Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:01 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheerajjuneja View Post
I am crashing this heli left, right and center, just because i can

Actually while learning side orientations, i am pretty good on the sim, but am unable to control the heli in real life ... lets see when i will be able to pull it off, btw you may want to check this video of me flying the 450:

http://youtu.be/eozZrDQuxwA
Sweet. That looks like an EXI 450? I'm not a fan of flybars. I've never owned one, and don't prefer to have to repair them in a crash. But it looks nice for sport flight and learning to feel out a 450.

Keep it up with the V120. If you use the copper sheer pin with the upgrades you have done, you have one of the most durable, cost free crashers in it's size class. Even the famed V120d02S has a few durability issues. Most of which are addressable by modifications, except the tail boom. The V120d05 with these mods will take no damage from most crashes. The V120d02S will always end up with a cracked tail boom eventually, not much you can do about that. Worst thing will be having to put it on the bench after each crash to replace the copper sheer pin. That is still better than replacing the main gear every time. Every now and then you might have to replace the rotor head or the linkages, so stock those up. A few feathering shafts and a main shaft or 2 won't hurt either.

Now that you have a drill. GUESS WHAT! I get to teach you a new mechanic trick. You can get a drill bit about 1/2 a mm smaller than the main shaft. Drill about 5 holes into a thick, hardwood block. Insert the main shaft into your drill, not too deeply, but deeper than the key holes in the tip of the shaft for the pin. Run the bent shaft deep into the first hole and let it sit running to heat the shaft. You may notice the shaft start to straighten immediately just from the heat. If it's not bent much, this may be all you have to do. If it's still not straight and you have worn the first hole out some, move to the second, keeping the shaft hot. You may need to apply some sideways force to the shaft and a pumping motion in the hole. You should be able to get them back to 95+% straight and true again. Save you some $$ on bent shafts. Because they don't bend that easy in the first place and the heli still decent with bent shafts. Just has vibes.

If your doing okay in the sim but having trouble calming your mind, you should try to relax and breath when flying the real one. You have to free you mind of the worry of the cost. Don't try things your not comfortable with until it's second nature to you. If all else fails, you can always try Diazepam. I'm just saying... They give that stuff to snipers to calm them and alleviate the shaky hands and nerves. I think there is more... uhm. Natural methods as well. Glass of wine couldn't hurt.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:07 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Thats a hiller 450 kit fully assembled at home, it came in peices when i got, i kinda proud of the 450 build, check these photos to see how it looks from close:

http://plus.google.com/photos/101245...54347364660593

Thats a sweet trick, and yes the heli is very strong now, yesterday i did a very bad crash, it left marks on our main wooden gate, but the heli came out without a scratch, just kept it straight and it flew like nothing happened earlier it would have costed me atleast the FS and MS
dheerajjuneja is offline Find More Posts by dheerajjuneja
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:57 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheerajjuneja View Post
Thats a hiller 450 kit fully assembled at home, it came in peices when i got, i kinda proud of the 450 build, check these photos to see how it looks from close:

http://plus.google.com/photos/101245...54347364660593

Thats a sweet trick, and yes the heli is very strong now, yesterday i did a very bad crash, it left marks on our main wooden gate, but the heli came out without a scratch, just kept it straight and it flew like nothing happened earlier it would have costed me atleast the FS and MS
You know.... my eyes are pretty good calipers. That main shaft looks like the same size as the V450D01 main shaft, which is the same as the Align 450 shafts. The distance between the top shaft locking collar and the main gear assembly appears to be the same as well. More so, the main gear assembly appears to be compatible with the Align gear design as well. If you ever wanted you probably could install an Align DFC or FBL rotor head on that sucker, using align main gear assembly also if you wanted. You could get a Walkera 2702V to go with your 2801-Pro or any other FBL 3 axis gyro/RX. I hear good things about the Tarrot ZYX. I don't know if it will be worth it or not. But they are not very expensive parts to get in increments. Rather than buy a whole new FBL 450 or something like that.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:17 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
I am ok with the flybar version at the moment, dont want to invest in the FBl system yet as i have a 2801 pro rx with the 2801 pro tx (and most importantly 2 brand new regular gyros), more over i am flying this little birdie most of the times on my rooftop.

