for you.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:21 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
That really gives me a good perspective of how much cheaper basic materials should cost from here on the mainland compared to in the islands.

That model is now on my "to beat" list.

I got more work done on the redesign too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:52 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Return the freebies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
I'm also done dealing with HK. I'm going to a technical school. The needed electronics should be able to be produced in house.
Hmmm, I smell fish...
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:58 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
What?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:38 AM
Deutschland, BW, Friedrichshafen
Joined Dec 2001
867 Posts
Very cool!
regards Martin
MaHö is offline Find More Posts by MaHö
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:36 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Oh I forgot to update you guys. The shop down the road from me has a big 4x8 cnc machine and they said that they would be able to cut out all of the parts! Lego Time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:54 AM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Good to hear
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:40 PM
Michigan
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
A hope for the best

Did you give up? Being so young, I'm thinking a project of this complexity, that your funds a running low. Hope to see you finish.
crappie depot is offline Find More Posts by crappie depot
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crappie depot View Post
Did you give up?
Hell No! I got a team again, and a much more advanced version. I'm just waiting for space. It will be starting this semester for sure.
RCG Plus Member