HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:53 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,450 Posts
NEAT Fair Sat night slow flyer contest rules

HI Gang

These rules will be posted on the www.neatfair.org website but I'm posting them here to get a head start.

There are four frequencies that will not be available for the slow fly contest that night, due to demos that will go on at the same time. I don't have those handy, I will post them here later today.

SATURDAY NIGHT SLOW FLYER CONTEST

BASIC RULES

·CONTESTANTS MUST REPORT IN BY 8:30PM SATURDAY NIGHT NEAR THE HQ TENT.
·FLYING WILL BEGIN WHEN SUFFICIENTLY DARK.
·MODELS MUST WEIGH 16 OUNCES OR LESS.
·MODELS MUST BE "SLOW FLYER/PARK FLYER TYPE MODELS, NO SPEEDY LITTLE "HOTLINERS" ALLOWED, EVEN IF LIGHTER THAN 16 OUNCES.
·MODELS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE LANDING GEAR AND TAKE-OFF FROM THE GROUND, BUT A DIFFICULTY FACTOR OF 1.05 WILL BE MULTIPLIED TO THE SCORE OF TASKS 1,2,3 IF ROG OCCURS.
·7 CELLS OR LESS NICD/NIMH , 2 CELLS OR LESS LIPO/LIO
·NO MOTOR RESTRICTIONS
·NO CAPACITY RESTRICTIONS
·MODELS MAY BE LIGHTED, BUT GROUND BASED LIGHTS CANNOT BE USED TO ILLUMINATE THE MODEL

CONTESTANTS WILL BE GIVEN 3 MINUTES TO COMPLETE AS MANY “TASKS” AS HE/SHE CAN. ALL FOUR TASKS MUST BE ATTEMPTED BEFORE ANY CAN BE REPEATED.

TASKS POINTS WILL BE WEIGHTED BY DIFFICULTY

TASK 1. TAKE OFF AND LAND AT A DISTANT SPOT (ACCURACY).
Two 8ft diameter lighted circles will be placed on the ground 100ft apart. The pilot will stand in the #1 spot, take off (either from the ground or a hand-launch) and fly to the #2 spot and attempt to land in the lighted circle (if the model rises off the ground, the model must be in the air by the midway point between the two spots). The model must also pass between the two spotlights. Points will be awarded for landing completely in the spot (100pts), or any part of the model crossing the boundary (50pts). The clock starts when the model is thrown or begins motion on the ground. The clock will stop when the model comes to rest. If the model passes over either of the spotlights, and the modeler manages to make the spot landing, point values will be halved.

TASK 2. TAKE OFF FROM NEW SPOT AND RETURN TO ORIGINAL SPOT.
The pilot will pick up his model, stand in the #2, launch or ROG the model and fly the model to the #1 spot. Rules for Task 1 apply.

TASK 3. TAKE OFF AND NEGOTIATE TRIANGULAR COURSE
The pilot will stand and fly from the #1 lighted circle. Three spotlights will mark a triangular course, similar to a pylon racing layout. The pilot will take-off (clock will start) or hand launch the model and fly around the triangular course without passing between or over the any of the lights. The pilot must successfully complete 3 laps before moving on to the last task. Each completed lap will be worth 50 points.

TASK 4. LIMBO
While still in the air from Task 3, the pilot will proceed to the Limbo course. Two illuminated limbo poles sets will be set up. The “far” set will be 8 ft high and reside near the “far” pylon spotlight. The “near” limbo poles will be 4 ft high and reside just outboard of the “near” pair of pylon lights. The modeler may pass through the limbo gates in either order. At the far end, the model must not only pass below the top of the limbo poles, but must fly over the spotlight. At the “near” end, the model must pass below the 4 ft poles and pass between the lights. 50 pts will be awarded for completing the 8ft limbo, 100pts for the 4 ft.

If any time is remaining on the 3 minute clock, the model may chose to repeat any previous task for extra points. Two-three rounds will be flown as time permits.
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Jul 21, 2003 at 09:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:54 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,450 Posts
course layout
Old Jul 21, 2003, 05:09 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,450 Posts
The following channel #s on the 72mhz band will not be available for the slow flyer contest.

13, 23, 47, 58

Tom
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:39 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Thanks for posting them. I still wish I could use three LiPos (won't need to swap motors/controllers then), but I'll come prepared to use two.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 26, 2003, 01:18 AM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,742 Posts
I too would like to use 3 li-poly cells. I have an astro 010 on my night plane and would hardly call it overpowered with 3 cells.
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Jul 27, 2003, 11:06 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KeithK
I too would like to use 3 li-poly cells. I have an astro 010 on my night plane and would hardly call it overpowered with 3 cells.
I have 3 cells in my mini T3D and its' WAY overpowered for this event, although it meets all the other criteria...

you have to set a limit somewhere....

2 LiPo's are approximatly equivelent to 7 Nicd/nimh.

Tough... dems da rules... as dey say in brooklyn.

Tom
Old Jul 30, 2003, 01:31 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Fine, be that way!

I'll bring an EPS-300C and a two-cell pack for the night flying..... and build the night flying system around that supply voltage.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC