HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:13 AM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2005
585 Posts
Thanks for the mini review and the comparison Ray, enjoy your new bird!
WBE is online now Find More Posts by WBE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:44 AM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
413 Posts
Issue with depron "wheel pants" and "strut"

After a couple of flying sessions with my new Osiris V2, I noticed an issue and wonder if others have had the same problem and, if so, how they handled it.

I built my plane using the included wheels. As per the instructions, I taped the depron "wheel pants" to the vertical part of the .032" wire that becomes the axle for the wheels. After a few landings, I find that the top of the depron "wheel pant" is ripping away from the depron "strut where the "strut" is glued to the flat carbon fiber landing gear. This seems to happen because the wire flexes on landing causing the "wheel pant" (fastened to the wire) to flex right where it joins the more rigid carbon fiber strut.

Has anyone else had this problem? If I simply cut off the "wheel pants", would this affect the flying characteristics of the plane?

Thanks,

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:54 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
I don't use the wheel pants or leg shrouds on mine, and it flies just fine.

aerolite
aerolite is online now Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:39 AM
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerolite View Post
I don't use the wheel pants or leg shrouds on mine, and it flies just fine.

aerolite
aerolite,

Thanks. I think I will remove the depron leg shrouds and wheel pants for now. I can always cut out new ones and attach them if someone can suggest a way to attach them so they aren't damaged when landing.

By the way, I do "Fly inverted!" as much as possible.

Ray

This afternoon, I watched videos of Andrew Jesky, designer of the Osiris and Osiris V2 flying an Osiris V2 with the wheel pants and leg shrouds on his plane. I do think they look cool. Andrew, if you follow this thread, do you have any suggestions on how to keep the depron landing gear parts from being damaged when landing? Thanks, Ray
Last edited by RayPB; Jul 22, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:29 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
Pant attachment

This bent wire method has worked great for me on all the models I've used it on. The paperclip shape bends gives enough glue area to hold the wheelpant. It works well with depron or epp. My epp Sultimate gets flown exclusively outdoors and I land on dirt or pavement so I wanted real wheels and tires. My Deluxe V3 is mostly flown indoors or occasionally at night outdoors when the wind is calm. I've used this mounting method on many different foam models including my Osiris V1. Some models have had gear leg fairings and some didn't. I do NOT glue the top edge of the gear leg fairing to the fuselage and I always use round carbon rather than flat. Round carbon will flex in any direction. Flat carbon flex is primarily in the fore and aft direction when used as landing gear supports in our models. My models are not flown in competition, so a couple of extra grams isn't a big factor. I use wheels on all of my models so I can have the option of flying off of the pavement where I live when the winds are calm enough.

Cheers

Michael
EnzoFalconi is offline Find More Posts by EnzoFalconi
Last edited by EnzoFalconi; Jul 22, 2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPB View Post
aerolite,

Thanks. I think I will remove the depron leg shrouds and wheel pants for now. I can always cut out new ones and attach them if someone can suggest a way to attach them so they aren't damaged when landing.

By the way, I do "Fly inverted!" as much as possible.

Ray

This afternoon, I watched videos of Andrew Jesky, designer of the Osiris and Osiris V2 flying an Osiris V2 with the wheel pants and leg shrouds on his plane. I do think they look cool. Andrew, if you follow this thread, do you have any suggestions on how to keep the depron landing gear parts from being damaged when landing? Thanks, Ray
Ray, take a look at this post. I demonstrate how to make landing gear, and have some photos on attaching wheel pants, and show a photo of a Fancy Foam yak with shrouds and pants attached using this method.

Dennis R.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...84&postcount=1
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:16 PM
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
413 Posts
Thanks

Dennis, Michael,

Thanks for the help. I have taken the shrouds and wheel pants off my Osiris V2 for the moment. I'll fly it that way for a while. When I get the chance (lots going on at the moment), I'll cut out some new ones and try to attach them using the information you gave.

Do you two have any indoor videos of your flying an Osiris?

Ray
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:42 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPB View Post
Dennis, Michael,

Do you two have any indoor videos of your flying an Osiris?

Ray
Actually I do have a video of me flying the Osiris in competiton, but I'll have to figure out how to edit it out of a 30 minute segment.

I'll work on it.

Dennis R.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:06 AM
leliommarino
United States, MA
Joined Nov 2007
656 Posts
does anyone know how the batts from value hobby are i just boought some for this plane
leliommarino is offline Find More Posts by leliommarino
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:26 AM
Toledo Ohio
Joined Jun 2008
215 Posts
I am using the G-force batterys from value hobby I like them I have some 3s 2200 ,2s350, 2s250 2s 800 , 3s 800, and 4s2650 I think they work really well. Priced right also .
ronmad02 is online now Find More Posts by ronmad02
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:29 AM
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
413 Posts
I flew my Osiris V2 with bare carbon fiber landing gear at the armory this morning. It flew fine without the depron shrouds and wheel pants

A huge fan blowing diagonally across the room did make for interesting air currents.

Ray
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:13 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
One on the way..

I just ordered a 3mm printed kit, Esc, and motor with four Hyperion packs from fancy foam..

I've been flying indoor Depron planes for a few years, but this is my first AJ. F3A plane.. I'm looking forward to some serious warehouse flying this winter!

BTW. Very cool design AJ! I dig the V2!
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:18 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
You'll love it. Flys like a dream.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:25 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
Looks like mike is getting mine shipped out right before vacation..

Thanks Mike.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Dec 15, 2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:59 AM
200 mph club
United States, AZ, Fort Mohave
Joined Mar 2005
869 Posts
More new videos added (12/24/11). See post 1.
r/cmark is offline Find More Posts by r/cmark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FrSky Taranis misc stuff