HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:13 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheerajjuneja View Post
Thanks Travis, shall do that. Today i got the new landing gear (the stock version, but it seems to be more flexible than what i got with the heli, hopefully it will hold on better).

Also got the motor, shafts etc. Seems the rotor shaft is bent a bit, but what do i use to open the screws, seems like a .9mm hex, but that size is only available with multi-bit tool sets e.g.
http://dx.com/p/31-in-1-precision-mu...k-silver-53711

Will this work? What tool are you using to open the rotor shaft etc?
I too am unsure of the size. Your heli should have come with 2 of them though? New ones usually do. About your landing skids. The V2 landing skids were improved over the original D05 release. They then also changed the part for the replacement sales. So the V1, V2 and replacement parts could be all different skids.

When you get the Extreme skids you will need to cut the battery frame so you can push the battery all the way forward to the nose of the helicopter, like the stock skids. Otherwise the center of gravity will be off and the helicopter will tilt. Pictures in my build log, as i already know you are aware. I just wanted to make sure you know before trying to fly and have the heli tilt backwards on you. . Also make sure the main gear and motor shaft do not rub on the skids. The stock motor has a slightly longer shaft than the upgrade motors do. You may need to wedge the landing skids with washers and longer screws in the back to prevent the motor shaft from rubbing. Or drill a little hole in the CF part of the skids for the shaft. It might not be a problem at all though. There already won't be very much clearance for the main gear. Mine never rubs except for in a crash or something. It's been fine so far, you just can't install the second O-ring because you won't need it and the rubber will end up being rubbed by the main gear and breaking anyway. Save the 2nd O-ring for when the first one wears out.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Thanks Integrity, yes, mine came with two Allen keys, but seems the guy who gave this to me had already done some damage to them. Anyways, I found out that it was .9mm Allen key, same is used in trex 250 as well, I have ordered one from ehirobo.

Before I discussed about the motor to you, I saw an upgrade motor on the chinesejade website it's HP08s 13200 kv and had already ordered one, then ordered a spin 16300 as per your suggestion.

The Hp has arrived, spin will take next 10 days, I think spin is much more powerful, and I should install it once I get a hang of the basic flying, my question is:
Should I install Hp motor? Will it alteast help in the heli bogging down in flying and loosing tail?

Edit:
I have the HP motor with 16t pinion.
dheerajjuneja is offline Find More Posts by dheerajjuneja
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:19 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Integrity, yes, mine came with two Allen keys, but seems the guy who gave this to me had already done some damage to them. Anyways, I found out that it was .9mm Allen key, same is used in trex 250 as well, I have ordered one from ehirobo.

Before I discussed about the motor to you, I saw an upgrade motor on the chinesejade website it's HP08s 13200 kv and had already ordered one, then ordered a spin 16300 as per your suggestion.

The Hp has arrived, spin will take next 10 days, I think spin is much more powerful, and I should install it once I get a hang of the basic flying, my question is:
Should I install Hp motor? Will it alteast help in the heli bogging down in flying and loosing tail?

Edit:
I have the HP motor with 16t pinion.
Make sure the pinion fits the gear mesh properly! I am unsure of the pinion modulus on your pinion. But the proper modulus (I if i remember correctly) is 0.3m. But yes, the HP motor is a good motor. Unfortunately the 13200kv version is a older version. But it is still probably a improvement over the stock motor. There is a 16500kv version out there somewhere to purchase, but jade store does not carry them. Some people flying the HP08s motors on the V120D02S are enjoying them with the 16500kv version. But these are motors i have not tried yet to compare. Especially your 13200kv version. Based on the numbers alone, it is a large improvement over the stock motor. The good news is that it might actually output higher than 13200kv anyway. I would install that motor and test it. then try the Extreme spin when you get it. Then sell the worst one to a friend or try and sell it online either here or on ebay or something. Or just save it for your next heli, if you plan on getting another v120 at some point.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
I have installed the Hp motor, and the pinion seems to make a good contact with the gear. It surly does feel much more powerful than the stock on spool up. Am waiting for the new blade grips to try to fly it.

I will keep this motor, as I am really loving this size of heli, I have a 450 and another walkera 1#a, but cant fly them as much as I can fly this small baby. Maybe will buy another 05 once I am ok with all the mods you have put up
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Hi, the grips arrived today (it took only 6 days from placing the order to getting the delivery from Jade, thats awesome). Tried the new motor, it seems VERY powerful than the stock.