FBL will be on a new heli once i have grown up from a 450
dheerajjuneja is offline Find More Posts by dheerajjuneja
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
Viking's mod sounds pretty good but I'm not sold on the teflon tape used as a spacer for the stock or stay true shaft. I have the stay true shaft now and the pin hole is too large and has slop. I also want to use the D02s main gear so without modding the gear and head I would simply rather make a shaft that is the right size and length. You can't simply use the D02s main shaft on the M120 because it's too short. I'm going to get this machine shop to make me some that are perfect.

If I pull this off I'll be sure to let everyone know who is interested. ......
Travis,
In reviewing some older posts...
Just as a point of correction, I ended up using heat shrink, not teflon tape, on the main shaft of the M120 to fill the gap between the M120 mast and DO2S head on my mod to the M120.
I still fly the same setup today and the head remains centered and true, wobble and vibration free.
I have also removed the head for maintenance and the heat shrink sleeve stayed in the head, odly enough, and I just slid the head back on the mast assembly with no issues.
I can say with certainty it works perfectly for me, it has not loosened up at all with countless flights and crashes, heat shrink is very durable. Love the D02S head on the M120.
You can see my install on the M120 site. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...63787&page=177
Post 2651
See post 2682 for the complete list of mods for the M120.

Try it you'll like it!

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Sep 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Travis,
In reviewing some older posts...
Just as a point of correction, I ended up using heat shrink, not teflon tape, on the main shaft of the M120 to fill the gap between the M120 mast and DO2S head on my mod to the M120.
I still fly the same setup today and the head remains centered and true, wobble and vibration free.
I have also removed the head for maintenance and the heat shrink sleeve stayed in the head, odly enough, and I just slid the head back on the mast assembly with no issues.
I can say with certainty it works perfectly for me, it has not loosened up at all with countless flights and crashes, heat shrink is very durable. Love the D02S head on the M120.
You can see my install on the M120 site. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...63787&page=177
Post 2651
See post 2682 for the complete list of mods for the M120.

Try it you'll like it!

Viking
Man, that really is a cool looking little heli. I've come to the conclusion that my sweet spot for helicopters is in the 200-250 size. That M120 is just got a beautiful little airframe, really. For how small it really is. I almost wish i had one.

The v120s, while really cool and durable for learning. I just can't really see buying another one for how windy it is here, now that i can fly without crashing if i try hard . But they are just a slight bit under powered, even with the upgraded motors, and more often than not, the small rotor and lack of battery discharge ability (even with the very best batteries) leads to a crash for me, in this wind here.. I crashed my v120s constantly fighting the wind, while i only crashed my 4f200 for the first time in probably 2 months, the other day. There is a big difference in the rotor stability in the 200. Sometimes i actually prefer to fly the 200 size over my 450 size even. It's less intimidating to crash that is for sure. I kind of feel stuck with my v120s, because i don't think anyone will pay enough to make it worth selling them, at the same time i'm worried parts for the V120D05, as well as the M120 and other Walkera helicopters are coming to a short supply. At least, unless they decide to release "New" versions of these helicopters too.

So i may be selling my V120D05CS08, all tricked out and with some other parts and things. I need to start accumulating some cash for my X5 and X2 builds and invest in a spectrum TX system. Still can't decide DX6, DX7 or DX8. I know i probably won't ever need 8 channels, but a landing gear switch might be useful.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Man, that really is a cool looking little heli. I've come to the conclusion that my sweet spot for helicopters is in the 200-250 size. That M120 is just got a beautiful little airframe, really. For how small it really is. I almost wish i had one.

The v120s, while really cool and durable for learning. I just can't really see buying another one for how windy it is here, now that i can fly without crashing if i try hard . But they are just a slight bit under powered, even with the upgraded motors, and more often than not, the small rotor and lack of battery discharge ability (even with the very best batteries) leads to a crash for me, in this wind here.. I crashed my v120s constantly fighting the wind, while i only crashed my 4f200 for the first time in probably 2 months, the other day. There is a big difference in the rotor stability in the 200. Sometimes i actually prefer to fly the 200 size over my 450 size even. It's less intimidating to crash that is for sure. I kind of feel stuck with my v120s, because i don't think anyone will pay enough to make it worth selling them, at the same time i'm worried parts for the V120D05, as well as the M120 and other Walkera helicopters are coming to a short supply. At least, unless they decide to release "New" versions of these helicopters too.

So i may be selling my V120D05CS08, all tricked out and with some other parts and things. I need to start accumulating some cash for my X5 and X2 builds and invest in a spectrum TX system. Still can't decide DX6, DX7 or DX8. I know i probably won't ever need 8 channels, but a landing gear switch might be useful.

