SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:12 AM
Joined Dec 2011
35 Posts
Why is my 306B displaying 2A on the screen during a balance charge? It's on a S-350-24. That's 24V 14.6A. I don't see where to raise the Amperage. Nothing's warm and It's all black to black. Says 7.99V also. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Hold down the start button to change the voltage
Satyrisci is offline Find More Posts by Satyrisci
Last edited by Satyrisci; Jan 16, 2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: found it
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:56 AM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
I guess that chargers go up in power to a certain point where they stop being AC/DC capable and require a seperate power supply. That looks to be a disadvantage to me. How capable can you go and still stay AC/DC? Suggestions on specific higher end AC/DC models?
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Sep 2009
60 Posts
I've read this entire thread, including the post from the teacher about the different ways people learn. I agree with that to a point. However, one of the things you also become aware of as a student of life is that a learner needs to *learn* how to be adaptable. While you may have a single preferred learning style, circumstances will not always allow its use. I'm not convinced that always catering to a specific learning style isn't a disservice to the student.

I certainly don't mind helping a noob. OTOH, I'm less likely to take the time when it's obvious that the poster himself has invested little or no time investigating on his own. How many times have we all read a question from a noob who, if he'd even taken the time to read the entire thread, would have found the answer posted 5 times already? Sometimes as recently as the previous page? What do you do with a noob who doesn't understand the difference between volts and amps? Where do you begin?

Yeah, the internet is a tremendous resource. But it's also given rise to a class of persons who always seem to have their hands out. Whose preferred "learning style" is to have the answers tied up in a bow and dropped neatly into their laps with minimal time investment on their part. I've run across some of these guys later doling out their "expertise" along with an equal dose of half-truths simply because they lack sufficient knowledge to realize that their specific kernel of information doesn't apply to every situation. Now what? How do you limit the proliferation of misinformation dispensed by those who don't know what they don't know?

Personally, for me posting questions is a last resort when I've been unable to find the answers on my own. Frankly, I enjoy the research because in the process I always discover additional information that provides greater background understanding. Maybe you'd call this "learning how to teach yourself."

Here's an example: Right now I'm trying to learn more about lipo charge rates. I've always charged at 1C. I realize that certain batteries will tolerate much more than that. What I'm wondering is whether the allowable charge rate for an ordinary lipo has increased as lipo technology has improved over the last 5 or so years? Specifically, could I be using 2C?

If I can't find the answer, I might very well end up back here posting the question. But for now the search is on, and I certainly do not expect to be spoon-fed easy answers.

Regards,

MT
Midnite Tweeke is offline Find More Posts by Midnite Tweeke
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:06 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
RCGroups is a wonderful place to find good information and helpful folks that will keep newbies and each other going in the right direction. I have been here for a few years, and have done my share of answering questions that have been asked many times before. I try to be helpful and encouraging. Others have answered my questions in a like manner. This thread seems to be the bad apple in the barrel when it comes to being helpful to others. I will leave the question that I posted earlier and hope that someone that does not have the personality of a scalded cat will answer it.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Tweeke View Post
I've read this entire thread, including the post from the teacher about the different ways people learn. I agree with that to a point. However, one of the things you also become aware of as a student of life is that a learner needs to *learn* how to be adaptable. While you may have a single preferred learning style, circumstances will not always allow its use. I'm not convinced that always catering to a specific learning style isn't a disservice to the student.

I certainly don't mind helping a noob. OTOH, I'm less likely to take the time when it's obvious that the poster himself has invested little or no time investigating on his own. How many times have we all read a question from a noob who, if he'd even taken the time to read the entire thread, would have found the answer posted 5 times already? Sometimes as recently as the previous page? What do you do with a noob who doesn't understand the difference between volts and amps? Where do you begin?