In the first flight it knocked off the heli straight into a table as i had not changed the throttle curve and pitch curves, totally my mistake.

After kind of setting up the curves, the heli seems to fly very neat, no tail issues at all, to bogging of motor (i was facing this even with normal hover and quick forward flight, but this seems to add substantial power)

Need to see how it would go on, shall keep you posted as the new RX arrives and i can try out some circuits (if i can manage with my skills)
Site Sponsor
Last edited by dheerajjuneja; Sep 07, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:56 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
I am very happy you are enjoying this helicopter. I am very happy that i am able to help provide a reference point for people who own the V120D05 to be able to make the helicopter into a very nice 3D CP helicopter. SOOOO MANY people were screwed over by this helicopter and have it sitting in their closet collecting dust. So many complaints. The higher head speed of the new motor should help keep the tail more solid. Once you get the new RX, the tail Gyro is much more efficient at holding things tightly. The tail ratio is still very poor so the helicopter will always be able to blow the tail out if your not careful to use calm pitch changes.

So while i'm glad your enjoying modifying and flying your new helicopter. I want to tell you now. You really should consider the V120d02S with a slipper clutch modification as your next heli of the same size. I myself have no interest in the 6 axis systems Walkera is releasing with their "New" helicopters. So i will be leaving Walkera for good very shortly. My basic point is that if i were to get a V120D02S now at this point, i would pick the older version with the 2622V or the 2622V-D RX if you have a Devo TX. The problem here is that Devo is Walkera's newest TX/RX system. It's very hard to get a 2801-pro RX or helicopter anymore because they are the older models with only the 3 axis gyros. The 6 axis system on their new models is basically like training wheels for rookies, but it has no "off" switch. So your stuck with a helicopter that is more difficult in 3D because of the 6 axis system trying to always level the helicopter out. As you progress into 3D flight you will probably not like the 6 axis system, but you won't even understand that it is the reason why you are crashing. You seem to be learning well on the 3 axis system. This is the standard gyro system and my recommendation is to stick with that. But, that being said. Many people seem to be enjoying the "New V120D02S" with the 6 axis gyro. I just wanted to give my opinion so you could make a better informed decision. Although if you have your heart set on another D05, i may be selling mine soon.

Happy Flights!
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:24 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
Integrity

You are so very right about many people may have the D05 sitting around collecting dust because it's too difficult to fly in stock form. That's pretty much how I got mine from "Clearprop". Once I made a deal on it I had parts on the way too so once it arrived I could transform it into the heli Walkera should have released.
You are right on with your comment about the 3 axis vs. 6 axis on the new V120D02s. I have both and will confirm that it's harder to fly the 6 axis aggresivley. The 6 axis surely helps those that are just now learning to fly but it's got it's limits so it's a bummer you can't turn it off.
As we approach the end of the year I'm thinking Walkera will maybe come out with yet another V120 so I'm curious to see what's next
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Guys, the RX arrived today as well, along with the extreme landing skids. I will install the RX tomorrow and try out how it flys with this new RX.

After I installed the new motor, the heli has somehow become very unstable, am just hoping that the RX would fix it, but I am not able to clearly understand why the motor would make the heli unstable?

Will try to see that the tracking is fine and balancing of blades too tomorrow.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:08 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Guys, the RX arrived today as well, along with the extreme landing skids. I will install the RX tomorrow and try out how it flys with this new RX.

After I installed the new motor, the heli has somehow become very unstable, am just hoping that the RX would fix it, but I am not able to clearly understand why the motor would make the heli unstable?

Will try to see that the tracking is fine and balancing of blades too tomorrow.
Can you be more descriptive of the helicopters behavior? You might want to turn down the aile/elevator gyro pot a little bit. You might have a slight bend in the FS or main shaft. Additional head speed would make the vibrations worse, confusing the gyro. Thats my best guess without more data to assess.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Hi, I see what you mean by turning down the aile/elevator gyro pot, will try that tomorrow and get back. The heli seems to go left/right on its own and when I try to correct, the reaction is very fast and unpredictable in terms on the effect of input.

I had already replaced the FS, the main shaft seems to be in good shape, while just writing you I realise that it actually may not be the new motor, as I had to replace the rotor grips, it may have changed the swash balance, I couldnt spend too much time today, will try to set things up again with the new rx and see how it goes.

