HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:38 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,142 Posts
A good reason why i like my v120d05 after upgrades, more than the v120d02S after upgrades. Belt drive doesn't need a slipper clutch. Though bob's lasted forever before it broke. But the shaft on the D05 is a bit thicker too. Over all the D05 for it's size to weight ratio. It's just a very durable heli that i don't usually expect damage on very often. By using a small paper clip as a canopy pin. The servos usually pop out of the mounts instead of strip, so even the evevator's stress is reduced because the cross pressure on the swash usually pops one of the other two servos out. I'm still on my first set of servos on the D05 and only my second set on the D02S. I have replaced the gear sets a few times, but not as many as most people report stripping gears. Mostly when i first was learning to fly.

BenMLee Shaft breaks in flight. Then V120D05CS08 flight (11 min 0 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 27, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:18 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Hi,

Remember i commented on the the tail wag in one of your videos, and you mentioned the tail brass part being worn out. I am facing a similar tail wag, however it seems to be happening due to ESC bring stick to side of the RX, the moment i try to stick the RX on servo (as with the xtreme landing gear, there is no place to stick the ESC).

Where should i stick the ESC so that it does not touches the RX, as its causing vibrations in heli, the moment ESC is decoupled from RX the heli seems to fly much better.

This is how its fitted on RX as of now:
dheerajjuneja is offline Find More Posts by dheerajjuneja
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:59 AM
Registered User
A VIKING's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
"Thats what she said"



Hey, uhm.... Viking, buddy, pal...... How about some dimensions, length, weight and composition data on the M120 tail boom? I have another mod in mind for the D05. Is it CF? Is it hollow inside? I.E. could a belt run though it? Something tells me if it's the same length or longer than the D05 boom, and it's actually made out of CF. I may be able to shave a few much needed grams off the tail of the D05.

I have been researching this for a little while now. I know that Aluminum and CF are nearly the same specific weight. What i have not been able to determine is exactly how much weight i would be saving on a CF boom of the same size. I did find some rather useful information and stole a spreadsheet graphic from this site . I have been considering buying some CF tube stock and mod the end myself to fit the tail boom. Because there is a buckle in the aluminum boom for the D05 at the tail end that acts as an anti-rotation brace for the tail box. I assume that the M120 was designed in a similar way. I just don't think I've ever considered the tail boom on the m120 as an option.

Here is that chart on the specific weight and some other data of compositional materials commonly used in aircraft and automotive/bikes. I know, Viking, you in your field probably are aware of or have seen charts like these before. Who knows, could be useful later though.


Integrity,

Looking at the chart, it makes you wonder why aluminum is used at all any more.
The M120 carbon fiber tail boom is 169mm long and 6mm OD and weighs in at 2 grams. I don't keep any D05 stuff around anymore so you will have to fill in those blanks. I do know the M120 boom is smaller in diameter though.
I had looked at doing the same thing when I was flying the D05 but because of the differances in diameters between the two booms, with the M120 being the smallest, and the differances in diameters of the output shaft to the tail rotor, again the M120 being smallest I didn't want to go through all the engineering required to make it work.
If it was the correct length, it would be a nice setup to have the carbon boom of the M120 on the D05 but you would have to figure out a collor to be used as a shim being place at either end of the boom to make it fit the D05 fuselage mount and tail gear box. But in creating a collor to fill the gaps you would end up adding back weight you don't want in the first place.
In thinking this through I just realized that I don't believe it would work and that's because given the diameter of the tail drive gear for the belt and the smaller diameter of the M120 tail boom, the belt would rub on the boom as it came out and re-entered the boom from the larger diameter belt gear on the tail rotor output shaft.
The easy fix if you wanted a carbon tail boom is order the correct diameter from a carbon tube vendor but I don't know how it would compare in weight.
If you have the parts you could see if I am right but either way it ends up to be more engineering than I would be willing to take on. Cool project though.

Good luck!

And from your previous posts I am starting to think, correct me if I'm wrong, you are not Walkera's biggest fan! It's just something I'm starting to sense with you. Just heard that the NFL's lock out of the referee's is over so the replacement referee's can now go back to their old jobs of soldering circuit boards and assymbling servos for Walkera. Happy day!
Fear not...I am sure you will have your X5 in no time, have you started buying parts for the build?

Nice job with your flying.
If I ever need to do any wind tunnel work I'll just come to Florida and stand around outside, does the wind ever stop there?

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Sep 27, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:09 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheerajjuneja View Post
Hi,

Remember i commented on the the tail wag in one of your videos, and you mentioned the tail brass part being worn out. I am facing a similar tail wag, however it seems to be happening due to ESC bring stick to side of the RX, the moment i try to stick the RX on servo (as with the xtreme landing gear, there is no place to stick the ESC).

Where should i stick the ESC so that it does not touches the RX, as its causing vibrations in heli, the moment ESC is decoupled from RX the heli seems to fly much better.

This is how its fitted on RX as of now:
Yes, i think i did forget to mention that in my build log too. I use 3M mounting tape and use 2-3 pieces stacked on top of one another. Very thin slices, maybe 5mm thick or so. Then i stick that to the side of the battery cage and whatever else it will stick to (usually part of the RX tray or RX).

