SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 17, 2011, 10:31 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2010
163 Posts
posting questions in RC Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellwalker View Post
People that take the mick out of dumb questions want to think back to the time they were asking dumb questions .
RC Flyer43, Hog Pen,

Thank you for your post. I appreciate what you are trying to do. I too think it is odd to find such sarcastic, belittling and disrespectful comments towards people asking for help about a "hobby".

The responders as BBoice points out are volunteers, not paid, so... if the questions bothers you... don't respond! I guess it is a sign of our times. People are irritated with everything nowadays and need somewhere to vent.

These people have found a safe place to make themselves feel taller by pointing out how desparately low someone else is for not understanding what they do! They are saying, "Look at me.. I know so much more than you.. I'm smarter, better, know all about search engines and battery chargers and you.. you know nothing..hmmph"

Commical isn't it. If you don't like the TV Station you are watching you have evey right to change the channel. If you don't like the question asked. Don't answer it, but don't try to assume that anyone who ask a question is game to be your personal punching bag, so that you can point out how much better you are and boost your own ego.

What I think would be better served here is a forum for the overly experienced sarcastic super ego chaps, specifically designed to allow them to kick the hell out of each other for any and all gaffs, and mistakes of anykind.

On this site I've seen people berated for punctuation and grammar, not to mention, just for being new and lacking knowledge.

I think they should just hang out on their own forum, kick each others a... and leave everyone else alone..
maq007 is offline Find More Posts by maq007
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2011, 11:05 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
I think it would send a broader message if someone posted the "noob" question(s), and nobody responded....forcing the :noob" to search. I do agree that our society view of expediency has morphed into that of a newborn...where gratification must be immediate, and obtained with minimal effort. I see it daily in the middle school classroom in which a teach. It irritates me...and others. But, we are on a public forum, and members of a hobby community, so perhaps it is best to help when we can, and remain silent when we wish not to.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old May 17, 2011, 12:04 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Sometimes I think the anonymity of internet allows a persons true character to come out and it is not always a good thing unfortunately.
RCFlyer43 is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyer43
Last edited by RCFlyer43; May 17, 2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Too much use of the word "sometimes"..lol
Old May 17, 2011, 01:01 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
I think it would send a broader message if someone posted the "noob" question(s), and nobody responded....forcing the :noob" to search. I do agree that our society view of expediency has morphed into that of a newborn...where gratification must be immediate, and obtained with minimal effort. I see it daily in the middle school classroom in which a teach. It irritates me...and others. But, we are on a public forum, and members of a hobby community, so perhaps it is best to help when we can, and remain silent when we wish not to.
Or are you just becaused now people have the opportunity to build twice the knowledge base in 1/4 the time it took you simply because there are friendly people willing to answer question?

How much information do I have to read to find a specific answer to a specific question? And how many questions will I have as a newb? I could spend a year reading, searching, looking for info and never touch the sticks...OR with the help of many of the folks on these forums, local fly folks, searching, reading, etc; I could be spending more time flying and less time stuck behind a book or computer screen scratching my head.

The point is, and not only in this hobby, that the available information today far out weighs what it was 10, 20, & 30 years ago. The learning process has to adapt to that much larger information base. Not only is there more information in general, but technology is changing at an extremely rapid pace so there is always something new to learn.

So for all the newbs out there, or old hands learning something new...Fire away with the questions. I don't care if I answered it 100 times for others, I'll do it again if I happen to have the answer...And I also don't care if it took me 20hrs to find the answer and now you are getting it in 5 min. I just consider that continuous improvement.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old May 17, 2011, 04:27 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Or are you just becaused now people have the opportunity to build twice the knowledge base in 1/4 the time it took you simply because there are friendly people willing to answer question?

In short, no. I just started in the hobby about 6 months ago...still in the beginning part of the learning curve.

Quote:
How much information do I have to read to find a specific answer to a specific question? And how many questions will I have as a newb? I could spend a year reading, searching, looking for info and never touch the sticks...OR with the help of many of the folks on these forums, local fly folks, searching, reading, etc; I could be spending more time flying and less time stuck behind a book or computer screen scratching my head.

Totally agree, and somewhat of a truncated version of my original post..well put. (1st page, 5th post)

Quote:
The point is, and not only in this hobby, that the available information today far out weighs what it was 10, 20, & 30 years ago. The learning process has to adapt to that much larger information base. Not only is there more information in general, but technology is changing at an extremely rapid pace so there is always something new to learn.

So for all the newbs out there, or old hands learning something new...Fire away with the questions. I don't care if I answered it 100 times for others, I'll do it again if I happen to have the answer...And I also don't care if it took me 20hrs to find the answer and now you are getting it in 5 min. I just consider that continuous improvement.
Agreed...if a neat little short cut, or info can save someone else from 20 hours to figure it out...I too would share it in a heart beat!
Last edited by The Hog Pen; May 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:10 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2010
163 Posts
Very nice thread, very interesting. The real reason I was drawn to this hobby was the friendliness and helpful people I meet. Only a few differ and i try not to let them alter my eagerness or willingness to learn.

