HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:12 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
5,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheerajjuneja View Post
While setting up the gain pot on the RX, i have to make it less than 50%, any more than that brings up oscillations. But this much gain seems to lack the tight hover and control, what should i check/do to be able to bring in more rx gain, without the ill effects?
You probably won't be able to turn it up much past that. How is it behaving? Is it tilting or moving it's self around in hover? You might just need to make a few adjustments to the swash links to level it out better. Also, turn the balance delay down or up. The balance delay is the time it takes for the gyro to turn off after giving a gyro input. So the longer the delay is, the longer the gyro works, basically. It's a little more complex than what i just explained. But try moving that pot around.

It seems out time zones have us at a communicational delay sometimes. Wish i could have stayed up all night helping you out I'm glad you got it working though. Once you get a little more experience and understanding you should be doing very good! The nice thing about these little ones, is they are great learning tools for both flying and learning mechanics and repair.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Mar 2006
24 Posts
Quote:
Today I broke the anti rotation bracket on d05 ... Anyway it can be fixed? I think I will buy a drill and stick with this heli itself, I guess I like the idea of belt driven version instead of tail gears (well this can change if I get emotional at some point in time)

Edit:
This happened after replacing the MS, the heli seems to spool up very nicly now without any major vibes, will check how it flys now, but don't know how temp. Measure can be taken to fix the anti rotation braket...
I like the belt driven tails too, when I was flying my 450 and 600. But when I started flying the D02S and learned about the slippery clutch and servo mod... Damn I totally love my v120d02s. No more gears stripping.

Btw, buzzing sound from servos could be an indication that,
1) Servo is stripped
2) rotor mechanics have binding issues
3) nothing wrong.. Just test it out by moving cyclic sticks on tx, if servo doesn't move and still buzzing its 1. If servo suddenly jumps up after a percentage of stick movement, it's 2. If neither one, then probably the servo/rx is acting up. Nothing to worry about.
naruto is offline Find More Posts by naruto
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Thanks for this offer, can you provide me a rough cost of the adapted main gears?
dheerajjuneja is offline Find More Posts by dheerajjuneja
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto View Post
I like the belt driven tails too, when I was flying my 450 and 600. But when I started flying the D02S and learned about the slippery clutch and servo mod... Damn I totally love my v120d02s. No more gears stripping.

Btw, buzzing sound from servos could be an indication that,
1) Servo is stripped
2) rotor mechanics have binding issues
3) nothing wrong.. Just test it out by moving cyclic sticks on tx, if servo doesn't move and still buzzing its 1. If servo suddenly jumps up after a percentage of stick movement, it's 2. If neither one, then probably the servo/rx is acting up. Nothing to worry about.
Okay, well the I shall keep my options open, will try to locate a used here on this forum, let me put up wanted ad

Btw about the servo, it does seems that the servo jumps after some degree of stick input, is it time to replace the servos ?

Damn ..
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:58 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,890 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for this offer, can you provide me a rough cost of the adapted main gears?
Well, do you want me to order them locally (fast) or from else ware (cheap). The cheaper option will take a week just to arrive to me. Then another week+ to arrive back to you. Though it would be almost double for me to order them here and save 3-5 days on shipping time. That is all up to you. Then i i'll see about what it would cost minus the shipping from me to you. We can figure that should be no more than $15 if i use a priority mail flat rate international mailer. I might be able to find cheaper methods too. I do half ass a ebay store so i should be able to figure something out.

I'll check later and see if i have any left that are already drilled. I think it's about time to order more though. But honestly. Since i started using sheer pins i have not ground one down in a while.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 12, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
484 Posts
If your servos jump even slightly with stick input then yes, they are stripped. There are guys that can take them apart and replace the gears but they are too tiny for me. I just replace the entire servo.