But! I've had to rebuild or remove the RX/gyro from the jacket on every one of my V120 helicopters. The double stick mounting tape they use INSIDE the jacket is not very good. So the circuit board ends up moving around inside the jacket. Making it worse, the jacket is taped on too. There is just too much movement available for the gyro to vibe around. Some people use a rubber band to nullify the vibes in the nose. It's possible that my wag could have been from this too. As the issue does arise every now and then as the mounting tape begins to peel. Unfortunately mounting tape does not stick very well to the side of the RX or to the landing skids. On my v120D02S the ESC seems to fit better because i removed the RX/gyro from the jacket all together. But i think a rubber band should fix the issue for you. If you feel like it you can cut open the jacket and secure the circuit board to the shelf by it's self. But be careful if you do that. The jacket does protect the rx a little bit. So does the canopy. Flying with neither can leave the rx exposed to damage in a crash.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:39 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Integrity,

Looking at the chart, it makes you wonder why aluminum is used at all any more.
The M120 carbon fiber tail boom is 169mm long and 6mm OD and weighs in at 2 grams. I don't keep any D05 stuff around anymore so you will have to fill in those blanks. I do know the M120 boom is smaller in diameter though.
I had looked at doing the same thing when I was flying the D05 but because of the differances in diameters between the two booms, with the M120 being the smallest, and the differances in diameters of the output shaft to the tail rotor, again the M120 being smallest I didn't want to go through all the engineering required to make it work.
If it was the correct length, it would be a nice setup to have the carbon boom of the M120 on the D05 but you would have to figure out a collor to be used as a shim being place at either end of the boom to make it fit the D05 fuselage mount and tail gear box. But in creating a collor to fill the gaps you would end up adding back weight you don't want in the first place.
In thinking this through I just realized that I don't believe it would work and that's because given the diameter of the tail drive gear for the belt and the smaller diameter of the M120 tail boom, the belt would rub on the boom as it came out and re-entered the boom from the larger diameter belt gear on the tail rotor output shaft.
The easy fix if you wanted a carbon tail boom is order the correct diameter from a carbon tube vendor but I don't know how it would compare in weight.
If you have the parts you could see if I am right but either way it ends up to be more engineering than I would be willing to take on. Cool project though.

Good luck!

And from your previous posts I am starting to think, correct me if I'm wrong, you are not Walkera's biggest fan! It's just something I'm starting to sense with you. Just heard that the NFL's lock out of the referee's is over so the replacement referee's can now go back to their old jobs of soldering circuit boards and assymbling servos for Walkera. Happy day!
Fear not...I am sure you will have your X5 in no time, have you started buying parts for the build?

Nice job with your flying.
If I ever need to do any wind tunnel work I'll just come to Florida and stand around outside, does the wind ever stop there?

Viking
Yeah, starting to sound like too much trouble. For what will likely only be 2g difference when it's done. Oh well.

Isn't Walkera's electronics soldered by 9-12 year old Chinese children in child labor camps?

As far as the X5 goes, i decided i'm just going to buy a kit. The damn parts are too crazy to buy individually. So many individual screw sets and things like that. I think it will be easier to just get the whole kit without the servos and build it like that. The damn servos alone will cost like $200 extra. I could buy the kit that comes with them, but it also comes with the Microbeast V2 (or V3) but i want a AR7200BX so i can eliminate the wires between RX and Gyro. Oh yeah, on top of that. Parts availability for Gaui Products is very limited. Most places are regularly sold out of parts. It must be because they produce a quality product, have an awesome reputation and can't stay on top of the manufacturing to supply the demand. Unlike Walkera, who can supply all the cheap Chinese (toxic) plastic you want, all day long. But their reputation precedes them as well. Don't get me wrong, their 2011-2012 models were getting good. They definitely beat eflite. But their current business path, and technology path with their RX, in my opinion is wrong. It will cause a lot of problems for learning pilots, costing them more money. Possibly chasing them right out of the hobby. I might start buying parts for a X2 or 250 DFC soon though. I need a 200 size to fly. The 450 and above is great for the big field. The V120s are great for the driveway and everything. But i like the 200 size better. It's just a more stable platform. For only being a few inches bigger than a v120. The 4f200 is not cutting it in the 3d department.

No the wind never stops
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 27, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:15 PM
Registered User
Travis MCH's Avatar
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
I have racked up many flights on my primary V120D05s and have been very happy with the performance. It's just scary fast at times and I'm still amazed at the speed it achieves with the 215-T motor.
I noticed this weekend the tail starting to slip and drift around a bit. I also had some complete 360 spins in the air when doing stall turns. It's a big suprise when the tail breaks loose and spins around. I tired to slide the boom back and tighten the belt, the gear teeth are all fine, I just could not figure out what the deal was. I thought maybe the ESC was starting to fail and the head speed was too slow. Then I thought it was battery related.
It took a bit of time to go through all the parts and experiment with different tweaks to solve the loose tail issue.
I finally concluded that the belt was worn out. The teeth on the belt were worn down about half way. The belt did not seem to slip on the gear but I guess the worn teeth were enough to make the tail sloppy. Once I replaced the belt it was rock solid again. Yeah!