I couldn't stick with the V120, hated the tail boom, just my preferance, but I really like my M120 in it's present form, very happy with it. You just can't beat the 120 series for training, next month will be one year for me sinse I started RC helicopters and I am happy with my progress, this has to be the most difficult of all the RC model endeavors.
With the D02S head installed, sero saver (my version that is, I could never get the slotted version to work and I don't think the people who have tried my version followed all my instructions to the letter and had issues), copper shear pin for the main gear, D05 mast collor under the upper mast bearing to set the propper mesh for the "a" gear which, as a side bennefit, allows it to jump forward off the main gear in a tail first crash saving the "c" gear from stripping (I don't use the slipper cluch because of this), modded landing gear to allow it to slide apart on impact and propper use of throttle hold, it really is the perfect trainer for me. I can crash over and over, just click the servo arms back into position if needed and go again. Can't complain about power with the 2 cell HP08, the wind will always suck with anything I fly.
I am still flying the Phoenix simulator a lot, really helps with identifing attitude errors caused by slight thumb deviations during a manuvour ( I believe most tail blow outs are caused by pilot thumb errors, not the aircraft) and motor skills, I am working at making flight corrections automatically without conscious thought while thinking through the flight routine.
I am going to purchase a different TX as well, don't like the Devo 6 so I will be getting the Devo **, havn't decided yet. I would also like the extra channels for other uses (long line claw). You guys have been after me to post videos of my flights, but I really would like to make it a memorable one so I have it in my mind it should be one with the V450 flying a good 3D pattern followed up by long lining braches out of the yard, you know, really show the utility of the RC helicopter for those who can't talk thier wives into letting them buy one "Look honey, I can use it to clean up the yard!"
Don't tell anybody but I am back to flying the V450 without boom struts, seems the flexing I saw earlier didn't go away with the struts installed and ended up being a visual illusion, just like holding a pecil a little off center and wagging it up and down, it makes the pencil appear to bend, thats what I was seeing in the boom on translational vibrations during spool up.
Anyway haven't posted much, don't have anything to offer but when I do find something interresting or another worthy mod I'll be sure to post it.
Good luck with your X5 endeavor, I'll hang tough with the V450 since it works well for me now, but I am sure another ship is out there with my name on it.

Viking
Last edited by A VIKING; Sep 26, 2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:28 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,877 Posts
Quote:
I couldn't stick with the V120, hated the tail boom, just my preferance, but I really like my M120 in it's present form, very happy with it. You just can't beat the 120 series for training, next month will be one year for me sinse I started RC helicopters and I am happy with my progress, this has to be the most difficult of all the RC model endeavors.
With the D02S head installed, sero saver (my version that is, I could never get the slotted version to work and I don't think the people who have tried my version followed all my instructions to the letter and had issues), copper shear pin for the main gear, D05 mast collor under the upper mast bearing to set the propper mesh for the "a" gear which, as a side bennefit, allows it to jump forward off the main gear in a tail first crash saving the "c" gear from stripping (I don't use the slipper cluch because of this), modded landing gear to allow it to slide apart on impact and propper use of throttle hold, it really is the perfect trainer for me. I can crash over and over, just click the servo arms back into position if needed and go again. Can't complain about power with the 2 cell HP08, the wind will always suck with anything I fly.
I am still flying the Phoenix simulator a lot, really helps with identifing attitude errors caused by slight thumb deviations during a manuvour ( I believe most tail blow outs are caused by pilot thumb errors, not the aircraft) and motor skills, I am working at making flight corrections automatically without conscious thought while thinking through the flight routine.
I am going to purchase a different TX as well, don't like the Devo 6 so I will be getting the Devo **, havn't decided yet. I would also like the extra channels for other uses (long line claw). You guys have been after me to post videos of my flights, but I really would like to make it a memorable one so I have it in my mind it should be one with the V450 flying a good 3D pattern followed up by long lining braches out of the yard, you know, really show the utility of the RC helicopter for those who can't talk thier wives into letting them buy one "Look honey, I can use it to clean up the yard!"
Don't tell anybody but I am back to flying the V450 without boom struts, seems the flexing I saw earlier didn't go away with the struts installed and ended up being a visual illusion, just like holding a pecil a little off center and wagging it up and down, it makes the pencil appear to bend, thats what I was seeing in the boom on translational vibrations during spool up.
Anyway haven't posted much, don't have anything to offer but when I do find something interresting or another worthy mod I'll be sure to post it.
Good luck with your X5 endeavor, I'll hang tough with the V450 since it works well for me now, but I am sure another ship is out there with my name on it.

