SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:09 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Correct Steve, the supplied adapters are in case you have some sort of weird pin configuration with batteries like the Thunder Powers (closer or further spacing on pins). I charge all of my batteries using the balance ports on the charger since they all have the standard pin spacing.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:14 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,835 Posts
Thanks Junkie. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure. I use the supplied adapters for my TP Liops, but others, I can plug right in.

About time someone made a multi charger of this quality. I bought it on E-bay along with an AC power supply for about $190.
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:56 PM
expert noob
Joined Feb 2011
108 Posts
I originally was going to update my review on the supermate dc6 with some negative notes about it's balancing ability, but later found that it was my fault, and i had caused a short in the external balance board (glad it's external!!) and I just needed to solder in a jumper where I had fried a trace by accidentally slipping while checking voltage across two of the pins while a battery was charging.. I knew it smelled funny, but it didn't read connection break, so I assumed it was just some fried paint, but now I realized the trace was the ground on the balancing lead, which is for cell 1, which was constantly being overcharged after this happened.

Soooo, I just repaired that and tested it for overcharge and now it is balancing correctly and stopping them at 4.2 on the dot.

The only problem I see is that you still can go back and individually charge the cells that are usually ended at about 4.18 or so and add another 100mah to the pack, so all things considered it's certainly a great charger that keeps your batteries within safe working limits and will extend their life when used properly.

I also think it's good to add that I use a lipo buzzer while flying (the $3 shipped hong kong ebay ones), that beeps when any individual cell reaches 3.3v, so that means time to land, and when using these it never lets a cell get below maybe 2.9 or 3v which is considered safe, and usually this is a hot reading, so when the battery cools it will normally recover to 3.3 ish.. Another safeguard that is good to have.
handyfella is offline Find More Posts by handyfella
Last edited by handyfella; Mar 13, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:53 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,896 Posts
deleted
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Last edited by aerosheldon; Mar 27, 2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:29 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Dec 2009
59 Posts
Try a Triton EQ. seems ok 2 me
Burma is offline Find More Posts by Burma
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:18 AM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
If I may make a suggestion?

The basic idea of this thread is a good one, but I can't say I agree with the format. Simple posting an index of "What charger should I buy" and "Which is the best charger?" threads is little different than simply typing "Chargers" into the search box. Sure, it'll give you all the threads specific to chargers, but you still have to read through all the threads to find out what you want to know. May I suggest instead something a little more specific?

How about a list of threads that ask about specific chargers instead (or as well)? This would eventually evolve into a consumer reports thread that people can refer to to quickly find out whether that "Great Charger Deal" they spotted is really that great, or is actually unsweetened lemon juice in disguise.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
So those threads cover LiPo's....

How about a thread that talks about rx/ignition 6v chargers..I've found once charger that will charge nicad, LiPo, and a few others for over 150 bucks..I just need a Li Ion charger..(beats head on desk)

TM
twmonroe is offline Find More Posts by twmonroe
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:21 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Preferences in chargers is subjective and in most respects just an opinion. Of far greater importance when selecting a charger [most known brands are good] is the rep of the supplier. In this regard my vote goes to EPBuddy in the U.S. of A. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:04 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Do I dare suggest a poll?
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:51 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
The basic idea of this thread is a good one, but I can't say I agree with the format. Simple posting an index of "What charger should I buy" and "Which is the best charger?" threads is little different than simply typing "Chargers" into the search box. Sure, it'll give you all the threads specific to chargers, but you still have to read through all the threads to find out what you want to know. May I suggest instead something a little more specific?

How about a list of threads that ask about specific chargers instead (or as well)? This would eventually evolve into a consumer reports thread that people can refer to to quickly find out whether that "Great Charger Deal" they spotted is really that great, or is actually unsweetened lemon juice in disguise.
I think the heart of this thread was created to belittle folks who ask noob questions without putting in a little work themselves. With chargers, it's not that simple...there are too many variables that a noob wouldn't even know what to ask, or search for. It took me weeks of reading, and asking questions, until one of the veterans emailed me personally, and walked me through all the questions I had, and anticipated the questions I didn't know to ask.

I agree that perhaps a section with a few different options, like "New to chargers/charging (basics)" with options..."Intermediate", and "Advanced".

With that, the seasoned members that have grown tired of answering the same questions would know not to click on that section...even though nobody forces anyone to click and reply to anyone. It would also give noobs a place to read about a few basic chargers, like the AC-6 (which I use), and what the functions are, how to use, what you need/don't need as a beginner, etc.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
United States, FL, Ruskin
Joined Sep 2008
323 Posts
[QUOTE=Fly Wheel;16912589]I like the idea of seached thread reference, but is there a way you could post a brief synopsis of each thread's contents? the titles can be somewhat vague, and most people are not going to systematicaly go through all of them to find the answer to their question when they can just post it themselves. Isn't that what this thread is trying to prevent?[/QUOTe

In other words just be too lazy to find out for yourself, Typical of today.
tedmo is offline Find More Posts by tedmo
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:34 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmo View Post
In other words just be too lazy to find out for yourself, Typical of today.
While I will whole-heartedly agree that the "lazy trend" is prevalent these days, we have to keep a few things in mind. Everybody learns things differently. I have students that learn, and internalize material easier if I just give them a book. I have students that have to hear it out loud. I have students that have to see how something works. I have students that wouldn't be able to figure out how to flip a light switch on, until they were guided through doing it themselves. I have students that MUST have some combination of these methods. Telling someone to "go find out for yourself" is akin to that one teacher we all had way back when, that would sit back at his/her desk, and demand not to be bothered. If information was so easily digestible...we wouldn't need teachers in the first place.