Also, I want to note that for me the belt is 10 times easier to change out than the dang gears on the V120D02s. I have a paperclip with a hook on the end and I can change out the belt in about five minutes. For me it's a heck of a lot harder to deal with the tiny gears on the V120D02s.
I love this belt drive. It's like a stealth figher because it can sneek up on you without ever hearing it.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:41 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Hi,

Check my first attempt to do nose in hover with the v120d05pro

V120d05 (modified) first nose in hover (0 min 56 sec)
dheerajjuneja is offline Find More Posts by dheerajjuneja
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheerajjuneja View Post
Hi,

Check my first attempt to do nose in hover with the v120d05pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWUNOOamDo0

Keep it up. You'll be flipping and rolling in no time! Don't rush it!
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:06 PM
Registered User
A VIKING's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheerajjuneja View Post
Hi,

Check my first attempt to do nose in hover with the v120d05pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWUNOOamDo0
Great Job!
First attempt! I won't tell you how long it took me to be that good at nose in. I promise it wasn't my first attempt, second...third...replace blades...forth...you get the idea, it took me a while.
Keep it up!

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:49 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Great Job!
First attempt! I won't tell you how long it took me to be that good at nose in. I promise it wasn't my first attempt, second...third...replace blades...forth...you get the idea, it took me a while.
Keep it up!

Viking
Thanks Viking, this was my first ever attempt to do nose in, it was not close to how it looks on the SIM, but i was pleasantly surprised on how it went. Integrity helped a lot to get this heli straightened out, and now it feels this was probably the best investment i did to learn how to fly, numerous crashes and i am still to replace any part (after D02s conversion).

The park i was flying in had a very nice grass coat: rough, unmaintained, but thats what i wanted

So, this is first ever flight where i managed to spend three battery full without the requirement to go home and fix the crashed heli ... i really enjoyed this one ...
dheerajjuneja is offline Find More Posts by dheerajjuneja
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Keep it up. You'll be flipping and rolling in no time! Don't rush it!
Am taking it very slowly, my next target is to do circuits, so get a better hang on the orientations, the orientations still confuse me a lot as this heli is VERY fast, it can go out of sight/control in seconds ... need to develop faster reflexes, in SIM i am starting out to do M shapes with partially mis-adjusted trims.
dheerajjuneja is offline Find More Posts by dheerajjuneja
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheerajjuneja View Post
Am taking it very slowly, my next target is to do circuits, so get a better hang on the orientations, the orientations still confuse me a lot as this heli is VERY fast, it can go out of sight/control in seconds ... need to develop faster reflexes, in SIM i am starting out to do M shapes with partially mis-adjusted trims.
Thats right. Getting your orientations is important. As you work on your circle circuits. First you can try doing circles around yourself as you spin in circles with your TX. If you feel comfortable moving on you can try and do circles in front of you. You will likely be able to do the circles easier going one direction than the other. This is because of the sideways thrust from the tail rotor. As you get comfortable doing the circles. You can try to make them smaller and smaller and smaller until, guess what! All of a sudden you'll be doing pirouettes!

I'm so glad you are enjoying it! Before you know it you'll only be crashing when you push your luck on new tricks
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:24 PM
Registered User
Travis MCH's Avatar
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
dheerajjuneja

Find a new flying spot out away from all the trees and playground slides. The V120D05 with that new motor will really rip out some speed. You'll want to fly out in the open and practice stall turns and fast open flying. The less you have to crash into the better!
Before you know it you will impress yourself with how much you have improved in such a short time. I tell myself that this time last year I could not do much more than a hover without crashing. The skill and learning part of this hobby is very fun!
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:47 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Thanks Guys, i am lovin it

Travis, before this i was only flying in our small roof top (barely 10 feet by 7 feet area), so going to this small park was already a big step for me

But yes, i got hooked to the open feild once i flew in this park, since that day i have not even touched my heli and am waiting to go to a bigger park now ... i can imagine the fun already
dheerajjuneja is offline Find More Posts by dheerajjuneja
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:06 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheerajjuneja View Post
Thanks Guys, i am lovin it

Travis, before this i was only flying in our small roof top (barely 10 feet by 7 feet area), so going to this small park was already a big step for me

But yes, i got hooked to the open feild once i flew in this park, since that day i have not even touched my heli and am waiting to go to a bigger park now ... i can imagine the fun already
Google earth is a RC pilots friend I'm sure your in a much more populated area than i am (lol) but i'm sure you can find somewhere they will let you fly your little micro. One guy i know flies over a retention pond by his house. It's always dry so there is no water to really run off. So he gets this big indent in the ground, by his house, to fly at.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Belt-driven tail FP helis? APJudson Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 47 Oct 17, 2010 02:22 PM
Question Shaft Driven or Belt Driven 4WD? deathstar Car Talk 5 Dec 04, 2009 05:38 AM
Discussion Motor driven tail rotor spin the same as belt driven tail? BowerR64 Micro Helis 4 Mar 17, 2008 11:53 PM