HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:43 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmerighe View Post
Based on the video included with this review, I am wondering if it will be hard to land it!?
haha. Cute.
well its not a trainer if that answers your question.
First landing, coming in, as I described in the review (hint) it requires being on the throttle, which I wasnt, and she dropped in a little short.
2nd landing was a floater from the wind, nothing more.
Matt
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:43 PM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
Pictures of my maiden flight

I maidened mine yesterday. As mentioned here are some pics. It was cold and windy, but the plane is a blast to fly.
sp3hybrid is offline Find More Posts by sp3hybrid
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:51 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,056 Posts
Very nice! thanks for posting.
matt
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:58 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2007
569 Posts
Could I fly this with a 2600mAh lipo?
ToxicBanana is offline Find More Posts by ToxicBanana
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:39 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3hybrid View Post
Hi everyone,

I just maidened mine today and I was quite impressed by it. A lot of fun to fly. Hardly any trim needed out of the box. CG was dead on. It was a bit of a windy day and I hadn't flown in a while so I took my PZ Corsair with me to fly first. I really like my corsair, but the P-51 seemed faster and handled the wind better than the corsair.
The review says it flies more like a balsa plane and I have to agree. I maidened it with one of these Super Tiger 1800mAh 15C huge and heavy bricks of a lipo battery. I really like that the battery mounts over the CG, so there are no CG worries when you change batteries. The plane flew beautifully with the heavy battery and was much more stable than the corsair. Plenty of power too.
A friend of mine took some pictures of the flight. I may post once I get them. Its a great little plane for the price. Especially if you get the discounts and free shipping. This will be a frequent flyer for me.
Congrats!
This plane would be very hard to beat the price for the FUN and quality and included electronics that it offers. I think the balsa (or wood) re-inforced foam is what makes it fly better (stable). The coolest thing is you could remove the main gears to make it more scale, and can be landed on dirt with gears, unlike the PKZ. I got 2 of the PKZs, but it would be nice to have another mustang .

cmerighe, first off it's a strong model, second it's light, third it's stable & slows down without stalling, those are the characteristics you'd be looking for to land the model without causing damages.
-Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:41 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicBanana View Post
Could I fly this with a 2600mAh lipo?
OMG, don't.
The lighter the plane the better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Jul 2010
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
haha. Cute.
well its not a trainer if that answers your question.
First landing, coming in, as I described in the review (hint) it requires being on the throttle, which I wasnt, and she dropped in a little short.
2nd landing was a floater from the wind, nothing more.
Matt
I'll make sure I keep some throttle on for landing, rather than cutting power and watching it drop. That's similar to landing my PZ's micro Mustang.
cmerighe is offline Find More Posts by cmerighe
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:37 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2007
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
OMG, don't.
The lighter the plane the better.
What would be the heaviest battery you recommend?
ToxicBanana is offline Find More Posts by ToxicBanana
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:53 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicBanana View Post
What would be the heaviest battery you recommend?
stick w/ the 1800. It gives nice long flights.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:27 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
Quote:
stick w/ the 1800. It gives nice long flights.
I agree. The stock motor is very efficient. 1800 will give some good flight time.
Increasing weigth, increases wing loading (= less easier to land).
Less weight = less wing loading = floats better = easier to land.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:00 AM
Joined Jul 2010
395 Posts
Status: Mine arrived yesterday. I had NO time to unbox it, so I start my new adventure tonight. I'll be posting a video here by the weekend.
SHIPPING: Unlike Hobby King, which I now avoid because I don't like to use any companies that use Pony Express as their only shipper, TOWER HOBBIES' shipping is VERY FAST. Mine arrived in two business days!!!!!!! (With Hobby King, I usually forget that I ordered the item by the time I get it. It's not worth it for me.)

I have not opened the box yet, so I am hoping the plane is intact inside. This is only the second plane I order online. The first one was a plane from NitroPlanes (never again!), whose terrible packaging caused the plane to arrive with a broken wingtip and hinges. Getting a replacement was an absolute nightmare for me. I have ordered from Tower Hobbies before, and I had a positive experience. I have high expectations, and nothing goes unpublished these days.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:20 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,056 Posts
Quote:
Status: Mine arrived yesterday. I had NO time to unbox it, so I start my new adventure tonight. I'll be posting a video here by the weekend.
SHIPPING: Unlike Hobby King, which I now avoid because I don't like to use any companies that use Pony Express as their only shipper, TOWER HOBBIES' shipping is VERY FAST. Mine arrived in two business days!!!!!!! (With Hobby King, I usually forget that I ordered the item by the time I get it. It's not worth it for me.)

I have not opened the box yet, so I am hoping the plane is intact inside. This is only the second plane I order online. The first one was a plane from NitroPlanes (never again!), whose terrible packaging caused the plane to arrive with a broken wingtip and hinges. Getting a replacement was an absolute nightmare for me. I have ordered from Tower Hobbies before, and I had a positive experience. I have high expectations, and nothing goes unpublished these days.
You should have it built in an hour
It goes together way too fast...leaves you thinking that you missed some important step

In fact, I think the longest part of the build is waiting for the battery to charge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:49 PM
Joined Jul 2010
395 Posts
Quote:
You should have it built in an hour
It goes together way too fast...leaves you thinking that you missed some important step

In fact, I think the longest part of the build is waiting for the battery to charge.
I do have an issue, the connectors that the ESC comes with. I have hated them with other models; therefore, I will be replacing them first. I am currently replacing connectors with the EC3 connectors, although the dean connectors are my favorite.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Jan 2009
207 Posts
Quote:
I do have an issue, the connectors that the ESC comes with. I have hated them with other models; therefore, I will be replacing them first. I am currently replacing connectors with the EC3 connectors, although the dean connectors are my favorite.
I bought a super tiger battery which comes with the same connector,cut the connector off the battery leaving a little of the leads and then soldered an EC3 connector to each end. Now my battery has EC3 and I have an adapter for the ESC.
sp3hybrid is offline Find More Posts by sp3hybrid
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
44 Posts
newbie question

Ok I am new to the hobby and just got the Super Cub LP for Christmas. Still a lot to learn with that and I am on a steep learning curve. I only have about 4-5 flights in right now but feeling pretty comfortable...

My question is how long (how many flights, hours.. or however you want to phrase it) do you think it will take before I can competently fly these micro warbirds.. I just love those things!!!
pdwire is offline Find More Posts by pdwire