I'd be willing to bet that many of the same users that berate noobs for asking broad questions would, themselves, feel the roles reversed if we sat down to discuss how atomic structure as related to perodicity. Or...one of my personal favorites...how the universal laws of physics apply to geological, biological, chemical, cosmological (etc.) phenomena. My students may take in what we are discussing, but often lack the bridges to link concepts in a multidisciplinary fashion. Just imagine taking your neighbor to work with you, and expecting them to figure out exatly what you do by reading your job description. In fact, chances are the vast majority of you went through a training program when you started your job. Companies do this, because they know it it a far more successful approach to have a meaningful discussion, than to say, "Welcome to your new job...go figure it out."
Old May 05, 2011, 10:43 AM
USA, OH, Beavercreek
Joined Jun 2008
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
While I will whole-heartedly agree that the "lazy trend" is prevalent these days, we have to keep a few things in mind. Everybody learns things differently. I have students that learn, and internalize material easier if I just give them a book. I have students that have to hear it out loud. I have students that have to see how something works. I have students that wouldn't be able to figure out how to flip a light switch on, until they were guided through doing it themselves. I have students that MUST have some combination of these methods. Telling someone to "go find out for yourself" is akin to that one teacher we all had way back when, that would sit back at his/her desk, and demand not to be bothered. If information was so easily digestible...we wouldn't need teachers in the first place.

I'd be willing to bet that many of the same users that berate noobs for asking broad questions would, themselves, feel the roles reversed if we sat down to discuss how atomic structure as related to perodicity. Or...one of my personal favorites...how the universal laws of physics apply to geological, biological, chemical, cosmological (etc.) phenomena. My students may take in what we are discussing, but often lack the bridges to link concepts in a multidisciplinary fashion. Just imagine taking your neighbor to work with you, and expecting them to figure out exatly what you do by reading your job description. In fact, chances are the vast majority of you went through a training program when you started your job. Companies do this, because they know it it a far more successful approach to have a meaningful discussion, than to say, "Welcome to your new job...go figure it out."

I have to say that most of what you said is valid. With that in mind I would like to share my personal experience here on RCG. I found this place by searching on the internet for questions I had about rc hobbies in general. I can't remember if it was cars or planes at the time. The fact was when I googled ANYTHING about rc, this site came up w/ many threads and was ALWAYS on top. I lurked for a LONG time before making any posts. I do not post often but I read a TON. I have learned so much from the people on here. I have to agree that the search tool is and should be your best friend.

You have stated that you searched and read and then ask ?s after you got confused or needed clarification on a subject, specific charger, what have you. This is all that most of the people on these forums want. There are tons of people here that are willing to give up their time and help people out, but they sometimes get tired of answering the same question 2 or 3 times a week. In essence they are wasting their time that could be better spent helping someone who may really need it.

If you think that there should be a basics, intermediate, and advanced tutorial section perhaps you could use some of the knowledge that you have and create/help create one. Most stickies in forums start out as a general post and then alot of people find it helpful and it then becomes a sticky based upon request. Perhaps you could use some of your teaching skills and make a better format for this topic.

I am not trying to flame you at all! I am just giving a bit of a different perspective.

With all that out there, if someone truly is new and needs some info there is a great beginners area. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739069 on this page there are the basics for just about everything that you need to know. Once you understand all of this stuff, you can then make smarter, more informed decisions about many different topics.

So basically what I am trying to say is give these guys a bit of slack, they are not getting paid to do this (like your teaching). I appreciate any and all work that they do for us fellow hobby enthusiasts.
BBoice is offline Find More Posts by BBoice
Old May 05, 2011, 11:06 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
I know you're not flaming...it's all good. I also agree that I can't stand it when someone throws out a question that is rather straight forward, and can easily be answered with minimal effort.

Although not "charger" related, my latest question after last night's watt-meter session is the kind of question that fits into the category I, and I think you, are describing.

Scenario: I hook up a PZ480BL w/ 10x8 4 blade, to a 25a ESC, and into my new watt meter. I get a peak of about 250w/21a, before it starts to fall. I can run it around 200ish watts/19a with no drop. I did some research, and although didn't find an exact watt limit to safely run the motor, I have found people's test numbers. It looks like 200 watts is a safe level, based on what I've read. The setup felt plenty-thrusty. So now, I'm wondering why am I not supposed to run the 4-blade?

I'm not even sure what to ask in this situation.

I didn't post that for an answer...just an example.

Thanks
Old May 16, 2011, 01:01 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
OK...after spending a few days, and countless hours reading, and re-reading all but a few of the threads on this "list of shame"...I have to ask...

How is belittling someone asking for help useful to a noob, and how does it promote the R/C community? How will "Castigating the offenders..." foster a positive learning environment, and enrich a newcomer's R/C experience?
Amen! or Here Here!

I have mostly been on the Wattflyer board and for the most part it is very helpful and I often look at this board as well but don't post as much. Recently just asked about parallel charging and what people thought of it and the very first reply is "the search function is a wonderful thing" ... Well thank you very much for not wanting to talk about it, frankly you didn't have to answer at all I guess. I will say he did post the link to a thread that had tons of information on the subject and I was truly thankful for that. It is hard to tell "tone" on here but my initial feeling was that this was not a very friendly board to newbies. Just an observation, other threads on this board are quite different so maybe it is just the subject.

But if you see someone like me who has posted less than a dozen times on here then have a little courtesy please. We are on here just trying to learn ourselves what you may have years experience knowing. If you don't want to talk about fine, don't reply or just say something like "This has been discussed much on this board and here is a thread on it...personally I think ...."
RCFlyer43 is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyer43