HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:35 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
Having said that, don't charge at max C just because they are rated for it. For the same reason you don't redline your car. IMHO things will likely last a little longer if not run at the limits.

I charge at 1C unless I'm waiting on a battery at the field, then I charge at max C.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:37 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Probably a stupid question but does it matter what the actuall number is? Meaning, I have a 3200 mah battery that says 3-5c charge. At 3c I'm charging at 9.6amp, but my charger maxes out at 8, so should I charge at 2c instead(6.4a), or is 8a ok?
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:29 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
Probably a stupid question but does it matter what the actuall number is? Meaning, I have a 3200 mah battery that says 3-5c charge. At 3c I'm charging at 9.6amp, but my charger maxes out at 8, so should I charge at 2c instead(6.4a), or is 8a ok?
yah it dun matter. your charger should max out its power and never reach the limits of the battery anyway
REVOJohn is offline Find More Posts by REVOJohn
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
3 - 5C charge just means that's the maximium recommended. There's no harm in charging at any speed below this.

Actually it's better for the batt to charge a little slower. The only downside is the time it takes.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:40 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
I have a 3200 4s battery that is 3 to 5 c, but at 8amps max I'm not even at 3c. I'd need a charger that charges at 16amps. I don't think I've seen any chargers that charge at that amperage. Do people just not charge bigger batteries at faster rates? Im still just learning about chargers but am I missing something?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:58 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,479 Posts
Quote:
I have a 3200 4s battery that is 3 to 5 c, but at 8amps max I'm not even at 3c. I'd need a charger that charges at 16amps. I don't think I've seen any chargers that charge at that amperage. Do people just not charge bigger batteries at faster rates? Im still just learning about chargers but am I missing something?
I have an iCharger 3010b that can easily charge 4s at 30 amps. Pretty good charger so far (it's still pretty new).
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:29 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
From an ac plug?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:38 AM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,479 Posts
No, you have to buy an DC power supply, or you can run it from batteries at the field and leave the power supply at home.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:17 AM
3JJ
Finland, Northern Ostrobothnia, Oulu
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Chargers are very limited when AC powered. And the reason is simple. Just see the local shop what a 40A power supply costs. This would cause the charger to cost more than double the money, and all of customers do not need such high capabilities. So the chargers have a very limited AC powered charging capabilities, and to get full current output, you need either an external power supply that fills your needs for power, or battery power. You need two devices, but you save lots of money if you settle for 20A power supply or even live with the internal power supply, instead of 40A or more. This way do not not have to pay huge amounts of money for the extra and costly capacity you never need.
3JJ is offline Find More Posts by 3JJ
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
Thanks for your valuable information sharing with us..
صورة سيارة

صورة سيارة

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
This thread should be self explainatory.

If you ask for charger recommendations in this thread, I can not guarantee your safety. Castigating the offenders is not only allowed, its encouraged.

12/17/10 LiPo Charger Suggestion?

12/16/10 Help! Need a charger!

12/05/10 What is a good lipo charger

12/12/10 This charger, or this one

12/04/10 Which battery charger?

12/10/10 Need help on figuring size of chrager

12/08/10 What do I need to chare Hyperion batteries in 10-12 min. ?

11/26/10 Suggestions for charging 6-cell 5000mAh Lipos?

12/07/10 Charging 2, 3 Cell Lipos at the same time

12/01/10 What charger should I buy for my heli?

The list so far is just for this month. The list will be updated as needed. If I miss a new thread, please send me a PM and I'll update the list.

KC

11/30/10 Multi Port Balance Chargers

11/30/10 mAh logging on modern chargers

11/30/10 Need a charger for my nitro heli batteries

11/24/10 Whats the poop on Turnagy Chargers?

11/24/10 Imax b8

11/18/10 200 watt Lipo Chargers? any good ones out there?

11/23/10 I need a recommended charger for LiPo

10/28/10 Looking for a Good Charger for 6S 5000mah

11/19/10 Which Charger?

11/19/10 Question on chargers

11/19/10 Simple, Cheap LIPO Balancing Charger

11/19/10 I would like a charger that...

10/23/10 Recommended Balancing Charger?

11/19/10 best balancing charger...

11/07/10 Best charger for 3c to 6c lipo

11/07/10 Best charger?

10/28/10 Charger - Just starting out flexibility

11/06/10 DC Lipo charger choosing

11/03/10 A good charger for my 6S packs?

11/05/10 Need 4s and a charger

10/31/10 Nice 1st charger?

Ok, that's it for the "which charger should I get" type threads for the last 2 months.

After checking the above threads, if you still feel the need to start a new thread, please do so, but PLEASE, use the search function first.

KC
markhenry22 is offline Find More Posts by markhenry22
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:26 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJ View Post
Chargers are very limited when AC powered. And the reason is simple. Just see the local shop what a 40A power supply costs. This would cause the charger to cost more than double the money, and all of customers do not need such high capabilities. So the chargers have a very limited AC powered charging capabilities, and to get full current output, you need either an external power supply that fills your needs for power, or battery power. You need two devices, but you save lots of money if you settle for 20A power supply or even live with the internal power supply, instead of 40A or more. This way do not not have to pay huge amounts of money for the extra and costly capacity you never need.
just guaging interest......what if there was a 1500W charger in a case that could give you AC input + DC input for the field and give you full power. That is like a portable charge station for home & field? Interesting??
REVOJohn is offline Find More Posts by REVOJohn
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:39 AM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVOJohn View Post
just guaging interest......what if there was a 1500W charger in a case that could give you AC input + DC input for the field and give you full power. That is like a portable charge station for home & field? Interesting??
Would be very interesting, especially if the price is good.
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:23 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVOJohn View Post
It would be large, expensive, and only attractive to people who don't already have a power supply. It could work, though youd either be building them in your garage, or you'd be competing against the Chinese who seem to be able to design these things pretty well. And you'd need some pretty good business insurance even if you did a good job designing it.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:30 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJ View Post
ok I see, so instead of buying a crazy high ac amp charger, you buy a cheaper dc charger that can do high amps, and then you get a power supply from costco or somewhere that is used to power computers, and then just plug into that?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:58 AM
3JJ
Finland, Northern Ostrobothnia, Oulu
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
ok I see, so instead of buying a crazy high ac amp charger, you buy a cheaper dc charger that can do high amps, and then you get a power supply from costco or somewhere that is used to power computers, and then just plug into that?
That is the only way. Currently the biggest built-in AC power supply I have seen is in Graupner Ultra Duo Plus 60, and it is only 120W shared with both charge outputs.

To get high amps out, select a charger that takes high volts in. The input of the charger should accept something like up to 24 volts. (They usually also work with 12V battery, so that is 12-24V input.) Then have an external power supply that gives you 24 volts and the amps you need. This will make it easier for the external power supply, because the amps needed in 24V is only a half what is needed in 12V for example. Smaller amp power supplies are cheaper for the same power, even when the voltage needs to bigger to deliver the same power. Also note that some high current chargers need higher voltage (like 24V) input to be able to deliver very high amps to the battery pack, and with 12V input the charging power may be limited. As you can see in the example below.

Here is one combo capable of charging 4S (16.8V max) packs at 16A, but only a very very small margin. The charger is capable of 350W, that would be 20.8A @ 16.8V, but only when input voltage is more than 18V! The supply that comes with the package only gives 15V, which limits the charging power to ~270W. (Page 10 in charger manual). That is 16.07A @ 16.8V for full 4S pack, and just barely enough.

http://www.progressiverc.com/the-ticket-350w-combo.html
3JJ is offline Find More Posts by 3JJ