Yeah, the internet is a tremendous resource. But it's also given rise to a class of persons who always seem to have their hands out. Whose preferred "learning style" is to have the answers tied up in a bow and dropped neatly into their laps with minimal time investment on their part. I've run across some of these guys later doling out their "expertise" along with an equal dose of half-truths simply because they lack sufficient knowledge to realize that their specific kernel of information doesn't apply to every situation. Now what? How do you limit the proliferation of misinformation dispensed by those who don't know what they don't know?

Personally, for me posting questions is a last resort when I've been unable to find the answers on my own. Frankly, I enjoy the research because in the process I always discover additional information that provides greater background understanding. Maybe you'd call this "learning how to teach yourself."

Here's an example: Right now I'm trying to learn more about lipo charge rates. I've always charged at 1C. I realize that certain batteries will tolerate much more than that. What I'm wondering is whether the allowable charge rate for an ordinary lipo has increased as lipo technology has improved over the last 5 or so years? Specifically, could I be using 2C?

If I can't find the answer, I might very well end up back here posting the question. But for now the search is on, and I certainly do not expect to be spoon-fed easy answers.

Regards,

MT
Big deal if some questions are asked 5 times in a certain thread? Some people don't have the time to read through 100's of pages of postings.

Are you that wound up that multiple questions in a thread disturbes you? If so, they have prescription drugs for that.

Ease off.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2009
60 Posts
Scarface,

The lack of a built-in AC power supply might be considered a disadvantage. OTOH, another way of looking at it is that what makes a charger unique will probably be the features of the charger itself, not the built-in DC power supply. Exaggerating a bit, but a power supply is a power supply is a power-supply.

As battery and charger technology gets more sophisticated, having a separate power supply allows you to upgrade only the charger without paying for another built-in PS. In the long run, you save money.

Another thread discusses how to modify a used network server power supply for use as a charger supply. Given the purpose for which these were designed, they are extremely rugged, reliable, high quality units. You can buy the used unit for $10 on eBay, fer cryin' out loud. The mods involve easy soldering & a few bucks worth of parts. For $20 or so you end up with a high quality 12 VDC 400 watt 32 amp PS. Take the money you just saved & put it towards a better charger.

At least, that's what I'm doing.

MT
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Sep 2009
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Some people don't have the time to read through 100's of pages of postings.

Are you that wound up that multiple questions in a thread disturbes you? If so, they have prescription drugs for that.

Ease off.
Some people make time to read the posts. And some people go through life with their hands out. I've got a good idea which you are.

Thanks for your free advice. It's worth exactly what I paid for it.

MT
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Tweeke View Post
Some people make time to read the posts. And some people go through life with their hands out. I've got a good idea which you are.

Thanks for your free advice. It's worth exactly what I paid for it.

MT
Some people CAN'T make the time. Like people with full time jobs and families.
I guess you're either unemployed or retired? My guess is unemployed.
This is supposed to be an enjoyable past time, nobody on this forum needs a foolish rant like your's.
Don't skip your meds next time.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:07 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
MT - Thanx for your answer. It makes a bit more sense now. Look - even a person wandering through a maze looking for the piece of cheese appreciates an occasional signpost or directional arrow. Imagine wandering around a town looking for a certain store. You will eventually find it, but it is much faster just to ask for directions. There's nothing wrong with asking, or with giving out an answer.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Sep 2009
60 Posts
Scar,

Nothing wrong with asking questions.

My issue is with those who don't bother to look for previous answers. Doesn't it seem fair that someone asking a question should at least put forth an effort to find an answer on their own equivalent to the time someone else will spend answering it? Is one person's time more valuable than the other's?

Regards,

MT
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:15 AM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
Why are you assuming that they all haven't? This thread is not well laid out. Look at the Supercub thread in the Beginners section. It goes for thousands of pages over a period of years. I wish I had a dollar for every time a newbie has asked in the beginner section "What is the best plane to start out with"? Yet folks still answer that question patiently without flaming those just starting out. BTW, answers will change over time. Nuff said on this issue.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
Wow I was looking to buy a charger... I am making the move from Nitro to Electric... I figured Id skip to the last page because technology changes, as do products (I dont need to read reviews from 1992 about a charger that can charge the Energizers in the plane I got for 8th grade graduation, My Walkman and my Pager too) but all I see is someone BENT over people not using the correct thread viewing procedures in accordance with question asking.... I guess ill read the other 6 pages instead of saving the baby seal tangled in fishing line and plastic 6pack can holders trapped in an asbestos factory down the street.
jwoz is offline Find More Posts by jwoz
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:56 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Seriously MT? You would rather have someone stay out of the hobby because they don't have time to read every thread on Lipos, chargers, planes, TX's, RX's, settings, tips, repairs, prop selection, motor/esc/plane matching, and a whole host of other stuff?

That is not progress, that is "It took me so long to learn it, that I don't think it's fair others get to learn it quicker from me".

Sorry, that mindset...Especially in a hobby...just frustrates me. Mean no offense, just hoping you'll think that through. This is a hobby, a thing for enjoyment, we are not trying to figure out how to stay on unemployment, get food stamps, free medical, etc...Or maybe some of us here are. But none of that is why we are here.

I don't care how long it took me to learn or find a piece of info I wanted...I'll gladly share it a 1000 times over if it saves some one else in the hobby a little time and allows them more time behind the sticks.

This thread about finding a charger only has 7 pages after how long? Can you figure out why?

Saty, there is only so much amperage that you can safely run for charging off of a 12v system Has to do with OHM's law. The AC part is actually just taking 120v and stepping it down to 12v. 12v is used on most chargers so that they can be run off of car batteries, but some are made to run 24v or higher in order to allow for higher amperage charging. In this case two PC power supplies can be combined to turn 120v in to 24v, or two 12v batteries can be wired together in series to provide 24v.

I hear you JWOZ...And it's frustrating that this thread somehow deserved a sticky! FAIL imho...
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
LOL storm ... Its ok most everyone here seems to be cool, just like in any other aspect of life there are going to be be differences in views, etc. That aside here is my question(s)...

Ok, Im switching to elect. from nitro.... I'm guessing I will want an AC/DC charger. I don't really want to charge off my car battery all the time right? Will charging off my car battery all the time jack up my car batt? Id rather be able to charge at my house on AC then if I go out to the field I can charge off my car... Or can I charge off the Hobbico TorqMaster LC 12V 7Amp Battery I have???
jwoz is offline Find More Posts by jwoz
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:37 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
You're going to electric from nitro, so I'm guessing you'll have some planes with a little size. If you are planning on getting batteries that can charge at 5c, then you will want a decent charger. What most people do is just buy a normal power supply to step 120 down to 12V. That pretty much puts a max charge rate of 20 amps out there. If you have a 5000mah pack, 5c charge rate would be 25amps. You see the problem?

Personally, I like getting decent lipos that can fast charge so I end up spending the same money on fewer batteries, but I can charge them faster. I have a multicharger x4...Charges 4 batteries at once, max of 6 amp charge on any of the four battery channels. It isn't enough to even get close to 5c on anything except very small packs.

What I am planning to do...I have access to a couple of old PC power supplies and I'm going to build a 24v power supply for home use. I also plan on building up a battery pack...Two 12v high cranking amp batteries in series for use at the field. I think I'll end up with the Hyperion EOS 720i Super Dou (can charge two packs at once). Thunder power also makes some nice high amp chargers. I already have a 12v power supply at the house, so I'll get the charger initially and then add the rest over time. Think the 720i can charge at 20amps on 12v, and 30amps on 24v. There's a Thunder Power (I think) that can do 40amps at 24v.

I've had the Multicharger x4 (Hitech) for about a year, and it works pretty well, but I really wish I had gone ahead and gotten a Hyperion or Thunder Power for a few extra bucks initially.

I don't think the 7amps will be enough to run most chargers, so not sure how well that battery you have would work. Most chargers will give you a amps in spec in the spec charts.

That help any? Good batteries vs Cheap batteries; understanding charging, charges, and what you really need in the long run...It's a messy deal to try and sort out
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie