SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird View Post
How stable is this in moderately windy conditions - i frequently have a fair amount of wind that restricts exactly what i can fly. So I dont want another low-wind-only flyer...

Is this the current best value in a p51 about this size?
I found it relatively stable in moderate winds. I flew mine a few days ago in 8 mph gusty winds (according to the weather channel) and it did fine. My PZ corsair seems to mind the wind more. This is a foam plane so wind will always be an issue, but it is not super light. It has sufficient mass and power to withstand moderate wind I think. If you think the PZ corsair does ok in the wind, then this one will be just fine as well.
sp3hybrid is offline Find More Posts by sp3hybrid
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:17 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2002
488 Posts
Nice video Carlos, especially the landing!

Paul
Paul5910 is offline Find More Posts by Paul5910
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:42 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,812 Posts
Okay, I'm in for one! Had a $20 off coupon and a $50 gift card so it was $55 shipped!
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Feb 02, 2011, 06:05 AM
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
if you order one get extra props
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT
Old Feb 02, 2011, 06:29 AM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Does anyone have specs on the stock motor installed in the P-51?
Also a question on what battery to use. Most of the post I read prefer a 1800 mah 3s as that is the recomended battery. I did some test with my watt meter with the stock prop. 1800mah 3s 20c got 145W a 2200mah 3s 30c got 240W. That's a huge difference of almost 100W for a 26g weight difference. In the manual they list using 1800 to 2100mah 15c batteries. Will this bird fly well on 145W?
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper1977 View Post
Does anyone have specs on the stock motor installed in the P-51?
Also a question on what battery to use. Most of the post I read prefer a 1800 mah 3s as that is the recomended battery. I did some test with my watt meter with the stock prop. 1800mah 3s 20c got 145W a 2200mah 3s 30c got 240W. That's a huge difference of almost 100W for a 26g weight difference. In the manual they list using 1800 to 2100mah 15c batteries. Will this bird fly well on 145W?
I went with the 2200maH 20c lipos in my and it flies great - and it floats on lading
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:58 PM
The ground is approaching fast
Lewisville, TX
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird View Post
How stable is this in moderately windy conditions - i frequently have a fair amount of wind that restricts exactly what i can fly. So I dont want another low-wind-only flyer...

Is this the current best value in a p51 about this size?
I flew this plane last week in about 10-15mph winds and I would say its about the limit I would fly this plane in. I had to stay on full throttle pretty much the whole time and it flew well but there were a few situations where it was just getting pushed around. I still love this plane but have since gotten a larger plane that will handle winds a little better since it seems we have a lot of windy days around here. Well it gets windy by the time I usually fly which is around noon on most days.
kaging is offline Find More Posts by kaging
Old Feb 02, 2011, 06:02 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCLEODVT View Post
if you order one get extra props
Ah...I should have done that!

Anyone know what APC prop could be substituted?

Regards,
Pete
Old Feb 02, 2011, 06:59 PM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
Ah...I should have done that!

Anyone know what APC prop could be substituted?

Regards,
Pete
i just order the stock - if you find out a good apc size let me know
Old Feb 02, 2011, 07:39 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
APC 9x4.5 E Thin Electric is a direct replacement prop.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:04 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaging View Post
APC 9x4.5 E Thin Electric is a direct replacement prop.
Thanks! I think I might pick up a spare or two!
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:49 AM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaging View Post
I flew this plane last week in about 10-15mph winds and I would say its about the limit I would fly this plane in. I had to stay on full throttle pretty much the whole time and it flew well but there were a few situations where it was just getting pushed around. I still love this plane but have since gotten a larger plane that will handle winds a little better since it seems we have a lot of windy days around here. Well it gets windy by the time I usually fly which is around noon on most days.
I am also in texas - thats why i have the wind concern.
So which larger one did you get?
Has anyone glassed this plane or used heavier battery & if so did that help with winds?
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Feb 04, 2011, 01:43 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,812 Posts
Got my P-51 today! Only took 1 day to get here as they shipped from their Nevada warehouse.

Installed a Deans connector and it's all ready to go except for a rx which I hope to get tomorrow. Ordered up some 3s1800 lipos from the USA Hobby King warehouse, but I have plenty of 3s 2200s until they get here.

Quality is nice, especially considering the price. It seems a bit better than a Parkzone (I have their Corsair). The prop is interesting, it has little "winglets" on the ends which I've not seen before. It was quite unbalanced...glad I took the time to balance it.

Hopefully I'll be able to maiden this weekend if the winds die down and I get the time...

Pete
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:21 AM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
texbird, I wanted to get the 52" escapade for a long time but the opportunity came to get the 68" version so I got that one instead. Its currently sitting at the mailbox at work since I'm snowed in can't make it to work to pick it up Its 9lbs and should handle the wind well, the 52" version which is a bit cheaper should handle the wind as well.

For batteries on the P-51 I've been using 2200 20c and they have been working well, the cg is right on the money with these also.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 12:39 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,812 Posts
Not a very successful maiden on my part! When you set the CG, make sure you take the reading right at the wing root (next to the fuselage). I did it about 1/2" out (the wing flairs out from the fuselage. My fault, it appears the dots molding into the top of the wing is the correct CG point. Mine CG was ~1/2" back of that.

It's been a long time since I've maidened a plane with a too aft CG. Not fun. It kept ballooning and full down elevator trim was not stabilizing it. Also, it want to roll right even when I was flying level. Full left trim didn't cure this completely.

I actually flew it this way for awhile because I was dreading the landing. Needless to say, the landing wasn't pretty. Broken prop, scuffed wing tips, scuffed spinner and scuffed cowling (on the bottom). One main landing gear plate needs to be re-glued. All things considered, it could have been worse.

Got the prop replaced with an APC. Motor shaft seems fine. Now I need to glue the lg plate in place. Not sure if I have gorilla glue...any other glue that works?