Viking
Personally, i really think the 2801-pro was, and still is their best TX. But in the Devo variety i would have to get the devo 10. There is no other acceptable option. Anyone who has owned a smart phone or tablet will tell you that color touch screens are not very fun in the sun. Besides that, i don't want all this extra crap. Just give me a TX that has the functions, without the gimmick please. I will be rather disappointed, i'm sure, when i get a Spectrum TX. Sure it will have like 20 model memory and all this other stuff. But the switches are backwards from Walkera and i'm not sure i'm going to like their little scroll wheel thing for the menus. But, there isn't much else in the price range to consider. Other than maybe the Tarrot ZYX system and their Tx.

Yeah, the D02S tail boom really pisses me off actually. I suppose going to 2S might solve some power issues. But are flight times going to be very short? I never wanted to venture in to 2S because of that. As it is a 1S 3D flight might only last 3 minutes on the D02S with the 215 motor. Maybe longer with just sport flight but still, pretty short.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 26, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Personally, i really think the 2801-pro was, and still is their best TX. But in the Devo variety i would have to get the devo 10. There is no other acceptable option. Anyone who has owned a smart phone or tablet will tell you that color touch screens are not very fun in the sun. Besides that, i don't want all this extra crap. Just give me a TX that has the functions, without the gimmick please. I will be rather disappointed, i'm sure, when i get a Spectrum TX. Sure it will have like 20 model memory and all this other stuff. But the switches are backwards from Walkera and i'm not sure i'm going to like their little scroll wheel thing for the menus. But, there isn't much else in the price range to consider. Other than maybe the Tarrot ZYX system and their Tx.

Yeah, the D02S tail boom really pisses me off actually. I suppose going to 2S might solve some power issues. But are flight times going to be very short? I never wanted to venture in to 2S because of that. As it is a 1S 3D flight might only last 3 minutes on the D02S with the 215 motor. Maybe longer with just sport flight but still, pretty short.
When i first started using my Devo10 I didn't lke it because i was expecting it to be similar to the 2801pro but, it's quite a bit different. After giving it some time and learning how to use it I can honestly say that it is better than the 2801pro and a very nice upgrade. For the price, i'd say it is probably one of the best transmitters available right now. I can see no reason at all to pay more for spektrum also, don't forget the deviation firmware is going to be coming. So if you want to fly spektrum, you can do that too.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,259 Posts
New TX

Guy's thanks for the support and insight!
I have all Devo RX's in my ships so Devo it will be for now.
Depending on my experiance with the Devo 10 I will either stay Devo or try another brand when changing ships. I agree on the dificulty to see color display's, pretty inside the house but you better have some good shade to see the screen outside.

Does the Devo 10 come with that red flower pot looking hat oh wait that was the band Devo. I could mount the GoPro on it though, that would be a sweet look on the flight line.

Viking
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:58 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,877 Posts
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
When i first started using my Devo10 I didn't lke it because i was expecting it to be similar to the 2801pro but, it's quite a bit different. After giving it some time and learning how to use it I can honestly say that it is better than the 2801pro and a very nice upgrade. For the price, i'd say it is probably one of the best transmitters available right now. I can see no reason at all to pay more for spektrum also, don't forget the deviation firmware is going to be coming. So if you want to fly spektrum, you can do that too.
I have to apologize in advance, i have no idea what i'm about to say. But i have a huge sore spot for Walkera and ignorance in general. Walkera is an ignorant company so i hate everything about it. But understand i have no intent of insulting you or making you feel bad. But i might.

