HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:08 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,029 Posts
V120D05CS-PRO - Finally getting the hang of 3d on this bird (5 min 35 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:01 PM
Registered User
Travis MCH's Avatar
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
Good video!

Gotta love that sound, it's very much like the big boy 450's. That's one of the reason's I like my D05's more than the D02s. The shaft drive of my D02s and M120 both have that growel of the transmission gear that drowns out the rotor and motor sound.

Anyway, I tweaked the gyro pots on my second D05 and finally got it dialed in just right. No tail wag, wobble, or jitter. It's very stable now, holds well on pitch pumps and manuvers around real nice. I really like the new D02s head and shaft set up, I should have done this weeks ago. My front and back yard really limit my flying space due to all the large trees and low branchs. Hopefully I can get to the field tomorrow for some open air flying.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:26 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
Good video!

Gotta love that sound, it's very much like the big boy 450's. That's one of the reason's I like my D05's more than the D02s. The shaft drive of my D02s and M120 both have that growel of the transmission gear that drowns out the rotor and motor sound.

Anyway, I tweaked the gyro pots on my second D05 and finally got it dialed in just right. No tail wag, wobble, or jitter. It's very stable now, holds well on pitch pumps and manuvers around real nice. I really like the new D02s head and shaft set up, I should have done this weeks ago. My front and back yard really limit my flying space due to all the large trees and low branchs. Hopefully I can get to the field tomorrow for some open air flying.
Yeah, the other nice thing is the shafts don't bend easy! Even if they do bend, with the 2622V RX it's not an issue till they are really wobbling about in rotation. I've been flying with a slightly bent shaft and FS on my d02S for weeks now. Funny thing about flying with a bent shaft that don't wobble your gyros around. Once it's bent, it's Really hard to bend it again except for in the same direction. I usually straighten my shafts and just swap them out. As a result i've only had to buy maybe 4-5 main shafts for the d02s. One of which was for the D05 upgrade

I usually just take them out eventually, drill about 6 holes 0.5mm smaller than the shaft into a 2x4 block of wood. Hook your shaft into the tip of the drill and begin moving the shaft down the first hole till the shaft starts getting hot. The more you do this the more you'll be able to feel the bends and know where they are. I use the round bottom of a drill bit and run it along the side of the shaft while it's spinning to feel for the bends. Just keep running the shaft up and down inside the first hole till it's almost smoking and the shaft is hot. Check the shaft for bends again when it's hot. If it's still bent move to the 2nd hole and repeat the process. You can add some side pressure or slight tilting to try to bend the shaft back to true if you need to but be careful. Side pressure and tilting force when the shaft is spinning and hot will make it break easily. Also be sure to grab the shaft with the drill above the pin hole in the shaft. It's a weak point and will break off in your drill if your not careful.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,029 Posts
Sooooo... Found a soft spot in the tail boom of the D05. A vulnerability in the tail box in a crash landing on the skids. The tail box that wraps around the tail boom literally tore open and shot the tail box and fin right off. I don't have these parts so it's going to be a week or 2 before i can fly it again. Was interesting and i've found my sweet spot for the pitch curve so i'm happy. I'll be working with lighter throttle curves later. The point is to increase the flight time while keeping efficient power output for 3d flight.

Enjoy my pain:
V120D05CS-PRO - Crash! - The tail is not as durable as I thought (4 min 35 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:09 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2008
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Thanks again Terence, eagerly awaiting my 4f200 and v450 parts. Excellent pricing. I assume, as i also assumed with the 4f200 sale, these parts won't be restocked?


And for everyone else here is a 3d video shot after all my testing videos posted in my build log, located in my blog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cCbcOIsUEM
Most of them will not be re-stocked again after clearance sale. However I may re-stock some popular parts or parts those people most needed.