Shall post back my exp. as soon as I am through with the rx change, I lost my 450 today in a major crash. Lesson learnt, never try to fly the bigger bird in a cramped spot, was very disheartened to see my best built just torn down to pieces, when I returned home, I saw the rx delivered, so didn't had much of enthusism to try it out straight away as otherwise I would have done
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:15 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Hi, I see what you mean by turning down the aile/elevator gyro pot, will try that tomorrow and get back. The heli seems to go left/right on its own and when I try to correct, the reaction is very fast and unpredictable in terms on the effect of input.

I had already replaced the FS, the main shaft seems to be in good shape, while just writing you I realise that it actually may not be the new motor, as I had to replace the rotor grips, it may have changed the swash balance, I couldnt spend too much time today, will try to set things up again with the new rx and see how it goes.

Shall post back my exp. as soon as I am through with the rx change, I lost my 450 today in a major crash. Lesson learnt, never try to fly the bigger bird in a cramped spot, was very disheartened to see my best built just torn down to pieces, when I returned home, I saw the rx delivered, so didn't had much of enthusism to try it out straight away as otherwise I would have done
My friend, i feel your pain. Let me share with you a picture of what i went though with my v450 in just 30-45 days or so. Just because of electrical issues.

And honestly, those are just the major indicator parts. The ones that always break. There was a lot more in the trash right next to me lol.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:12 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
It should have made me sad to look at that pile up. But on the contrary, it has given me some sort of a positive feeling, something in the lines of .... Hey I am not alone

Btw: tested the heli out on my roof and the swash was very much out of alignment, that was the only reason of the heli behaving very strange. Setu up everything back, and I am amazed to see not even a single incident of tail blow out in 3 consecutive battery packs. With the stock motor I was loosing tail with anything I did.

Now, for starters this is not a bad upgrade at all, most likely cheapest, I got this motor from jade for 23 usd
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:11 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
It should have made me sad to look at that pile up. But on the contrary, it has given me some sort of a positive feeling, something in the lines of .... Hey I am not alone

Btw: tested the heli out on my roof and the swash was very much out of alignment, that was the only reason of the heli behaving very strange. Setu up everything back, and I am amazed to see not even a single incident of tail blow out in 3 consecutive battery packs. With the stock motor I was loosing tail with anything I did.

Now, for starters this is not a bad upgrade at all, most likely cheapest, I got this motor from jade for 23 usd

Oh, your are not alone. Unfortunately those who endeavor into this hobby end up being spread pretty far apart. I don't know anyone in my home town that flies. There is a RC modelers club here, but i haven't been flying big enough to go pay for the dues and registration insurance all this kind of stuff they have on their site. besides that, the only times i go flying, no one is ever at their GIANT field with a runway and everything. Gates are closed and there might be 1 guy in there. So even though the hobby exists here it feels very exclusive and not fun to go that route. So here we are online i guess...

Whats that saying? Those who can, DO. Those who can't, Teach?

I'm glad your enjoying it. It will only get better from here. A few $$ later of course
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Hi,

Ok, I have installed the new rx on the heli, had to swap the pit and aeliron servo wires on rx.

Tried to setup the swash and it looks ok, however there is a very strange issue. When I spool the heli, the swash wants to tilt without any input given by my on aeliron or elevator stick. It comes back to normal as soon as I cut off the throttle.

Am uploading a video to show the issue, I hope that the rx is not a bad one, it was a very hard decision to buy this in the first place

I thought that as the heli turned a bit when it spools up, I also tried holding the heli in hand and then spooling it up, but the results were then same. It also seems that the more time I leave it running, the more the swash gets tilted. Kindly help if possible ...

Video:
Rx2622v on v120d05 trying to setup (0 min 24 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:42 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

Ok, I have installed the new rx on the heli, had to swap the pit and aeliron servo wires on rx.

Tried to setup the swash and it looks ok, however there is a very strange issue. When I spool the heli, the swash wants to tilt without any input given by my on aeliron or elevator stick. It comes back to normal as soon as I cut off the throttle.

Am uploading a video to show the issue, I hope that the rx is not a bad one, it was a very hard decision to buy this in the first place

I thought that as the heli turned a bit when it spools up, I also tried holding the heli in hand and then spooling it up, but the results were then same. It also seems that the more time I leave it running, the more the swash gets tilted. Kindly help if possible ...

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3YSfVKdTvQ
video is private. It sounds like the gyro is working backwards. Perhaps the wires are not correct still. how is the tail behaving? did you install the RX in the right direction? I will watch the video and see if i can help more. also make sure all the wires are plugged in tightly. These little plugs are not great. Me and Travis both had issues like this getting the RX working. Once it's right it should be stable for a while.