Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 06, 2011, 09:09 AM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Did my maiden flight yesterday and things went pretty well. Had CG at the indicated spot and seemed a tick tail heavy as it needed a few clicks of down ELE. Flew around for about 6 min and came in to land into a 5mph head wind, floated down slow and gently. Touch down was as smooth as any I have done and both mains pulled out of the foam as she nosed in. No real damage just a little road rash on the bottom of the cowl.
Had this same problem on the first flight with my PZ Corsair and re-glued both gear plates with white gorilla glue and they have been good for 10+ flights. The Corsair gear plates are large with spikes onto the foam, the P-51 gear mounts are tiny. I Gorilla glued them back in and we'll see what happens.
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2011, 10:56 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper1977 View Post
Did my maiden flight yesterday and things went pretty well. Had CG at the indicated spot and seemed a tick tail heavy as it needed a few clicks of down ELE. Flew around for about 6 min and came in to land into a 5mph head wind, floated down slow and gently. Touch down was as smooth as any I have done and both mains pulled out of the foam as she nosed in. No real damage just a little road rash on the bottom of the cowl.
Had this same problem on the first flight with my PZ Corsair and re-glued both gear plates with white gorilla glue and they have been good for 10+ flights. The Corsair gear plates are large with spikes onto the foam, the P-51 gear mounts are tiny. I Gorilla glued them back in and we'll see what happens.
I've had a PZ Corsair for well over a year and reglued the lg plates with Gorilla Glue and haven't had any problem with them since.

Is this white Gorilla Glue the non-expanding type as another poster used earlier in this thread? Gorilla Glue works really well on this type of foam, but it expands so much that sometimes that creates issues.
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Jul 2010
390 Posts
VIDEO # 2:

2011-02-04 - Flight Day (5 min 5 sec)
cmerighe is offline Find More Posts by cmerighe
Old Feb 06, 2011, 05:05 PM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
I had about 10 flights today on my P51 - definitely NOT a good plane for taxiing - took the gear of and hand tossed and it was a HUGE different - no gear going back on this plane -
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT
Old Feb 06, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
Hmm, it seems many people have trouble with the landing gear. I have not yet had a problem with mine and I have about 10 flight on it. Some landings were rough but the gear held up. I don't like the turning radius for taxiing (hard to turn around) but other than that it handles fine for me.

I also had problems with my PZ Corsair and its landing gear. The left one fell out on takeoff of my second flight (the plane took off and left one gear on the ground). I landed in grass. No damage. Then at about the fifth flight the right one came off on a regular landing. I actually didn't find any glue on either of them. Either PZ does not use glue here (which is insane) or someone forgot on my model. Either way. I used 5 minute epoxy and it wasn't come off yet.
sp3hybrid is offline Find More Posts by sp3hybrid
Old Feb 06, 2011, 06:02 PM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
yea...i was told to bend the gear to where the center of the wheels are even with the leading edge of the wing when looking down - bout that time the mount broke so i took them off - looks ALOT better flying without gear anyways
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT
Old Feb 06, 2011, 10:38 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
WebDr, I dont know how I missed this thread! Great Job (and thanks for letting me help)!!

I just read up on some of the comments and thought I would respond to a few things.

We fly a lot together; and since this review, Webdr's P-51 has quickly become a regular out at the field (we even flew it today).

For those interested in comparing it to the PZ P-51, I think they fly like totally different birds. I have the PZ and Doc has the TH version; personally I enjoy the PZ but it did not ride to the field with me for very long. This TH version continues to make it out for missions. The word that comes to mind when flying the TH version is "nostalgic." TH to me, looks and flies more scale.

Sp3hybrid, Great Pics thanks for sharing!

Cmerighe~ sweet maiden, you greased that landing

* Ive seen a few references to Gorilla Glue throughout the thread. I wanted to also suggest the use of 100% foam safe CA and accelerator (kicker). It works fantastic and sets for a strong bond in a matter of seconds.

I also had a few tips on Gorilla glue use. First, as you may know by now, this glue expands as it dries. Be mindful of using too much and always check alignment of parts while glue is setting; when the glue expands, it can have some negative effects if you use too much and may push a landing gear mount out of place.

Another suggestion that helps me keep things "neat" when using gorilla is to very thoroughly tape over the glued area (usually with electrical tape). You will notice a bubble form under the tape as the glue expands, and as there is not much air, it may take a day to set. When you think it is set, wait another few hours before removing tape. After you remove tape, you will need to sand the glued area flush with the wing (or fuse).

SMCLEODVT, I do not really agree with you that this plane does not taxi well. (but everyone's got their own take on it...)

Since some have found out the hard way, I wanted to point out another characteristic for those of you new to flying a taildragger, they absolutely require FULL up elevator to keep the tailwheel pinned to the ground to prevent a nose over when rolling out on a taxi. This is a tactic full scale pilots use as well to prevent nose-overs when they are on the ground. Once the plane is moving at a few miles an hour you can slowly return the elevator to neutral and the tail will rise off the ground as you pick up speed, then give a little more elevator and go for the clouds This afternoon, I was not giving full up elevator for a moment while on taxi with my Katana and I nosed over and broke a nice Xoar prop... I learned the hard way too

It is a natural flaw of the taildragger design, they are inherently more difficult to taxi than a tricycle gear configuration; but I do not think this plane taxis any worse than any of my other taildraggers..here is an example of a L-4 (cub) nosing over when the pilot was not full back on the elevator:
Piper L-4A Cub, OY-ECV Prop Strikes ground (1 min 53 sec)

Bradley B
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bsbauman; Feb 06, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
noobie--doing a sim and joining an rc club--will have several flights with club trainer on a buddy box--I just received the p-51 here in Iowa and am beginning to assemble it--with the weakness of the landing gear could you epoxy or screw in a small steel plate horizonally across both the front and back of each plastic gear mounting plate on both sides of the plane to strengthen it. Apologize in advance for my stupid question. There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. LOL
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:53 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostomper View Post
noobie--doing a sim and joining an rc club--will have several flights with club trainer on a buddy box--I just received the p-51 here in Iowa and am beginning to assemble it--with the weakness of the landing gear could you epoxy or screw in a small steel plate horizonally across both the front and back of each plastic gear mounting plate on both sides of the plane to strengthen it. Apologize in advance for my stupid question. There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. LOL
steel plates in the gear wells, eh. I would think not. might do more damage than good. I would just practice belly landing without the gear on a grass field until you get the hang of it. A little bit of epoxy will also help.
Matt
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:20 AM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostomper View Post
You could use a piece of plywood instead, slotted to fit over the stock plate.
I found some landing gear plates for a PZ T-28 I might try using to replace the stock mounts. This will require bending new gear, but will still be removable.
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:22 AM
Joined Jul 2010
390 Posts
MY LANDING GEAR SOLUTION:

I tried to fix the broken landing gear with Gorilla glue to no avail. It lasted one flight.

Over the weekend, I replaced them with the complete landing gear set (mount + wheels) from the ParkZone Corsair. It's cheap. The Corsair's mount is large and strong, and it can take a huge beating.

I glued them in place using a very generous amount of Gorilla glue. I wanted it to expand and fill in all the gaps inside because removing the stock gears left a sizable hole in the wing. Gorilla glue did its thing; it expanded from absolutely everywhere. It's messy, but it feels like concrete now.

I am anxious to see the flight results. I'll be posting a video showing the new landing gear and a flight by the weekend.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 09:51 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmerighe View Post

Gorilla glue did its thing; it expanded from absolutely everywhere. It's messy, but it feels like concrete now.
Try putting tape over the area you glue next time. It ensures the glue expands into the foam and is much less messy.

Glad to hear its all good to go, I look forward to some vids
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:20 PM
Joined Jul 2010
390 Posts
The landing gear set (mounts + wheels) from a ParkZone Corsair works PERFECTLY. I had several flights yesterday (serveral battery packs), ranking from mild to rough landings, and the new landing gears are quite strong. Now the plane's ONLY weakness is gone for me. The Corsair's wheel mounts are large, strong plastic mounts with sharp prongs that get inserted deeply into the wing. The Gorilla glue expanded, and it feels like it's set in concrete.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:22 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
Nice !
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Feb 13, 2011, 01:49 PM
Joined Jul 2010
390 Posts
THIS CLIP INCLUDES TWO LANDINGS:

Homemade RC Plane (Mustang) crashes on take-off (9 min 52 sec)