HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:35 PM View Post
AshbyDavid
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. Show it to me anyway.
Old May 08, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
I don't know anything about rc. I want to buy a server power supply with enough power to charge 4 lipos of whatever cell/rating I choose to buy as fast as lipos are able to be charged.

please help with suggestions, thanks
toat is offline Find More Posts by toat
Old May 09, 2012, 02:18 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toat View Post
I don't know anything about rc. I want to buy a server power supply with enough power to charge 4 lipos of whatever cell/rating I choose to buy as fast as lipos are able to be charged.

please help with suggestions, thanks
Give REVOLECTRIX USA or Singapore a call and we'll walk you though a good set-up
REVOJohn is offline Find More Posts by REVOJohn
Site Sponsor
Old May 09, 2012, 03:27 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
Here's what I'd like to know.

I saw a video from RCModelReviews a few months back where he took some chargers apart. He specifically pointed out how one charger had the hardware to charge each cell, individually. The other charger could only charge all cells at once, then drain individual cells to balance them.

The second type of charger could take a long time charging, draining, charging, draining to get the battery fully charged and balanced.

Without taking chargers apart, how do I know what I'm buying?
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old May 10, 2012, 12:39 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Here's what I'd like to know.

I saw a video from RCModelReviews a few months back where he took some chargers apart. He specifically pointed out how one charger had the hardware to charge each cell, individually. The other charger could only charge all cells at once, then drain individual cells to balance them.

The second type of charger could take a long time charging, draining, charging, draining to get the battery fully charged and balanced.

Without taking chargers apart, how do I know what I'm buying?
Quick way:......... if you can charge from the balancing port only, like you can on the CellPRO, PowerLab, then you can see the internal circuitry allows you to charge truely via the individual channels. ACTIVE CHARGE;
If the charger forces you to use the main charge ports + balancing ports then its a Passive charger. So ACTIVE vs PASSIVE balancing
REVOJohn is offline Find More Posts by REVOJohn
Site Sponsor
Old May 10, 2012, 02:11 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
Thank you, Sir!
Old May 13, 2012, 11:55 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
I'm leaning toward the Cellpro 4s Gold. Any thoughts?
Old May 14, 2012, 12:47 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,159 Posts
Quote:
My first LiPo charger. Loved it then and its still in use today. If that wattage fits your charging needs, you might want to also look at the Revolectrix Multi4. It has more expanded presents, includes NiMh and has a lower minimum voltage, good for charging the small UMX cells.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old May 14, 2012, 06:43 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,705 Posts
Quote:
That was my first charger too,i soon grow out of that one so went with the cellpro 10s 260w which can only charge at 3c,not that i charge all my batts at 3c but i have now just about grown out of that one now,because i can't charge discharge my batts like i need to.

So i'm leaning to the Turnigy MEGA 400Wx2 Battery Charger/Discharger (800W) from Hobbyking as that will do everything i need and more,plus it will even charge my car battery if i need it to unlike the cell pros can.
The features/specs speak for it's self so thats my next battery charger and i doubt i'll grow out of this one so quick like i did my others.

Don't get me wrong the cell pros are a really good battery charger and have served me well over the years and they do other models that would suite my needs very well,but after giving them my money a few times i think it's time i gave the Turnigy line up a chance,i've been more than happy with all there other line up of RC parts and so on,plus the price does come into now especially at how things are at the moment.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ger_800W_.html
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Last edited by startazz; May 14, 2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Spelling again. ;-)
Old May 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
So i'm leaning to the Turnigy MEGA 400Wx2 Battery Charger/Discharger (800W) from Hobbyking as that will do everything i need and more,
One thing to be aware of with this charger is its input voltage range is 12v-18v DC. This means that you cannot use two server supplies in series. So you will either need to stick to 12v which will significantly reduce its output, or find an 17v to 18v power supply which can be significantly more expensive than server supplies. HK does carry these supplies, but reviews have not been great and when added to cost of the charger and shipping, you are striking distance to a high end charger.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old May 14, 2012, 03:26 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
That was my first charger too,i soon grow out of that one so went with the cellpro 10s 260w which can only charge at 3c
Are you saying that the cellpro won't let you charge at whatever settings you want? I can't put an 800 mAh battery on there and charge it at 4 amps?
Old May 14, 2012, 04:38 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Are you saying that the cellpro won't let you charge at whatever settings you want? I can't put an 800 mAh battery on there and charge it at 4 amps?
Hi:

I think the OP was saying that the original Cellpro 10s charger could charge his particular batteries at a 3C maximum due to the output wattage it provides while connected to his power supply.

Of course you can adjust any Cellpro charger to a precise manual current setting within the limits of that particular model; and we also offer AUTO rates of 1C, 2C, and 3C which utilize Fuel Gauge technology to continually adjust the charge rate as the charge progresses for the ultimate, simple, plug and play solution.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old May 14, 2012, 09:16 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
Thanks, Tim. Just checkin'. These days, I have a lot of batteries rated at 5C or above. I usually charge them at about 3C, but I sure didn't want to go back to 1C.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
Hi all, total newbie here, I'm looking for some advice on charging 18650 2400mAh li-ion cells.

Can I use Li-po chargers to do this?

My pack is 40 cells, 4p10s, and I have connections from all the cells and I have mixed cells so I guess my pack would be considered unbalanced? I have 11 connections and right now I'm using DSD chargers which work but only output 800ma, so charging takes forever.

Anyway, I have been having trouble finding chargers that can do 10s, so can I use 2 chargers to charge 5s each? I also need to decide on some sort of connector fo my pack as right now I'm using 3 pin XLR's which are heavy and bulky.

Thanks and finally 1C is fine for me. Any recommendations?
tasso del miele is offline Find More Posts by tasso del miele
Old May 23, 2012, 12:47 AM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Dec 2002
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
One thing to be aware of with this charger is its input voltage range is 12v-18v DC. This means that you cannot use two server supplies in series. So you will either need to stick to 12v which will significantly reduce its output, or find an 17v to 18v power supply which can be significantly more expensive than server supplies. HK does carry these supplies, but reviews have not been great and when added to cost of the charger and shipping, you are striking distance to a high end charger.
Here's this review of the same (under a different brand name) charger as the Turnigy Mega 2x400W. The review clearly shows that the charger will not reduce it's power significantly when powered from a 12V supply, or PB battery so to speak. it will output near 400W x2 even from a 12V supply.

http://www.elektromodellflug.de/x-treme-p-2x400w.html
norbique is offline Find More Posts by norbique