Terence
http://www.chinesejade.com/walkeraV120D05.htm
tterence is offline Find More Posts by tterence
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:13 PM
Registered User
Travis MCH's Avatar
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
Ehirobo is selling the bind and fly D05 for $99. Change the RX to a 2622V, add the 215-T motor and D02s head assembly and main shaft and you've got an awsome heli for around $230. I know this is still more than a new D02s but with a higher torque motor and belt drive that you just can't beat. You won't need Bob's slipper clutch with this baby.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:28 PM
Registered User
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
anybody knows if this will work on the v120d05?

http://helircstore.com/shop/index.ph...product_id=166

i was thinking of getting it, but i dont think it is meant to recieve the d05 tail.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:06 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
anybody knows if this will work on the v120d05?

http://helircstore.com/shop/index.ph...product_id=166

i was thinking of getting it, but i dont think it is meant to recieve the d05 tail.
No, i don't think it will accommodate the tail or main gear. Besides, these frames are horrible! They are super heavy and you need a better motor than even the TA215 to really punch it up. The 215 will still fly it though, you just don't have the punch to counter all the extra weight. Ask anyone that owns a M120. It's heavier than the d05. and the D05 is already quite heavy with it's tail and 900 mAh pack.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:00 AM
Registered User
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
No, i don't think it will accommodate the tail or main gear. Besides, these frames are horrible! They are super heavy and you need a better motor than even the TA215 to really punch it up. The 215 will still fly it though, you just don't have the punch to counter all the extra weight. Ask anyone that owns a M120. It's heavier than the d05. and the D05 is already quite heavy with it's tail and 900 mAh pack.
Ok, thanks, thats what i thought. Cant wait for this day to be over and get back to flying a few...
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:26 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
Ok, thanks, thats what i thought. Cant wait for this day to be over and get back to flying a few...
Rain up there too i guess huh? It's been raining here since yesterday. Sucks. I'm trying to go out between cells but they move pretty quickly. It's hard to predict even with radar on my phone.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:26 PM
Registered User
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Rain up there too i guess huh? It's been raining here since yesterday. Sucks. I'm trying to go out between cells but they move pretty quickly. It's hard to predict even with radar on my phone.
Yeah, rain has been off and on today, hopefully after work when i get home i will have a little bit of stcik time. I have made it a goal in life to flip the v120d05 with its stock motor before i do the motor upgrade.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:26 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
Yeah, rain has been off and on today, hopefully after work when i get home i will have a little bit of stcik time. I have made it a goal in life to flip the v120d05 with its stock motor before i do the motor upgrade.

Yeah, good luck with that
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:20 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,029 Posts
Here is some pictures of the tail section of my D05 after planting the tail fin in the ground. My best guess is that the heli rolled over but the tail did not want to go with it. The tail section has a factory split in the tail and a screw to tighten it to the boom. Well, it tore on the opposite side of the factory split. All most all the way back too. It even split the tail boom a little and i bent it back out to round to try and salvage the tail boom.. Why?? i donno, they are only like $2. But it gave me something to do.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:51 PM
Registered User
Travis MCH's Avatar
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
Like the Big Lebowski once said, "that's a real bummer man"
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:28 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,029 Posts
I have updated the build log for my v120d05 with some experimental improvements on adding durability to the weakened modified main gear from drilling it out for the upgrade to custom "S" rotor head from the D02S. Also another experimental additional mod to the main gear cap to help keep the main shaft secure and to prevent the gear cap's nipple from being worn down, causing play in the main shaft in the first place.

Link to the whole build log:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post22050845

Link to the post on the main gear durability:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...45&postcount=8
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Belt-driven tail FP helis? APJudson Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 47 Oct 17, 2010 02:22 PM
Question Shaft Driven or Belt Driven 4WD? deathstar Car Talk 5 Dec 04, 2009 05:38 AM
Discussion Motor driven tail rotor spin the same as belt driven tail? BowerR64 Micro Helis 4 Mar 17, 2008 11:53 PM