Your wrong, Walkera is garbage. How about BeastX for a reason to buy Spektrum? How about reliability and trust in a company that is not Walkera. Because in the upper ranks of the RC heli world Walkera is the "Walmart" of rc helicopters. Or maybe the "radio shack" of RC period. Walkera Gyros and receivers are notoriously unreliable and cause crashes, regularly. (2610V, 2615V, 2612V and others) You probably didn't even know it was the RX's fault. You probably just thought it was dumb thumbs, it's okay! (NOT) While it is true that Walkera has made large improvements in quality in the last year or two. I personally will never buy another Walkera TX again if i can avoid it. Walkera is likely to just discontinue the Devo 10 in a year too. Just like they did a year after releasing the 2801-pro. I'm sorry, but i could never trust a Walkera TX/RX system to fly a $1000-$2000 real RC heli. On top of that, Walkera is ONLY FOR BEGINNERS! PERIOD, END OF STORY!!!! Oh, and you would trust 3rd party software for the Devo system on such investments? I don't think so.... Especially now with their implementation of the 6 axis ONLY RX systems. 6 axis gyros are training wheels for rookies. I've heard too many stories of people banking turns and drifting into a tree because of the "auto leveling" of the 6 axis gyro. No thank you! I'll be investing my future $$ in the company that actually cares about it's existing customers, has customer support, reliability AND A FREAKING WARANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless i decide to get a new V120.... No wait, never mind that. 6 axis gyro means a Spektrum TX and a new 130X for me and the sale of every single one of my Walkera helicopters in hopes of any feeling of liberation from this company called Walkera that is nothing but a money pit at best. JUST LIKE EVERY SINGLE OTHER PERSON has done in this hobby that got stuck with one and chooses to advance into professional quality 3D flights. So, If your content with flying figure 8s and circle circuits and crashing your heli every other flight because of walkera's electronics. Then Walkera is the brand for you! All i know is that i'm sick of it with this company. At this point i would pay money just to have a different set of problems. You know, problems like my servos are a year old and just went bad in flight. Or my 6 month old tail belt snapped! OR any problem that would be MY FAULT! Not like my v450d01 by walkera that caught the ESC on fire on the 2nd pack then burned out 6 servos with electrical short circuits and burn out all within the first 4 weeks of owning the thing. Oh yeah, 4 ESCs and 6 sets of servos later, it's only flying decently. It's still not capable of hard pitch changes required for real 3D. I have similar stories for all of my walkera helicopters. Then i go look at people buying other brands, and the total lack of problems they have. Sure every heli has issues. Every brand has issues. But in general, after the build is complete. The only time they come around asking questions is when they dumb thumb it into the ground. Otherwise it's good flight after good flight. /end rant (sorry again)
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 26, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
503 Posts
+++++++1 to everything IntegrityHndywrk said. With my noob shoes on I bought into Walkera and the blood lost set me back months. After I moved away from their products did I begin to enjoy flying.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:33 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
+++++++1 to everything IntegrityHndywrk said. With my noob shoes on I bought into Walkera and the blood lost set me back months. After I moved away from their products did I begin to enjoy flying.
Truth be told, i bought every one on my Walkeras knowing a little bit better. I wanted to make the unflyable helicopters, like this D05, become very viable. Unfortunately, i let myself fall in too deep and am stuck with all of them. Most of them being discontinued and not having parts available for much longer. I suppose i'm mostly angry with myself for knowing better and getting this invested. But i felt like i was helping people. That is just a passion of mine. Maybe i did, maybe i didn't.

I can tell you one truth though.. If you think i get fired up talking about the downfalls of owning a Walkera when you could have had something much better for only a few bucks more. Well, you should see how i get when i talk about government, nutrition or health care! Now that is a spectacle for all to see and here! lol I might sound like a ranting loony. But most of it is fact filled, weather you like it or not. A lot of my friends compare me to Alex Jones.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
503 Posts
He He I won't even touch that with a 10 ft pole.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:01 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
He He I won't even touch that with a 10 ft pole.
"Thats what she said"

Quote:

Viking
Hey, uhm.... Viking, buddy, pal...... How about some dimensions, length, weight and composition data on the M120 tail boom? I have another mod in mind for the D05. Is it CF? Is it hollow inside? I.E. could a belt run though it? Something tells me if it's the same length or longer than the D05 boom, and it's actually made out of CF. I may be able to shave a few much needed grams off the tail of the D05.

I have been researching this for a little while now. I know that Aluminum and CF are nearly the same specific weight. What i have not been able to determine is exactly how much weight i would be saving on a CF boom of the same size. I did find some rather useful information and stole a spreadsheet graphic from this site . I have been considering buying some CF tube stock and mod the end myself to fit the tail boom. Because there is a buckle in the aluminum boom for the D05 at the tail end that acts as an anti-rotation brace for the tail box. I assume that the M120 was designed in a similar way. I just don't think I've ever considered the tail boom on the m120 as an option.

Here is that chart on the specific weight and some other data of compositional materials commonly used in aircraft and automotive/bikes. I know, Viking, you in your field probably are aware of or have seen charts like these before. Who knows, could be useful later though.