raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr600f2 View Post
Hey Raz,

Can you show some pics of your retract install and the fwd placement of the wheels that you mention? How did the installation affect your CG ?

Thanks in advance

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. Basically we cut the wheel well opening in an oblong shape so the wheel could go forward about 1/2". That puts the wheel on top of the CF spar so I took a Dremill and cut a section out so the tire can retract all the way up. To keep the wings strong I added a new CF rod just behind the old one (under the packing tape). When you remove the 1/2" section of foam from the front of the opening save it to glue on the rear of the opening so it keeps it's round shape. As for effecting the CG I installed the retracts right away then balanced the plane so I can't say on that but it balances with no added weight anywhere.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:48 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Nov 2007
351 Posts
Thanks Raz,

I have a set of retracts from HK on order and I also have a spare wing set for the 51 that I plan on using to put them into.
cbr600f2 is offline Find More Posts by cbr600f2
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
Does anyone know what the top speed of this bird is with a stock setup?
jon.moab is offline Find More Posts by jon.moab
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Let's get this going again! I just got my 3rd Stang for $109.00 shipped! I have a $700.00 Hanger 9 80" Piper Pawnee, a 66" Pitts Super Sport and a 60" Hanger9 P-51 and this little 51 is my favorite! I flew my 1st two with the modded gear as I never hand launched a plane. Well after getting a HK Stinger 64 I got damn good at hand launching and belly landing. This is not the same plane without gear! It flys and handles completely different. I have a Super Tiger .10 in mine with a 9x7.5 prop on it and it hauls ass (I would guess, 65mph)!!!!! I have my flaps set on my flap switch at 40% down and 20% up elevator just for the launch and sometimes for the landings. A good toss and she up and out and I have to hurry up and flip that switch back real quick or she gets squirrely. This should be every new pilots 2nd plane. And for your best flying and the way a fighter should look in the air...throw away the landing gear, save it for another plane. I also have my aileron rods in the bottom hole of the aileron control horn for quicker and smoother rolls! Painted my wing tips red and darkened the panel lines with some graphite dust for weathering. Gona put on some canary yellow stripes for the Tuskegee planes. Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Last edited by zeezee; Dec 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:14 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,452 Posts
Hey, I just got my second one for $104.00 shipped!!
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:14 PM
Woods Cross UT
Joined Dec 2006
38 Posts
If you have been waiting for the fuselage for the P-51 (like me!) Tower has them back in stock. Finally!!
utah Flyer is offline Find More Posts by utah Flyer
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
This plane is such a good deal I have been thinking about ordering another one and combine the two to make a F-82 Twin Mustang. Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:53 AM
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2013
608 Posts
If you have one of these and like it, try the Hellcat. It's even better IMO. The P-51 while an excellent little warbird has limited glide and aerobatic capabilities. The Hellcat floats much better and tracks like a pattern plane while still having all of the positive quality factors of the P-51.
I got the Hellcat first and was so amazed by its value I got the P-51. I love both but recommend the Hellcat more. The only weakness of the Hellcat is the fragile tail wheel mount.
Noircogi is online now Find More Posts by Noircogi
Old May 08, 2013, 06:51 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
Been running mine on the recommended 3s pack for a few mths now. Finally I got bored with the mediocre performance and Installed a nanotech 4s 2650 pack. All I can say is WOW. This thing is a little beast. Unlimited vertical and high speed passes are lots of fun now. The sound the prop makes at full throttle sounds familiar to a nitro plane. So far I have run 5 packs through the plane and not a single issue. Anyone know the ratings on the ESC that come in this plane?
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2013, 10:08 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,211 Posts
I'm 90% sure it's a 30A, but don't hold me to that. That's what the review on the first page of the thread gives, as well.
mclarkson is online now Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old May 15, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Dec 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
Been running mine on the recommended 3s pack for a few mths now. Finally I got bored with the mediocre performance and Installed a nanotech 4s 2650 pack. All I can say is WOW. This thing is a little beast. Unlimited vertical and high speed passes are lots of fun now. The sound the prop makes at full throttle sounds familiar to a nitro plane. So far I have run 5 packs through the plane and not a single issue. Anyone know the ratings on the ESC that come in this plane?
Did you run on stock motor and esc? how fast would you say it is? m contemplating between this and the pkz p-51d(??)
cb100 is offline Find More Posts by cb100
Old May 16, 2013, 01:31 PM
Joined Jun 2007
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb100 View Post
Did you run on stock motor and esc? how fast would you say it is? m contemplating between this and the pkz p-51d(??)
Go for the THP51 over the PZ, the Tower hobbies is a little bigger, better finished and flies better!
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old May 16, 2013, 02:09 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb100 View Post

We clocked mine at 54 mph all stock except for the retracts I put in.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Nov 07, 2013, 03:51 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
652 Posts
has anyone ever hopped this bird up, bigger everything ?
GassPasser is online now Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:43 AM
United States, IL, Huntley
Joined Oct 2008
375 Posts
Alternate Motor Mount?

Hi,

Anybody come up with a different motor mount for this Mustang?

Thanks,
Ken
KenS999 is offline Find More Posts by KenS999