HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:45 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,353 Posts
Question
LiPo Charger Suggestion?

I'd like to get a LiPo charger for 1-3S that can balance, charge to partial voltage for long-term LiPo storage, and also readout mA replaced in the LiPo during the charge cycle. This last requirement is so I can set Tx timer accordingly and make adjustments for warm/cold operating temperatures.

Any suggestions for someone on a meager budget?
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:57 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,458 Posts
Have you looked in this thread? It's a sticky at the top of this forum, just 2-3 posts above yours. I'm sure the answer to your question is in that thread. Not trying to be a smarty-pants, just trying to get you the help you're requesting. The guys who maintain these threads do a great job of doing so and keeping them current. Check it out and see if you can find what you're looking for.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:49 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Have you looked in this thread? It's a sticky at the top of this forum, just 2-3 posts above yours. I'm sure the answer to your question is in that thread. Not trying to be a smarty-pants, just trying to get you the help you're requesting. The guys who maintain these threads do a great job of doing so and keeping them current. Check it out and see if you can find what you're looking for.
Thanks Mike. I've been neck deep in the 450 electric heli threads and just came here looking for quick answer. Should have a least did cursory look in the forum before posing question. My bad.

However, in the mini heli threads I've had 30 guys view this same query w/ no replies...
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:57 AM
God of Gravity Poisoning
Joined Nov 2010
336 Posts
I've been happy with my B6AC ($60) it is sold under various brand names (skycharger, Imax, Thundercharger) it can charge up to 6s packs at 50w the balance taps are built into charger so you don't have to worry about losing an external balance board. My Skycharger has a timer function, a thermocouple, storage setting as well a maximum charge setting.
Arkansas Travelr is offline Find More Posts by Arkansas Travelr
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:34 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,102 Posts
I have 2 Thunder AC6 and they work great BUT now knowing what I know I wont be buying a third simply because I have learned the real important numbers you need to know about chargers and they AC6 would not be my next choice.

WATT output are the most important numbers and then if you factor in the WATT per $$$ it and similar chargers are around 1$ per watt when many other more powerfull chargers come in at way lower Watts/$$$
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:55 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Thanks Mike. I've been neck deep in the 450 electric heli threads and just came here looking for quick answer. Should have a least did cursory look in the forum before posing question. My bad.

However, in the mini heli threads I've had 30 guys view this same query w/ no replies...
No worries, just trying to help.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2010, 05:02 PM
God of Gravity Poisoning
Joined Nov 2010
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I have 2 Thunder AC6 and they work great BUT now knowing what I know I wont be buying a third simply because I have learned the real important numbers you need to know about chargers and they AC6 would not be my next choice.

WATT output are the most important numbers and then if you factor in the WATT per $$$ it and similar chargers are around 1$ per watt when many other more powerfull chargers come in at way lower Watts/$$$
I have the impression the OP wanted a cheap smart charger not just cheaper per watt charger. They are only charging a 3s pack the AC6 is more than adequate for this purpose it is nice to have a 100w or 200w charger but they still cost more than $60. Paying less for capacity you don't need isn't saving any money (remember this person is on a budget). I understand your point that over the long run if you stick with the sport a higher capacity charger is more cost effective but I can also understand a budget for Pipers fun fund.

Just for information's sake could you name some of the cheaper per watt chargers for the people who have the budget to spend a little more up front? Maybe Piper could find some in their budget range if you posted some model names and prices?
Arkansas Travelr is offline Find More Posts by Arkansas Travelr
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:29 AM
Joined Sep 2009
270 Posts
Here's nice little charger that I use quite a lot, the Accucel-6. No complaints from me.

Tom

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028
TomBates is offline Find More Posts by TomBates
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:40 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2009
554 Posts
Intelligent AC-6 Lipo Charger Review with charge examples. (14 min 0 sec)

On Sale now http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
hobbypartz is offline Find More Posts by hobbypartz
Old Jun 08, 2011, 08:10 PM
Joined Jul 2010
7 Posts
6s charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Travelr View Post
I have the impression the OP wanted a cheap smart charger not just cheaper per watt charger. They are only charging a 3s pack the AC6 is more than adequate for this purpose it is nice to have a 100w or 200w charger but they still cost more than $60. Paying less for capacity you don't need isn't saving any money (remember this person is on a budget). I understand your point that over the long run if you stick with the sport a higher capacity charger is more cost effective but I can also understand a budget for Pipers fun fund.

Just for information's sake could you name some of the cheaper per watt chargers for the people who have the budget to spend a little more up front? Maybe Piper could find some in their budget range if you posted some model names and prices?
There is a charger http://www.aliexpress.com/store/8004...-rc-model.html which is up to 80watts /6A .It is very nice and good quality. I think you can take this one.
morning glory is offline Find More Posts by morning glory
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:04 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I did, Mike, and it's all greek, to me...
Probably worse than PJ3, I didn't have a budget last year and the first check THIS year had a 40% increase in the tax rate which is REALLY gonna cut into the hobby & experiment funds!

I can read numbers on a page, though.
and all the work someone did is well appreciated.

I'm looking for advice.
Don't really care much about the published specs... some may be misleading, and others may only do it the first time, and then the smoke is let out...

I will never use more than 4 cells.
and I don't mind charging overnight.
Actually, I don't care about AC power... got plenty of batts, pc power supplies and such...

Who has successfully used a downright cheep and reliable balancing charger for 1 - 4 cells that you would recommend???

freechip has AC6's that r great, but he wouldn't necessarily advise them...
WHAT is advised... for cheep and reliable?

Tnx!
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:09 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBates View Post
Here's nice little charger that I use quite a lot, the Accucel-6. No complaints from me.

Tom

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028
+1 on the Accucel-6.

Had mine for over 5+ years with thousands of charges. Bought for $27 shipped from HK, and sold 5+ years later for $20 to a local guy. pretty good investment if you asked me.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:15 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Yup, I would probably go with the Accucel-6 at hk since hpartz didn't have Liz do the review for their offering. :-)
Bruce did a good vid review on the HK Accucel...
It seems HK shipping is always steep for a small or single item, though.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:36 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty case View Post
Yup, I would probably go with the Accucel-6 at hk since hpartz didn't have Liz do the review for their offering. :-)
Bruce did a good vid review on the HK Accucel...
It seems HK shipping is always steep for a small or single item, though.
Actually if you buy from the USA warehouse, shipping is $5.87 and charger is $24, so total is still under $30. Still not a bad deal.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:36 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
You are correct. and it's obviously necessary.
plus another 8%... whew!
price of poker goes up.
such is life...