You really need to upgrade the head, and main shaft to V120D02s parts. It's the last best mod you need to complete now that you have changed the RX and main motor.
Getting rid of the swash stablizer will save you crashes in the long run. I think the D02s head makes the heli fly more stable and is much easier to work on. The D02s main shaft and feathering shafts are bigger and stronger and the plastic blade grips will take a beating.
Drilling the main gear to fit the larger shaft is not hard and you don't need a drill press or any precision tools.
I have a simple chordless drill with a bit just slightly smaller than the main shaft. I hold the gear in my right hand and drill in the left. I can get it pretty straight. I then test fit it on the shaft, wollow it out a bit to make the hole larger and straighter, keep wollowing, make it bigger, make it straighter and then all the sudden it fits the shaft perfectly snug and pretty straight. It does not need to be perfect because the pinion gear will make it run straight. Get it as close as you can though. I eye ball the gear and see where I need to wollow the drill bit to remove more plastic and get the hole more centered up.
Integrity Handiwork uses CA to re-inforce the center hub where the pin slides through. I don't do this mod because I'm really messy with glue. I've broken several gears right at the hub because I made it weaker so now I use soft aluminum wire as a sheer pin. Nore more stripped or broken gears now.

When I entered this hobby of flying helis I was told over and over again to be patient. Working on these helis and learning to tune them takes time but you will get it. Before you know it you can tear one down and re-built it very quickly. You will learn how to diagnose problems, learn how to fix them and make the heli fly better. Before long your crashes will be less violent and the parts orders will go down.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:43 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
484 Posts
On the new RX 2622 your gyro pot gain needs to be set around 10:00. Any higher and you will get the shakes. I turn mine up as far as I can until I get the shakes and then slowly back off until it smoothes out. Take off, see how it does, land, adjust and do it again until you have it dialed in. With the pot set at 10:00 I get the most stable hover hold and auto correct without getting the shakes.
Try it
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:50 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,890 Posts
I seem to remember having the shakes issue too. I'm pretty sure i keep mine low. I usually keep my gyros pretty low anyway because i like to learn to be able to do the corrections myself. In case the gyro is not doing it's job. I guess i consider it a best practice. It's a good point though.

BTW, i no longer reinforce the center hub. The aluminum wire is just too soft to break it. I'm concerned that when i go to copper it might do more damage to the hub again though. Like you were saying, the aluminum wire is just a bit too soft. You could taper a piece of 18 gauge and drill the plastic holes out some. I'm pretty sure the thicker wire will sqeeze in there and maybe be more durable. But it's not going to be easy, i have some 18 AWG picture frame wire (alum) and it does not fit the gear hole easily. Being as soft as it is. It's hard to push it in also. But it's something you can muddle though if you are determined enough i suppose.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Thanks Guys, I have decided to buy a drill in the mean time i am placing the order for D02s parts on Jades.

Once i start, i may need your help to set things up, will keep you guys posted. I think our messages exchanges have been so frequent its like chatting ...

You guys are so helpful, i will try to give back to this forum as much as i can ...
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Man, i could have built a very high quality 500 clone in the money i spent on this D05

List of items ordered:
Description:New V120D02S Main Rotor Blades, Item no:HM-NewV120D02S-Z-03
Unit price:$5.00 USD
Qty:1
Amount:$5.00 USD
Description:WALKERA V120D02[S] Helicopter Blade Grips, Item no:HM-V120D02S-Z-02
Unit price:$4.00 USD
Amount:$4.00 USD
Description:WALKERA V120D02[S] Helicopter Rotor Head, Item no:HM-V120D02S-Z-03
Unit price:$3.00 USD
Amount:$3.00 USD
Description:WALKERA V120D02[S] Helicopter Main Shaft, Item no:HM-V120D02S-Z-04
Unit price:$3.30 USD
Qty:2
Amount:$6.60 USD
Description:WALKERA V120D02[S] Helicopter Feathering Shaft, Item
no:HM-V120D02S-Z-05
Unit price:$2.70 USD
Amount:$5.40 USD
Description:WALKERA V120D02[S] Helicopter Ball Linkage Set, Item
no:HM-V120D02S-Z-06
Unit price:$2.70 USD
Amount:$2.70 USD
Description:WALKERA V120D02[S] Helicopter Screws Set, Item no:HM-V120D02S-Z-22
Unit price:$2.50 USD
Amount:$2.50 USD
Description:WALKERA V120D02[S] Helicopter Swashplate, Item no:HM-V120D02S-Z-27
Unit price:$8.00 USD
Amount:$8.00 USD
Description:WALKERA V120D02[S] Helicopter Bearing, Item no:HM-V120D02S-Z-19
Unit price:$5.20 USD
Amount:$5.20 USD
Description:WALKERA V120D02[S] Helicopter Bearing, Item no:HM-V120D02S-Z-20
Unit price:$2.00 USD
Amount:$2.00 USD
Description:WALKERA V120D02[S] Helicopter Tail Brade Rocker, Item
no:HM-V120D02S-Z-14
Unit price:$1.50 USD
Qty:3
Amount:$4.50 USD
Description:V120D02S Servo (1pc) (WK-02-1), Item no:HM-V120D02S-30
Unit price:$12.60 USD
Amount:$25.20 USD
Description:WALKERA V120D05 Helicopter Main Gear, Item no:HM-V120D05-Z-05
Unit price:$3.70 USD
Qty:3
Amount:$11.10 USD
Description:WALKERA V120D05 Helicopter Main Frame, Item no:HM-V120D05-Z-03
Unit price:$5.50 USD
Amount:$5.50 USD
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:12 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,890 Posts
... /sigh Don't remind us!

I've spent even more on my v450. I wish i never got a walkera v450 and instead just built something else. But the tinkerer in me wanted to try and modify and adapt the heli to something more viable. It's been going very rough. But in the end i think the v120d05 is my best contribution to the hobby so far. The 4f200 data i've been posting and compiling i'm sure has helped a lot of people too. I'm sure. Maybe. (lol) But the v450 has been very disheartening. After everything, i didn't mind spending so much on the D05 upgrades because i enjoyed flying the heli. It was able to perfrom rather well in 3d too! It was durable, especially at this point with all we've learned. It just became a reliable helicoper, if you maintained it properly.

Which brings up a good point! I recommend getting a bottle of Scorpion motor bearing oil and using it on all the drive system bearings on the helicopter. I recently went though and lubed the main shaft bearings on the top and bottom (under the main gear) and also the tail shaft bearings. The amount of friction reduced was amazing. Unfortunately this needs to be done every 5 flights or so. But your helicopter will perform much better. Not to mention MUCH longer flights and MUCH less heat produced within your ESC/motor wires. This is something i have been doing, but have become lazy to doing it, especially the bearing under the main gear. Because i have so many helicopter projects going at once right now. If you have not seen the latest beauty, you should pop into my blog and check out the pictures and video! That one will be for sale once i get the packaging worked out and weights with shipping and all of that kind of thing. If your interested let me know, it's going to be RTF only. Plus some extra bits and pieces. It's not going to be cheap. But man is it cool. If i could, i would keep it for myself

Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
This is Rocking

Very well done, however i strickly have to control this urge to buy new helis i will go bankrupt me just by keeping the spares in place ... i would definility like to have something like this with me in near future ....
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:37 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,890 Posts
Quote:
This is Rocking

Very well done, however i strickly have to control this urge to buy new helis i will go bankrupt me just by keeping the spares in place ... i would definility like to have something like this with me in near future ....
Yeah, you don't want to crash something like this. Damage to the rotor head will really cost you. The blade grips, rotor head and blades alone could run you $100 and UP depending on which blade grips you go with. The very, very nice. Much more detailed "scale" looking blade grips are $32 each. Not to mention the nice FRP fuselage that needs to be custom fit to the airframe if you break it. A service i will provide free, at least one time, with the sale as long as shipping and parts are paid. If your still learning orientations, you really should stick with the v120s for now
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Yup, am planning to stick with these little beauties for now and fix the 450 that i crashed the other day. Will try to go out this weekend and fly them and see if i can get them back in 1 peice ...
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:21 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
5,890 Posts
Quote:
Yup, am planning to stick with these little beauties for now and fix the 450 that i crashed the other day. Will try to go out this weekend and fly them and see if i can get them back in 1 peice ...
Here is a video from the V120D02S i shot today. It has the Turbo Ace 215 motor in it and a BenMLee slipper clutch tail mod. Otherwise no modifications (besides the reflective tape)

V120D02S-Pro - 1st Flight after friction reduction in tail boom (4 min 6 sec)