SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:03 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
New Product
DWFoamies does EPP with a Twist

OK, just got back from a trip to San Diego and look what I found at the Sea World electric field.......

I got to pull on the sticks and this thing flies just like a DW should, precise, snappy and floaty all in one, *and* it has a 9mm EPP fuse joining to a 9mm Depron canopy and turtle deck for added stiffness. The wings and tail surfaces are all 9mm Depron.

I doinked it a few times with not a fear. If you like to fly low you need one! Mike calls it dEPPron Fusion, I call it "The Depp"

Here's what Mike said.

"DWFoamies will be offering the same 40in. line of kits that are listed on our website, in what will be called "dEPPron Fusion". With the combo of Depron and EPP you get a resilient foamie along with the great flying characteristics that DW Depron foamie kits are known for."
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Last edited by FlopGun; Dec 15, 2010 at 06:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2010, 04:31 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,642 Posts
Mike - sent you an email. Please put me in the queue for one of these.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Last edited by DenverJayhawk; Dec 15, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:18 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Hey that's great news! I'm looking for my first 3D foamie and was dead set on getting the DW 40inchers, but was worried about the all depron as a first plane...looks like you made my decision that much simpler!
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:46 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Nice! I've been contemplating scratch building something similar. I'm looking forward to seeing the specs and pricing on the DW.

I like how the fuse right behind the aileron is built out some and rounded. I can see where that will help resist tearing in an otherwise vulnerable spot on other EPP flat planes.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:02 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,278 Posts
How much is the kit?
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:56 AM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
452 Posts
How much does it weigh ready-to-fly?
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:01 PM
Joined May 2004
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
I like how the fuse right behind the aileron is built out some and rounded. I can see where that will help resist tearing in an otherwise vulnerable spot on other EPP flat planes.
Nice catch. That's where I always break my DW's. Will be interested in this for sure.
Sit-N-Fly is online now Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:01 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
DW may need a new motto.. With these dEPPron Fusion planes, the "Glue Fly CRASH" might not work..
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:53 PM
Joined May 2010
2,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly View Post
Nice catch. That's where I always break my DW's. Will be interested in this for sure.
This will be my first 3D foamy. Is this where most damage occurs upon splat? The wings are still depron, but do they usually survive with most damage occurring to the fuse?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:27 PM
Joined May 2004
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
This will be my first 3D foamy. Is this where most damage occurs upon splat? The wings are still depron, but do they usually survive with most damage occurring to the fuse?
I've had four DW GenX 38 inchers. I glassed the last two, before I even flew them, on the fuse right behind the wing. My experience, if you are hovering and bonk it (who, me?), that area was vulnerable. Wings are hardly ever damaged. I was contemplating building my own EPP plane (and may still), but DW's fly so nice that this mod may have me getting #5 anyway.
Sit-N-Fly is online now Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:50 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
My experience is wing damage is unusual in most crashes. How the EPP helps is it absorbs the shock of the crash. So you don't necessarily put it at the weak spot on the airframe, you place the EPP to absorb the shock so it doesn't reverberate to the weak spot. Most bad crashes are some form of nose-in.

If you nose in a DW hard you often get a break in the fuse right behind the wing, but with the EPP nose and lower fuse, the shockwave will be absorbed in the nose and on down the line, hence, no break.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:28 PM
Watch it...Watch it ...Duck!
San Dimas, CA
Joined Nov 2009
193 Posts
This was my first thump on my 40", tried to half loop from inverted too low. No wing damage.
full flaps is offline Find More Posts by full flaps
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:32 PM
Watch it...Watch it ...Duck!
San Dimas, CA
Joined Nov 2009
193 Posts
This was my second, didn't pull out of a knife edge spin. This time it had slight wing damage at the left root. Two major crashes and the same plane still flies great after a little fixin:
full flaps is offline Find More Posts by full flaps
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:42 AM
Joined May 2010
2,642 Posts
I've been looking for a 40" foamy for several weeks and wasn't sure about depron vs epp. This came just in time for the holidays. Can't wait for the call to say it's ready.