I will say however, that I will try to find threads already written on the subject with more vigor then previously. Many times I have not found the search engine of much help. Sometimes, I just don't get the answer I need and have to ask again a little differently to make my question more clear.

It's not as though there is some premer of RC Modeling or encyclopedia of sorts that answers any and all questions.
maq007 is offline Find More Posts by maq007
Last edited by maq007; May 18, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old May 22, 2011, 06:24 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post

Ok, that's it for the "which charger should I get" type threads for the last 2 months.
FINALLY - after years of different chargers, all which were "adequate" in many ways but always lacking in others, I finally discovered "charger nirvana" and "power supply nirvana"

If anyone is going to be in this for the long run, just bite the bullet, get it right from the beginning, save yourself time, save money, avoid frustration and you'll never regret using the best quality and achieving phenomenal, consistent results. If you outgrow this system, you're going to have a really great problem on your hands.

Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old May 22, 2011, 06:54 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Man View Post
FINALLY - after years of different chargers, all which were "adequate" in many ways but always lacking in others, I finally discovered "charger nirvana" ....
Yep one of these days I will have one of those, but at the price of a plane or even two I will have to wait.
RCFlyer43 is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyer43
Old May 24, 2011, 06:13 PM
Canada, NB, Southfield
Joined Mar 2008
160 Posts
Yes that is one awesome charger and power supply. I will be looking to buy the exact same setup for my 6S batteries once I have enough money saved up. Where did you get those power supplies done up like that Buzz_Man?
fu-corsair is offline Find More Posts by fu-corsair
Last edited by fu-corsair; May 24, 2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old May 24, 2011, 09:43 PM
USA, NY, Shirley
Joined Sep 2007
663 Posts
I just edited this entire post. Will post again later, sorry for the inconvenience...
paulski is offline Find More Posts by paulski
Old May 25, 2011, 12:46 PM
USA, NY, Shirley
Joined Sep 2007
663 Posts
OK, I'm back to finish. This thread should be removed form Sticky status. It's useless at this point. I've read it a few times, not easy to do and keep your sanity. I found nothing useful for my questions (which I held because I didn't want to be referred to this thread) after looking through all of the links. The closest thing I saw to an actual answer to the posters question was an occasional yes I agree, or no don't buy that one.

The only thing being discussed in this thread is etiquette.

Sadly, now I am stuck with having a question that I'm certain will not be answered. The market place is full of chargers and it becomes overwhelming. Many do what they say, many do not. As with most of us, I am not rich and cannot afford or justify a $150 or greater charger to charge my Turnigy batteries, so the ones I am looking at must be cheaper.
Does anyone know of an AC/DC charger/discharger/balancer that costs under $90 that they can recommend from first hand use that I can charge my 2-6 cell Lipo's with?
paulski is offline Find More Posts by paulski
Old May 25, 2011, 02:55 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulski View Post
OK, I'm back to finish. This thread should be removed form Sticky status. It's useless at this point. I've read it a few times, not easy to do and keep your sanity. I found nothing useful for my questions (which I held because I didn't want to be referred to this thread) after looking through all of the links. The closest thing I saw to an actual answer to the posters question was an occasional yes I agree, or no don't buy that one.

The only thing being discussed in this thread is etiquette.

Sadly, now I am stuck with having a question that I'm certain will not be answered. The market place is full of chargers and it becomes overwhelming. Many do what they say, many do not. As with most of us, I am not rich and cannot afford or justify a $150 or greater charger to charge my Turnigy batteries, so the ones I am looking at must be cheaper.
Does anyone know of an AC/DC charger/discharger/balancer that costs under $90 that they can recommend from first hand use that I can charge my 2-6 cell Lipo's with?
The Accucel-6 is about 30 bucks after shipping...multi chem, balances great, and so easy to use, even I can use it. It is designed with the noob in mind, with redundant safety features. Hobbyking has them...may as well pick up a few more batts, connectors, servos, etc., too...lol

Oops...I meant...TRY DOING A LITTLE RESEARCH FOR YOURSELF BLAH BLAH BLAH...

Old May 25, 2011, 09:55 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulski View Post
ok, i'm back to finish. This thread should be removed form sticky status. It's useless at this point. I've read it a few times, not easy to do and keep your sanity.
+1
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:54 AM
President @ Acadian RC Club
Lafayette, Louisiana
Joined Dec 2005
1,242 Posts
Really like the way this one is looking. What do you all think? I have the Great Planes Lipoly 4 Charger currently.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16374
jonathan7x70 is offline Find More Posts by jonathan7x70
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:09 PM
United States, VT, Strafford
Joined Jun 2011
11 Posts
Hyperion EOS 1420iNET3

I am considering purchasing this charger and was wondering if anyone can give me any imput on it. also, does anyone know how it can be powered? Or better yet what size PS it needs?
HMS Images is offline Find More Posts by HMS Images